Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #8,491 of 12,314
Why should they offer their own measurements? Buy it, don't, w/e ...

Well it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
Ifin' you don't know by now

:smile_phones:

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #8,492 of 12,314
Explained here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/understanding-audio-measurements.2351/

I will be writing a much more extensive article for a magazine over summer on this topic.

Let me know if your banned status on ASR Forum stops you from reading it (just go there as visitor if so).

I don't see/read in the URL you've provided where you've explained anything having to do with how measurements correlate with perceived sound quality or lack thereof. The URL you provided addresses your testing equipment, admission it is not calibrated, and the type of tests you perform.

:anguished:

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #8,493 of 12,314
Well been at 31 in the update queue for a while now, hopefully the next "batch" of shipping notices will get sent out soon.... :triportsad:

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #8,494 of 12,314
Some of the posts in this thread reminds me of an old magick saying that knowing the spell does not mean you know how to use it...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #8,495 of 12,314
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #8,496 of 12,314
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #8,497 of 12,314
LOL read it all already. Just saying I have been waiting a while for the update to A2 for my Yggy, I am also in the queue to get my uberfrost updated...and the wait continues...

Ooops. Sorry about that. That response was for another thread. :confused:

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #8,498 of 12,314
I don't see/read in the URL you've provided where you've explained anything having to do with how measurements correlate with perceived sound quality or lack thereof. The URL you provided addresses your testing equipment, admission it is not calibrated, and the type of tests you perform.

:anguished:
There was plenty of explanations regarding audibility of the measurements. This one for example on jitter:

upload_2018-6-9_10-2-5.png

And on THD:

upload_2018-6-9_10-2-49.png

And IMD intermodulation:

upload_2018-6-9_10-3-12.png

Honestly, I don't know how you can say you read something as short as that article but didn't see these clear references. Ultimately seems like being argumentative is the goal here, not reading and understanding.

The above by the way answers a number of challenges made in this thread about usefulness of measurements. See if your favorite measurement source provides such information and transparency.

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #8,500 of 12,314
If you need some instruction on th e use of a simple SPL or Multimeter there is a plethora of information available on the WWW. Just let Google be your friend.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"
Peter Aczel,
http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic_web1.htm#acl

First off I'm not "gullible" enough to step in yet another ASR trap. You all seem to be on a mission to criticize the Yggy owning community here. In our thread. Crawl back under the rock you came from.

Second, I don't care about doing my own measurements when it comes to hi-fi and the enjoyment of listening to music. I spent years and thousands doing extreme overclocking and benchmarking PC hardware." think liquid nitrogen" Where the measurements were everything/ hell the only thing. It was a fun hobby, and I can admit to being a complete hardware junkie. But I've moved on from that.
And in fact want to start creating my own music for my own enjoyment, think Yamaha Synthesizer
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Montage8--yamaha-montage-8
I can play, I want to play better.

So no time or money for that crap.

Third, when I was researching for a replacement dac on my Outlaw 2160, a great measuring D/S dac I'm sure, except I hate it.
I let Google be my friend when researching Yggdrasil. It brought me to a place called ASR forum, where I read the very most critical opinions of Yggy on the web. And many other well respected brands besides Schiit. Noting the deviation from the norm, I crawled all around ASR and read much of what was there.

Then I went and took a shower and ordered a brand new Yaggy. And could not be happier.:L3000:

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #8,501 of 12,314
Just the talk gives you headache? I had to respond to all the bloody ones. :D I too had to just go in my office and listen to some good music last night to drown it out....

My last comment on this topic... (probably)…

Bloody ones heh...

Good idea I think I will have a Bloody Mary and listen to some great music through some great Schiit...

bloody-mina.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #8,502 of 12,314
You're right - we need to get past this. But not for the reasons you think. All that matters is that the two of you have the right parameters, the same set-up, and recording the same equipment output.
I don't know if that is or is not going to happen. There is a lot of hostility going on to defend one's measurement and the way it is done if you have not noticed. :)

So while you may not be able to affect us, you can affect yourself. Learn what the measurements really mean. Study the graphs, ask questions (I am happy to explain to any depth and even provide authoritative references). This is why you see so much information on my graphs beyond just what the instrument shows. I like you to learn what they mean and what they show.

Then use that knowledge to cross verify what other measurements show. As I have explained time and time again, it is the words in the measurement posts that are in conflict most of the time, not the data. People don't read the graphs or understanding and just run by the words. Ultimately I can't help if there is no willingness to learn something here. Or else, you have to accept that I have read the other measurements and if I say they are not in conflict they are not.

Also keep in mind that we are going to review different gear. With literally thousands of DACs and headphone amps alone, you are going to see a ton of unique measurements. There, understanding the measurements will empower you to make purchase decisions.

Finally, there will be differences in measurements at times no matter what. I often change scales or create special tests just to show something better. Look at this example of channel deviation in a headphone amp as you turn the volume in real-time:

index.php

I created that special test because of member requests because channel mismatch is a big deal in headphones. And a few data points showing that difference is not sufficient. I don't know if others adopt this test or not.

The thing to take away from the challenges such as what is going on here is to extract knowledge from us. I have tried to impart that in my many posts. I want you to be educated and be your own teacher in the future.

But yes, if we can get to the same point on some of the measurements, I am in favor of it. For now, my style has been to match the measurements that stereophile makes in some of the cases (e.g. -90 dB sine wave).

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,503 of 12,314
Just the talk gives you headache? I had to respond to all the bloody ones. :D I too had to just go in my office and listen to some good music last night to drown it out....

My last comment on this topic... (probably)…

Bloody ones heh...

Good idea I think I will have a Bloody Mary and listen to some great music through some great Schiit...

Ha, yess, I have some Grey Goose, thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #8,504 of 12,314
Ditto. I'm thinking a few single ingredient Margaritas with no mixings. Maybe after a few -- my speakers/headphones will 'disappear' like David Copperfield's 747!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back