Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #8,416 of 12,381
Excuse me Amir...you were told and invited to meet with Mike at any of the shows he attends and offerred to sit down and discuss "stuff"...its all in another thread close by.

So when you say you dont know what to say, well....thats not quite accurate IMO.

I was looking forward to you taking them up on their offfer to sit down and break bread.

I even pm'd you and have your replies....

My Schitt stuff especially the BIFROST sounds as good or better than any other of the dacs I have...so the measurements you make good or bad have no real world meaning
to me. Being an objective person, worked in a lab, test environment for 40 years...there comes a time when measurements become meaningless to humans in the real world.

So when your really negative comments about the BIFROST, came out I was at first concerned....but after many hours of testing, blind testing, etc...my worries have gone away and your data to me and many others is just plain "silly".....

I hear nothing any worse than other dacs....one would think you might have an in with some Chinese dac folks??? What skeletons are in your "wallet?"...

Alex

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #8,417 of 12,381
The audio world is very funny to me. I'll never understand why people get so worked up about these products that all sound virtually identical to each other. They even measure virtually identically. But they place so much personal pride and ego to their purchases. Heh they get so emotional about these products.
heh nothing personal kid...

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #8,418 of 12,381
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #8,419 of 12,381
The audio world is very funny to me. I'll never understand why people get so worked up about these products that all sound virtually identical to each other. They even measure virtually identically. But they place so much personal pride and ego to their purchases. Heh they get so emotional about these products.

It's kind of embarrassing to watch. I get the passion for the hobby, but the claims and accusations being throw around here are cringy at best and shameful at worst. If you like it you like it. If you dont want to agree, don't.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #8,421 of 12,381
I know that this will likely offend some, but with age comes wisdom and my age has gotten me to a stage of wisdom where I realize that not all things we as humans perceive can be measured. Our auditory system (including the brain) is far too complex for the dozen or so measurements some have seemingly settled on as the 'holy grail' of performance and sound. How does one measure soundstage? How does one measure 'air' around instruments or their placement and richness? Which stat tells you that this amp or DAC has more timbre and layers? How does one measure the emotional involvement imparted by music on some setups? And let's not even get into the synergy of the complimentary components in the system. If all I listened to was test tones, etc., then I would base my decisions solely on specs. I don't know for sure, but I suspect I am not in the minority in saying I do not listen to test frequencies, sweeps, square waves, etc., but invest my time in listening to MUSIC.

I'm certainly not wise enough regarding measuring of electronics performance so I cannot say one set of measurements is right and the other is wrong. The one thing I am comfortable in saying is that some some stuff sounds really good and some stuff sounds really bad -- irrespective of how it measures. We humans are far too complex to distill our interaction with music to a handful of graphs, numbers and plots. Say what you will, whether an objectivist or subjectivist -- my Schiit sounds pretty darn good, and I am not alone in thinking that. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #8,422 of 12,381
I know that this will likely offend some, but with age comes wisdom. And my age has gotten me to a stage of wisdom where I realize that not all things we as humans perceive can be measured. Our auditory system (including the brain) is far too complex for the dozen or so measurements have seemingly settled on as the holy grail of performance. How does one measure soundstage? How does one measure 'air' around instruments or their placement and richness? Which stat tells you that this amp or DAC has more timbre and layers? How does one measure the emotional involvement imparted by music on some setups? I don't know for sure, but I suspect most do not listen to test frequencies, sweeps, square waves, etc. And let's not even get into the synergy of the complimentary components in the system.

I'm certainly not wise enough regarding measuring of electronics performance so I cannot say one set of measurements is right and the other is wrong. The one thing I am comfortable in saying is that some some stuff sounds really good and some stuff sounds really bad -- irrespective of how it measures. We humans are far too complex to distill our interaction with music to a handful of graphs, numbers and plots. Say what you will, whether an objectivist or subjectivist -- my Schiit sounds pretty darn good, and I am not alone in thinking that. :wink:

+1

And here endeth the argument!

