Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #8,641 of 12,194
He will not answer.

Oh look post 86ed

I must say I'm impressed with the tolerance this forum has shown with respect to banning here.
The "ban at the drop of a hat attitude" I've seen so many times certainly is't part of the Head-Fi admin style.:relaxed:
I'll just ignore him.

Hmm. Yep, I figured right now would be a bad time to be posting questions. Better to wait until the hubbub dies down.

A new Yggy thread has been created, nothing but Yggy talk there. Ask away!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...mpressions-thread-read-the-first-post.881737/

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #8,644 of 12,194
While I rarely post here, and never chime in on these kinds of thing, the whole way this is being handled is really making me doubt just how bias the staff here is and how much weight I should put in their reviews. The fact that ADMINS are actively calling out users as other/former users that even in writing style alone are clearly not the same persons, does nothing but damage the Admin/Staff reputation, and the overall reputation of the site.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #8,645 of 12,194
While I rarely post here, and never chime in on these kinds of thing, the whole way this is being handled is really making me doubt just how bias the staff here is and how much weight I should put in their reviews. The fact that ADMINS are actively calling out users as other/former users that even in writing style alone are clearly not the same persons, does nothing but damage the Admin/Staff reputation, and the overall reputation of the site.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's logical to call it a duck. If you find out later that you may have been mistaken and it's really a pretend duck, well sometimes people can be wrong. Nothing unusual about that.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #8,646 of 12,194
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's logical to call it a duck. If you find out later that you may have been mistaken and it's really a pretend duck, well sometimes people can be wrong. Nothing unusual about that.

I don't think he's nwavguy. He's not bright enough.

However, you are quite right: If it walks like a troll and quacks like a troll, it's logical to call it a troll.

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #8,648 of 12,194
Jun 11, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #8,649 of 12,194
I take a different viewpoint...
I think it impressive that Head-Fi allowed the above discussion to come to a logical conclusion, and to leave all posts available for later viewing/review.
And, the discussion here has come to a conclusion.
Let us move to the new thread, created by Currawong, to post our Yggy Impressions. See 'ya there.
I am unsubscribed...wish y'all a fond fondu!
RCB

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #8,650 of 12,194
Mods and admins have access to information the rest of us simply don't.
Having been one on a large site, the complexity of who is who and how, can become a full time job, which most strive to make sure it doesn't become.

This in and of itself can cause many to misread the intentions let alone motivation to 'engage' with certain posters in order to quell the rising problems that can happen if the train is heading for the ground, instead of staying on the tracks.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #8,651 of 12,194
I think it impressive that Head-Fi allowed the above discussion to come to a logical conclusion, and to leave all posts available for later viewing/review.
Let us move to the new thread, created by Currawong, to post our Yggy Impressions. See 'ya there.
RCB

Seems like a good time for that, see ya there.
And I couldn't agree more with your assessment of how Head-Fi dealt with it.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #8,652 of 12,194
Finally...

P_20180611_180737_vHDR_On.jpg

Setup: MacBook Pro into iFi micro iDSD, micro iDSD's line out into Gustard H20, micro iDSD's coax out into Audioquest RCA splitter, from there with identical cables into Yggy (coax) and DX7s (coax). From Yggy's balanced out and DX7s's balanced out with identical cables into Gustard H20's two balanced inputs.

First impressions: Yggy sounds sweeter, has more grip on the bass, cymbals sound nicer, more depth in soundstage. DX7s has something unpleasant about it so far, at least with the default apodizing filter and the brickwall filter. Switched to linear phase, slow roll off and actually liked it afterwards, but had to leave after a few songs (to be continued). At one point, Yggy was somehow less loud than the DX7s and the micro iDSD. Cycled inputs and it was fine again. Weird.

Blind A/B is more difficult here because the DX7s fades in after locking in on a new signal, like after changing the sample rate, thus revealing itself. Just like with the Yggy, the input gets changed by clicking a button (the volume knob in this case). But unlike with Yggy it's not obvious what the next input in sequence is. There's also an annoying delay until the display responds by telling you which input is now active. Yggy's problem is that the button doesn't register reliably. I do like that the DX7s clearly displays the sample rate via its display. The Yggy encodes it via LEDs for which the small labels are offset when looking from the side, making it hard to read correctly.

