Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #8,566 of 12,310
Are you that surprised the whole world doesn't think the Yggy walks on water?
Actually most of the recording professionals use much different stuff to monitor the music they create that your listening to.
I don't think you'll find a Yggy in 1 in 10,000 recording studios. Many that I'm familiar with use Benchmarks.
I’ve had two Benchark DACs, the 1 & 2 and the treble to me was harsh . A detailed dac but thin sounding to me .

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #8,567 of 12,310
I’ve had two Benchark DACs, the 1 & 2 and the treble to me was harsh . A detailed dac but thin sounding to me .
Maybe accurate is what you don't like?

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #8,568 of 12,310
Actually most of the recording professionals use much different stuff to monitor the music they create that your listening to.
I don't think you'll find a Yggy in 1 in 10,000 recording studios. Many that I'm familiar with use Benchmarks.
As far as I know many recording studios also use the same crappy Yamaha monitors, because if it sounds good on them, it sounds good on everything. And the recording engineer I met last uses his Beats headphones, he said (and actually "some German" headphones, and when I asked whether he means the HD 800, he said it's probably those). It would certainly make sense for recording studios to use the same delta sigma DACs prevalent among consumers to get an idea of how it will sound for the vast majority of people. Maybe the lack of a remote is also problematic in the recording context. Just saying that this may not be the best place to look for DAC advice. Do you know of studios using Chord DAVEs by any chance? After all, it supposedly measures extraordinarily well, and supposedly sounds great, too.

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #8,570 of 12,310
These are the people with real ears that know how to listen.

I buy pro gear, love Sweetwater,
I've heard the RME ADI-2 dac, and a used Benchmark dac, I did not like them, analytical maybe, but harsh is a better word. And I favor a very analytical sound to most I think.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #8,572 of 12,310
So if I were to give my Yggy (bought right after the $100 price hike, i.e. it has analog 2 and USB gen 5) to Amir, it would be under the condition to repeat a set of measurements with the same settings and conditions every 24h, starting right after turning it on (and then leaving it on). And in balanced mode, because that is obviously what it's meant for (and if you can afford to spend $2400 on a DAC, you can probably afford a balanced headphone amp, too, at least - this is Head-Fi, after all).
Both Yggdrasils that I tested were on for many hours and quite warmed up. FYI, same concern was raised about Schiit Bifrost Multibit that I tested. Its performance did not change at all with respect to linearity after being left on overnight.

But sure, please send me a private message if you are interested in loaning yours to me. I will pay for its return postage if you pay to send it to me. Even though it is heavy, we are both on west coast so should not be too expensive. I will test it as you state.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #8,573 of 12,310
Blimey, I've been following this .... let's call it a conversation for now ..... for the most part and I see an awful lot of really left brain, maybe interesting enough chat for a completely different thread and not enough real Yggy LISTENING IMPRESSION material.
I don't own an Yggy, I would love to have one in my home, but I have listened to Yggy plus Ragnarok, adored the build, the warmth (physical) and the musical quality, almost bought it on the spot, yet since I was on holiday at the time decided that I'd better keep some cash to spare. That was a good idea at the time, Yggy is nearly $4k here in OZ, $6.9k for the pair.
As you can see in my Sig, I am the very happy owner and avid listener of the Mimby/Magni 3 combo and for sheer music joy do not feel I am missing much at all on that level, although I certainly understand there is more available with a far greater cost involved. I have also heard plenty of gear at up to $60k and more that did not inspire me in the least!
As a potential punter for headier heights, as in Yggy/Rag, I want to be inspired further with what those who own such delights might offer as insights into what I can look forward to, not a whole lot of intellectual arguments which expose totally objective agendas and over-intellectualising over who's right and who's wrong ... at least not in this thread.
I trust my over 40 years of creative building and listening experience over all else, yet I can still be inspired by the experiences of others, hence my pleasure in sharing knowledge and experience both ways in other threads - such as the Sennheiser HD540 Reference thread, where no-one is co-opting anyone else into their POV and sharing ideas is paramount. It's fun.
My Mimby/Magni 3 (admittedly with some very fine interconnects) is utterly silent in use - as in background noise - and provides a level of 3D sound staging that belies not only the age of my Ref1s but also the cost of the gear. I could go on, but my point is that I am inspired for even more as I can afford it and it's here that I want to hear from others what they are experiencing.

I love to tell you mine,compared to my AK4490 dac in the Jot. Yggy is much more resolving, even on a less resolving HP like the HD 6xx.
The soundstage is holographic on my very large desk with the Focals compared to the D/S dac. I certainly am getting a love for headphone listening with the LCD Xs and this rig.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #8,574 of 12,310
Very curious about Yggy vs Chord Dave. Or Hugo 2 for that matter. Disclaimer: I neither own Yggdrasil OR have even heard the dac used in a system! So no one gets butt hurt or anything.
It is permissible to ask the above question I presume? =) Seriously though, I do plan on (possibly) buying Yggy in the near future (or a Chord Dave), and for the amp not sure. Maybe a Milo or a really nice tube amp...

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #8,575 of 12,310
I love to tell you mine,compared to my AK4490 dac in the Jot. Yggy is much more resolving, even on a less resolving HP like the HD 6xx.
The soundstage is holographic on my very large desk with the Focals compared to the D/S dac. I certainly am getting a love for headphone listening with the LCD Xs and this rig.
Fabulous! Thank you, Mr finisher. The only time I have enjoyed the HD6xx is on the new a-gd R2R, another ladder DAC that is hitting all the right spots. The Ref1s are all over the HD6xx on the Schiit stack I have here and while there is a better synergy with the R2R that surprised me, on the gear I have currently, nothing does the 3D vanishing act like the Ref1s. The Yggy will definitely be my next step.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #8,576 of 12,310
I have heard that the Jot really wakes the 6xx's up, I just got mine and am waiting for a nice balanced cable, but already they are amazing for $200:L3000:

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #8,577 of 12,310
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #8,578 of 12,310
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #8,579 of 12,310
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #8,580 of 12,310
Both Yggdrasils that I tested were on for many hours and quite warmed up. FYI, same concern was raised about Schiit Bifrost Multibit that I tested. Its performance did not change at all with respect to linearity after being left on overnight.

I saw! Many hours is still quite a bit less than a week, though :) As you know, the scientific approach is to come up with a hypothesis, and (usually) to attempt to disprove it (since most hypothesis cannot be proven true, only supported and maybe proven false). So regardless of whatever theories you (understandably) have as to why it shouldn't behave differently on day 7 than on day 1 (all else being the same), the scientific approach is to do what you do, i.e. to measure it.
Though I would say in this case you might find support for the theory by seeing an improvement in certain measurements, but even if you don't, you may simply not be able to measure what it is that makes it sound better. Be that inside the DAC or inside the listener. :wink: So in this case I suppose measurements can neither prove nor disprove the hypothesis.

But sure, please send me a private message if you are interested in loaning yours to me. I will pay for its return postage if you pay to send it to me. Even though it is heavy, we are both on west coast so should not be too expensive. I will test it as you state.

Thanks! I checked yesterday, and with insurance it should be about $70 or so with FedEx (looks like UPS Ground insurance stops at $1000, so that's not an option for me). Does that work for you, too?
Then I saw that you may have a much better arrangement with Jude, so let's see how that pans out first. We can still do it later if it turns out to be valuable. In the mean time, I should probably hold the Topping DX7s in my hands on Monday, and will want to compare the two side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back