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #8,423 of 12,381
I know that this will likely offend some, but with age comes wisdom. And my age has gotten me to a stage of wisdom where I realize that not all things we as humans perceive can be measured. Our auditory system (including the brain) is far too complex for the dozen or so measurements some have seemingly settled on as the 'holy grail' of performance and sound. How does one measure soundstage? How does one measure 'air' around instruments or their placement and richness? Which stat tells you that this amp or DAC has more timbre and layers? How does one measure the emotional involvement imparted by music on some setups? And let's not even get into the synergy of the complimentary components in the system. If all I listened to was test tones, etc., then I would base my decisions solely on specs. I don't know for sure, but I suspect I am not in the minority in saying I do not listen to test frequencies, sweeps, square waves, etc., but invest my time in listening to MUSIC.

Lol well put, imagine sitting down and ABX'ing sine waves / test tones -- screw that it'll all sound the same.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #8,424 of 12,381
@amirm, it seems to me you have a personal agenda with regard to Schiit Audio. Some points:
  • Schiit Audio has been very forthcoming about the fact that their multi-bit DACs will in general not measure as well as delta-sigma DACs (theirs or others). They've been very upfront about this, and have repeatedly stated that they simply feel their multi-bit DACs sound better, and a lot of their customers agree. I have purchased most of their multibit models, understanding they won't measure as well as their delta-sigma counterparts, just as I also know a simple CMOY portable amp probably will measure better than all of my favorite tube amps.

• The sensationalism of your posts appears to be clearly intended to have your readers believe that you somehow found them out in an "ah-ha!-look-what-i-found-guys!" manner. Yet they've been quite frank about this discussion since the first version of the Yggdrasil was released (and with every multi-bit DAC they've released since).

• You seem dead set on interpreting the results (especially where Schiit's concerned) in a manner that is consistent with what I (again) feel is clearly a personal agenda or bias with regard to Schiit Audio. And your interpretation of the linearity error plot -- using your +/-0.1 dB threshold -- is one I have not specifically seen anywhere. I'm not saying nobody else is using it, only that I've not seen it used elsewhere. I am genuinely wondering where this standard originated -- I'm assuming that the +/-0.1 dB threshold on that type of measurement references a specific standard, so I'm wondering where I can read more about it.

• When it comes to similar tests conducted elsewhere, it seems the narrative can be quite different. Let's look at John Atkinson's measurement of another multi-bit DAC (the HoloAudio Spring DAC "Kitsuné Tuned Edition" Level 3), starting with this plot in it:

518HoloSpringfig08.jpg
    • John said (about the above plot):
    • I find this difference in narrative (versus yours) very interesting.

Also, with respect to your measurements, you only show the Yggdrasil2 measured from its unbalanced outputs, and I'm sure you noticed that the Yggdrasil does perform considerably better from its balanced outputs, since you did post a frequency response plot from its balanced outputs (but nothing else). Since the Yggdrasil2 is described by Schiit Audio as a "Balanced Upgradable DAC," I thought you might at least consider also including other measurements from its balanced outputs.

Later on, I may post more measurements, but let's take a look at a few of my measurements of the Yggdrasil2 (using the Audio Precision APx555) compared to some of the measurements you made that were key to your conclusion(s):

(NOTE: All of my measurements below were made using the Yggdrasil2's balanced digital input (XLR).)

Frequency Response

Your plot and your comments (quoted below):

Here are my measurements of the unbalanced outputs of the Yggdrasil2, from 10 Hz to 20 kHz, first as a continuous sweep:

The deviation on this plot is +/- 0.139 dB for the left and +/- 0.136 dB for the right from 10 Hz to 20 kHz. Within the audioband (20 Hz to 20 kHz), that deviation is +/- 0.058 db and +/-0.056 dB. So, whether from 10 Hz or 20 Hz (through to 20 kHz), the deviation is well below the threshold of hearing you cited.

As a stepped frequency sweep measurement (100 steps):

The deviation on this plot is +/- 0.155 dB for the left and +/- 0.151 dB for the right from 10 Hz to 20 kHz. Within the audioband (20 Hz to 20 kHz), that deviation is +/- 0.058 db and +/-0.056 dB. Whether from 10 Hz or 20 Hz (through to 20 kHz), again, the deviation is well below the threshold of hearing you cited.

Additionally, your Yggdrasil2 frequency response measurement (from the unbalanced outputs) shows an unusual concave sag <300 Hz. As you can see, I did not get a similar feature from the same measurement (swept or stepped).

