Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #8,671 of 12,324
re: displays. I hate displays with relatively useless information like bit rates or voltage on a power conditioner or volume unit output levels. I don't want any of that and indeed I cover up the LEDs on my Schiit gear now. I know some people love to obsess about such details, but all I care about is if the music is playing, and my ears will tell me that.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #8,672 of 12,324
re: displays. I hate displays with relatively useless information like bit rates or voltage on a power conditioner or volume unit output levels. I don't want any of that and indeed I cover up the LEDs on my Schiit gear now. I know some people love to obsess about such details, but all I care about is if the music is playing, and my ears will tell me that.
For me the two important things on a display have to communicate what input is being used because I use almost all of them and switch all the time, and what volume it is. Otherwise I'm in for an unpleasant surprise as I play a youtube video at Blu Ray volume levels.
That was one of my issues with the Yggy - their input selection indicators were almost impossible to tell from across the living room what it had switched to. Even if you were close to it, you had to decipher tiny heiroglyphics to know what input it was?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #8,673 of 12,324
For me the two important things on a display have to communicate what input is being used because I use almost all of them and switch all the time, and what volume it is. Otherwise I'm in for an unpleasant surprise as I play a youtube video at Blu Ray volume levels.
That was one of my issues with the Yggy - their input selection indicators were almost impossible to tell from across the living room what it had switched to. Even if you were close to it, you had to decipher tiny heiroglyphics to know what input it was?
Hmm. Well, Yggdrasil is not intended to be an input switcher or preamp. :) It has multiple inputs for flexibility, not for on-the-fly switching.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #8,674 of 12,324
Hmm. Well, Yggdrasil is not intended to be an input switcher or preamp. :) It has multiple inputs for flexibility, not for on-the-fly switching.
I'm hoping Mike's digital preamp will come with a remote and fix that...

So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well. It could also have slots for an optional Gadget and maybe for my other idea music processor as well. More on that in a future post. We already have such a device with a reduced feature set on the market, Eitr. Think of it as an expanded, upgradable Eitr.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #8,675 of 12,324
Of course it's meant to be an input switcher. Why else would you have a plethora of inputs that you can use simultaneously and switch on the fly? That's what provides value is that every device you have that is digital can be increased in quality - just like with my Emotiva DACs.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #8,676 of 12,324
Of course it's meant to be an input switcher. Why else would you have a plethora of inputs that you can use simultaneously and switch on the fly? That's what provides value is that every device you have that is digital can be increased in quality - just like with my Emotiva DACs.
I'm not the designer, of course, but I disagree. It is meant to be flexible, allowing for four different types of a single input, depending on what you use as a source. If it was a switcher it would have multiple inputs of a single type, like a preamp. It's a single input DAC, like most of them are unless they are designed with preamp functions.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #8,677 of 12,324
I'm not the designer, of course, but I disagree. It is meant to be flexible, allowing for four different types of a single input, depending on what you use as a source. If it was a switcher it would have multiple inputs of a single type, like a preamp. It's a single input DAC, like most of them are unless they are designed with preamp functions.
*five (four for Gumby)

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #8,678 of 12,324
Well for that rather specific definition, I guess it wasn't designed for that as it doesn't have two of the same. It's also not a preamp as it has no volume control or analog inputs.
But it definitely does switch digital inputs and can do so while all of them are simultaneously pushing digital audio. That's how I used the Gungnir MB and the DC-1.
I would call it having digital switching capability.
Also if you have say two rca coax connections, you can actually use a BNC to RCA adapter to have two rca connections. But you would have to purchase something like that.

For instance I used the BNC for my PC, the optical for my blu ray player, the coax for my Fire TV, and at one time the USB for my laptop. I switched at least 10-20 times a day depending on specifications. Hence my dissapointment because of its lack of remote. Since I have no use for a processor, I use 2 channel dacs to their maximum to be the digital processor in my living room for both entertainement and work purposes.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #8,679 of 12,324
Whatever makes you happy I guess. But you are using it in a non-standard way. I recommend you get a digital preamp. One reason Yggdrasil doesn’t have a remote is because it’s a DAC not a switcher.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #8,680 of 12,324
I recently Upgraded Mjolnir2 and Gumby to Yggy2(Yaggy) and a modded (upgraded capacitors) EC Aficionado. Listening through Ether Flows or Auteurs. I have no idea what the measurements are and could care less. A good drink and some well recorded music and I'm gone Baby.

Yaggy with a true tube amp with good phones is holographic. No shame in owning mid fi or entry level at all, but the next level takes the music from 2 dimensions to 3.

On Yaggy, at least compared to Gumby (so probably the great majority of DACs), it opens up the stage without being diffuse OR clinical. with a 2A3 (and I would very much assume 300B) amp and good phones listening is extremely immersive.

If Yaggy's measurements are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #8,682 of 12,324
I recently Upgraded Mjolnir2 and Gumby to Yggy2(Yaggy) and a modded (upgraded capacitors) EC Aficionado. Listening through Ether Flows or Auteurs. I have no idea what the measurements are and could care less. A good drink and some well recorded music and I'm gone Baby.

Yaggy with a true tube amp with good phones is holographic. No shame in owning mid fi or entry level at all, but the next level takes the music from 2 dimensions to 3.

On Yaggy, at least compared to Gumby (so probably the great majority of DACs), it opens up the stage without being diffuse OR clinical. with a 2A3 (and I would very much assume 300B) amp and good phones listening is extremely immersive.

If Yaggy's measurements are wrong, I don't want to be right.
Similar experience here with the Ether C Flow.
Schiit Yggdrasil + Schiit Jotunheim: flat.
Topping DX7s + Gustard H20: flat.
Schiit Yggdrasil + Gustard H20: depth!

A 3D sound stage with the ECF? Very unexpected, and very welcome.

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #8,683 of 12,324
Similar experience here with the Ether C Flow.
Schiit Yggdrasil + Schiit Jotunheim: flat.
Topping DX7s + Gustard H20: flat.
Schiit Yggdrasil + Gustard H20: depth!

A 3D sound stage with the ECF? Very unexpected, and very welcome.
I've never tried my ECFs with the Yggy I have downstairs on my speaker system, but with the Holo Spring KTE 3 and Neurochrome HP-1 (solid state) or Lyr 3 + Ken Rad VT-231, good depth with the right recordings. Agreed that Jot > ECF lacks depth relative to those other amps.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #8,684 of 12,324
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #8,685 of 12,324
I have a Yggdrasil v2 with input 1 USB, input 3 coax from Oppo DVD player.
I tried to connect my Shanling M0 DAP and I'm not getting any signal registered in the Yggy.

M0 -> Extreme Audio 3.5 to coax cable -> Tendak Coaxial to Optical SPDIF Toslink Bi-directional Swtich Digital Audio Converter Splitter Adapter -> Amazon 6 ft toslink to back of Yggy

Any thoughts?

Mike

Does it really provide digital out from headphone out?

Please try using powered USB hub (M0's USB -> USB Hub input -> USB Hub output to Yggy) in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back