Feeding the DX7s with my old phone overnight, just in case it makes a difference. The Sound Blaster E5 is great for that, using its host mode it can charge my phone while serving as its DAC, and its optical output can feed the DX7s, albeit at a fixed 48 kHz sample rate despite using USB Audio Player Pro, which has to go through Android's sound stack in this configuration.

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #8,653 of 12,194

As a long time reader of this site I also find it disturbing that a moderator and the owner of the site would make this apparently false accusation without being absolutely certain of the facts. I think members should expect more.

Are you really ok with that? Does the truth matter?

RCB
I think you miss the point. There has been a lot of juvenile sniping going on in this thread, but I for one expect more from the moderators.

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #8,654 of 12,194
Finally...

Setup: MacBook Pro into iFi micro iDSD, micro iDSD's line out into Gustard H20, micro iDSD's coax out into Audioquest RCA splitter, from there with identical cables into Yggy (coax) and DX7s (coax). From Yggy's balanced out and DX7s's balanced out with identical cables into Gustard H20's two balanced inputs.

First impressions: Yggy sounds sweeter, has more grip on the bass, cymbals sound nicer, more depth in soundstage. DX7s has something unpleasant about it so far, at least with the default apodizing filter and the brickwall filter. Switched to linear phase, slow roll off and actually liked it afterwards, but had to leave after a few songs (to be continued). At one point, Yggy was somehow less loud than the DX7s and the micro iDSD. Cycled inputs and it was fine again. Weird.

Blind A/B is more difficult here because the DX7s fades in after locking in on a new signal, like after changing the sample rate, thus revealing itself. Just like with the Yggy, the input gets changed by clicking a button (the volume knob in this case). But unlike with Yggy it's not obvious what the next input in sequence is. There's also an annoying delay until the display responds by telling you which input is now active. Yggy's problem is that the button doesn't register reliably. I do like that the DX7s clearly displays the sample rate via its display. The Yggy encodes it via LEDs for which the small labels are offset when looking from the side, making it hard to read correctly.

Feeding the DX7s with my old phone overnight, just in case it makes a difference. The Sound Blaster E5 is great for that, using its host mode it can charge my phone while serving as its DAC, and its optical output can feed the DX7s, albeit at a fixed 48 kHz sample rate despite using USB Audio Player Pro, which has to go through Android's sound stack in this configuration.

Interested to hear your longer term impressions.
I bought a Yggy back in March 2016 and enjoyed my time with it (6 months) - though ultimately I sold it and went back to listening to a Grace dac. This is not to say that the Grace was 'better' - both the Grace and the Yggy had their own 'fingerprint' on the sound - but rather that I found it often depended on the type of source program as to which dac I preferred.
This is a forum for discussing differences, but I think we need to respect each other's opinions more and realise things aren't as black and white as they're sometimes made out to be - and that includes both subjective listening and objective measurements.

I recall the blind test conducted with a number of experienced listeners by Tyll Hertsens between the Yggy and a D/S dac (Antelope Audio?) which was far from conclusive in identifying any difference between R2R and D/S sounds. I know such a blind test puts peoples brains into an unnatural listening state.....but still.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #8,655 of 12,194
Finally...
Blind A/B is more difficult here......
Yggy's problem is that the button doesn't register reliably......

Yes, a blind test is difficult. However, this is the best way to be *reliably honest* with oneself.

As to the buttons not registering reliably, this is not my experience. My experience is completely the opposite; that the buttons register correctly and are of quality where electrical engagement is concerned.

A nice-to-have would be the that the LEDs display the bit depth and not just the sample rate. And no, bit depth cannot necessarily be derived from the sample rate in all cases (even if you've studied quantum physics).

I know such a blind test puts peoples brains into an unnatural listening state.....but still.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back