Since you now also own an Audio Precision APx555, perhaps you should consider re-doing the measurement.

Again, from its balanced outputs, the Yggdrasil 2 performs better.

Here's the frequency response from the balanced outputs, swept:

The deviation on this plot is +/- 0.059 dB for the left and +/- 0.057 dB for the right from 10 Hz to 20 kHz. Within the audioband (20 Hz to 20 kHz), that deviation is +/- 0.058 db and +/-0.055 dB. Whether from 10 Hz or 20 Hz (through to 20 kHz), again, the deviation is well below the threshold of hearing you cited.

Here's the frequency response from the balanced outputs, stepped (100 steps):

The deviation on this plot is +/- 0.058 dB for the left and +/- 0.056 dB for the right from 10 Hz to 20 kHz. Within the audioband (20 Hz to 20 kHz), that deviation is still +/- 0.058 db and +/-0.056 dB. Whether from 10 Hz or 20 Hz (through to 20 kHz), again, the deviation is well below the threshold of hearing you cited.

THD+N Versus Frequency

Let's look at your THD+N versus frequency measurement, and your comment (quoted below):

I did not get the dramatic rise (going lower in frequency) that you did. Also, the fact that your THD+N plots are all dropping off as they approach higher frequencies could be accentuating the low-frequency rise you're describing (that, again, I'm not seeing to the extent you are), and this suggests to me that your measurement bandwidth may be ~20 kHz. If so, perhaps you should reduce the upper limit of your X-axis and/or increase your analyzer's bandwidth setting to at least capture the lower harmonics of the upper frequency range of the measurement. My bandwidth for this was set to 90k (192 kHz SR).

Here are my measurements of THD+N versus frequency from the unbalanced outputs of the Yggdrasil2, from 10 Hz to 20 kHz (100 steps):

Here's that same measurement overlaid with the dashed lines showing the THD+N when the measurement bandwidth is limited to 22.4 kHz:

Here are my measurements of THD+N versus frequency from the balanced outputs of the Yggdrasil2, from 10 Hz to 20 kHz (100 steps):

Linearity

Getting back to the linearity measurements, I want to ask again where the +/- 0.1 dB threshold on the linearity error test was standardized. While others may be using it, you're the only one I've seen using it. I saw that you recently cited this article by Robert Harley in Stereophile in discussing the topic. I may have missed where Harley defined a +/- 0.1 dB threshold (I didn't read every page of that article). I did, however, search Stereophile for Harley's digital component reviews, and found this example:

Of the above plot, Harley said:

In a review by Kalman Rubinson in Stereophile, I found this example:

Of the above plot, Rubinson said:

In both cases (and I'm quite sure there are more), their descriptions of when the devices under test remain linear seem to far exceed your 0.1 dB tolerance. Looking at those plots, Harley seems to be describing ~1 dB deviation and Rubinson ~2 dB. I decided, then, to go with 1 dB deviation in linearity tests expressed in both a linearity error measurement and an RMS measurement (where 0 dBFS output at 1 kHz is 0 dBrA in each RMS example, to make the corresponding change in RMS (versus dBFS) easier to read).

Here is my linearity error measurement of the Yggdrasil2 from its unbalanced analog outputs (281 steps, 0.500 dBFS per step, from -140 dBFS to 0 dBFS):

The lowest step on the X-axis at which the plots in the above linearity error measurement remain within 1.00 dB of 0.0 is -95.000 dBFS (left) and -99.000 dBFS (right).

Here is my RMS measurement (versus dBFS) of the Yggdrasil2 from its unbalanced analog outputs (281 steps, 0.500 dBFS per step, from -140 dBFS to 0 dBFS):

The lowest step on the X-axis at which the plots in the above RMS linearity measurement have dBFS and dBrA levels within 1.00 dB of each other is -95.000 dBFS (left) and -98.500 dBFS (right). (Again, they're in 281 total 0.500 dBFS steps, which is why they end in either .000 or .500.)

As I've now said a few times, the Yggdrasil2 definitely performs better from its balanced outputs (which you did not post, but did seem to run measurements from).

Here is my linearity error measurement of the Yggdrasil2 from its balanced analog outputs (281 steps, 0.500 dBFS per step, from -140 dBFS to 0 dBFS):

The lowest step on the X-axis at which the plots in the above linearity error measurement remain within 1.00 dB of 0.0 is -122.000 dBFS (left) and -117.500 dBFS (right).

Here is my RMS measurement (versus dBFS) of the Yggdrasil2 from its balanced analog outputs (281 steps, 0.500 dBFS per step, from -140 dBFS to 0 dBFS):

The lowest step on the X-axis at which the plots in the above RMS linearity measurement have dBFS and dBrA levels within 1.00 dB of each other is -122.000 dBFS (left) and -117.500 dBFS (right).

Again, the performance from the balanced analog outputs is significantly better than from the unbalanced analog outputs (and, on these forums, as best I can recall, Schiit has always recommended using the Yggdrasil balanced). I'm not sure why you only included a balanced measurement for frequency response, but nothing else (e.g. linearity, etc.).

As for determining a DAC's resolution, when I find the time, I want to examine how John Atkinson from Stereophile determine's a DAC's resolution in bits, which is certainly different than your +/- 0.1 dB linearity error standard. When I do that, I'll show the corresponding measurements for this DAC (and perhaps others).

NOTE: Stereophile's audio measurements have been published and available for decades, their methods and results subject to peer review (they're public), and their methods occasionally helped along by other engineers in the industry. As such, their work has largely guided and informed our measurements of audio electronics, and will likely continue to. That said, I will endeavor to add interesting and novel measurements (well, novel outside of R&D labs), like examining out-of-band performance and behavior, the ability of DACs to tolerate jitter (jitter that we control to deliberately impair the signal), and more.

@amirm, you are a member of the trade (MOT), and we do not allow MOTs to criticize and/or attack other MOTs here. Again, it's clear to me that you have an agenda and strong bias, especially where Schiit Audio is concerned. The only reason I allowed your post (the one I'm quoting in this post) to remain is so that I could respond to it and maintain the context for my response.

Of course, you are welcome to do whatever you want on your website and forum, but (especially as you are a MOT) Head-Fi is not your dais to carry out your particular brand of bias. You seem to suggest that you let the measurements do all the talking, but I beg to differ. Sometimes your measurements fall silent in the shadow of your sensationalist narrative.

Again, the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil2 is a multi-bit DAC, and most of those who buy it are probably not buying it for the best measured performance, even though it does seem to me to measure well relative to other multi-bit DACs -- especially from its recommended balanced outputs. While plenty of other DACs are promoted by their makers as sporting 32-bit/768kHz DAC chips, Schiit Audio has always very openly described each of the Yggdrasil2's four AD5791 BRUZ DAC chips as 20-bit DACs. Your narrative suggests that you were perhaps the first to uncover the fact that multi-bit DACs generally do not measure as well as the delta-sigma types, as if it were a notion new to us all. It is not. Perhaps your next discovery is that tube amps don't measure as well as solid state ones? That turntables don't measure as well as digital sources?

If you want to have a private conversation via PM (or even telephone), then feel free to PM me.

All of my measurements in this post were made at Head-Fi HQ using the Audio Precision APx555 audio analyzer.
---
Lol well put, imagine sitting down and ABX'ing sine waves / test tones -- screw that it'll all sound the same
Actually that's exactly what some people do. It provides useful information.
I think with measurements though is that if all the measurements aren't measurably different, then how IS there an audible difference?
I personally am extremely subjective in my evaluation but I have a hard time side stepping the measurement logic.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #8,425 of 12,381
Actually that's exactly what people do.

Correction: Actually that's exactly what SOME people do. :wink:

Another general note for public consumption: If measurements and spec's were the end-all / be-all of sound reproduction, odds are pretty good Cary and other highly, highly regarded tube-based systems makers would all be out of business. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #8,426 of 12,381
I know that this will likely offend some, but with age comes wisdom.
With that age I would think the first thing you would have learned is not to believe everything you hear, see, or feel. Human perception is the easiest thing in the world to fool.
Without measurement and bias controlled blind listening testing your just guessing.
"David Copperfield really did make that 747 disappear off the runway, I see'd it with my own two eyes." :deadhorse:

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #8,427 of 12,381
I know that this will likely offend some, but with age comes wisdom. And my age has gotten me to a stage of wisdom where I realize that not all things we as humans perceive can be measured.
“Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
These measurements may indicate that you can indeed make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #8,428 of 12,381
With that age I would think the first thing you would have learned is not to believe everything you hear, see, or feel. Human perception is the easiest thing in the world to fool.
Without measurement and bias controlled blind listening testing your just guessing.
"David Copperfield really did make that 747 disappear off the runway, I see'd it with my own two eyes." :deadhorse:

A disappearing 747? Wow!! I'm sure others shared your amazement and belief that it was really gone!

Come-on. 99.9% knew it was a trick and that it was not really gone. The fun was in trying to figure out how he got us to "think" it was gone. It's an illusion -- not magic. I'm a bit disappointed that you think us all so gullible.

Now my response:

I would never (and I suspect most would never) say that the sound reproduced by their system convinced them that Fleetwood Mac was actually performing in their living room and that they were disappointed upon opening their eyes to find that they were not actually there. I don't think slight-of- hand' or magic is required for equipment to generate excellent high quality sound. I don't think anyone is advocating that their system (irrespective of specs) can fool them into believing that there are actual musicians in their room...

... but if like "David Copperfield", audio gear can truly provide the listener an 'illusion' that there is really a concert going on in their living room, then that's not a bad thing -- IT's A GREAT THING!!! :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #8,429 of 12,381

Once upon a time, in the USA there were 2 or 3 big audio magazines, perhaps a few others that don't matter, and 2 underground magazines who took no advertising money. The big 3 had one reasonably honest publication, Audio, but they still knew that the money was in mid fi and advertising. The "underground" magazines were in search of audio nirvana, but had decidedly different taste, and were competitive. Julian Hersch was the king of measurements, every time I listened to him, I screwed myself, after enough of those experiences I learned not to trust electrical engineers with agendas. I work with some really great electrical engineers, but they are not pimping for advertisers. So, that left us with the underground mags. They too were eventually forced to advertise.

What they all knew, or figured out, is that people want to be rewarded for their decisions. So while the underground types reviewed higher end gear, and the others mid fi, they all avoided saying much of anything bad openly about much of anything. People do identify with their purchases, especially when those purchases are a projection of their ego, and whether it is a reflection of their ego or not, it's certainly a reflection of their judgment. So of course they take it personally. As for me, I am always striving for the best while spending the least. I know that I can't afford what ever some believe to be the ultimate this week, but I understand people's attachment to his gear, and their defense of it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #8,430 of 12,381
I had a few hours to test these DACs and a number of others members of our audiophile society had for me to measure.
Only a few hours? Ok, that is HUGE. That is not enough time to set up, evaluate a baseline or ensure calibrations and test runs are normal, troubleshoot any aberrations, and get more than 1 run of measurements in. You are admitting that your measurements were all rushed. Further, that they weren't done in controlled, let alone similar, environments. The results could not have possibly been double checked. Did you even check the AC mains you were plugged into?

Despite all of this you still chose to publish the results. This admission of incompetence is staggering.

The argument that Yggy is somehow biased to work as balanced DAC is neither here, nor there.
No, it is very specifically "here", as Jude pointed out. Did you even read his post? Let me quote the important bits...
"and I'm sure you noticed that the Yggdrasil does perform considerably better from its balanced outputs, since you did post a frequency response plot from its balanced outputs (but nothing else). Since the Yggdrasil2 is described by Schiit Audio as a "Balanced Upgradable DAC," I thought you might at least consider also including other measurements from its balanced outputs."​

I suspect you saw the very good results from the balanced outputs, and disregarded using them as it wouldn't support your Schiit smearing campaign.

Moving on...

I am puzzled why he did not try to confirm or dispute the data I had produced
The data you produced is quite specifically being disputed. Every graph Jude produced and compared to yours (pictures of both were in his post, if you failed to notice) shows that your graphs are inconsistent with his. Further, if you read any of the other measurements taken at any other site, it shows yours have the most varied and inconsistent results out of any of the other independently conducted measurements.

I can't wait for your next post. I'll wager you dance around every point or question Jude brought up without answering a single one. I suspect that is because if you were to truthfully provide direct answers to these questions, it would destroy every ounce of credibility you have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back