Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 7, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #8,386 of 12,304
And then this will die down, we will live in relative peace for another 18 months. Until some other a$$hat with measurement equipment who is either incompetent or has an agenda posts something crazy.

Seriously though with all that it takes to make good reliable measurement data, I'm not sure I will ever put stock in it.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #8,388 of 12,304
Thought better of it and just decided to delete my post. Didn't really contribute anything and I don't want to start a Head-Fi vs ASR flame-war. (Although Head-Fi would win!)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #8,389 of 12,304
michael-jackson-popcorn-gif-8.gif

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #8,390 of 12,304
I think that Jude's post was very well thought out. Just trying to determine bias though. Could anyone shed light on other than free equipment what would Jude recieve from Schiit? I'm guessing they pay to be on this site and go to events and this is an important revenue generator for Jude but I could be wrong.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #8,391 of 12,304
@jude I'm curious to see if Schiit DS-based DACs would measure good on your APx555 against other comparable products, such as *wink* Topping D50 *wink*. So far, based on what I saw on ASR, they are pretty underwhelming. Of course, measurements don't tell a whole lot about sound quality.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #8,392 of 12,304
I attended the talk. It was mostly about knowing which FFT parameters to use and making sure you are using bit-exact path to test products. My team wrote the Windows audio stack while I was at Microsoft, and one of my professional specialities is signal processing (I managed that team at Microsoft too) so, neither was news to me. His testing and mine both use bit-exact and I have taken his measurements and replicated them on my Audio Precision analyzer showing the same problems. In almost all cases Bob's data actually matches mine. It is just that his words are far more positive and people go by that, instead of data that represents otherwise.

I have shown this numerous times on ASR Forum. There is no question that Schiit DACs don't measure well no matter who measures them. Buy them for other reasons than engineering excellence.

Yeah but give me credit for having more Audio Precision gear than anyone! :D There are no less than three of them in this picture (with one just peeking from the corner):
First off, my opinions and responses to your assertions are meant as a reflection back to you, as such it is not my intention to demean you nor your efforts, but to provide you a form of feedback which can be used as a means for you to assess what myself and others see as discrepancies.
Take them as you will, but these are my observations and assessments based upon your contributions, and if viewed as such they could be quite helpful for you to help refine your processes.
And it appears evident to me that your processes need more refinement in order to be accepted as ‘real’, at least by me and those who agree with me.

And to be clear, I wasn’t there for that AES meeting, but I did get reports back from those who were, as to what was presented and based upon that, “knowing which FFT parameters to use” wasn’t what it was “mostly about”, and the “making sure you are using bit-exact path to test products” is only one of the more important topics that were presented.
Indeed the other unmentioned topics were of far more importance, not just in what was presented, but also in their implementation, and what their effects would be if they were applied in all area’s of properly taking measurements and subsequently validating them.

And your claim that “There is no question that Schiit DACs don't measure well no matter who measures them” is simply an inaccurate assessment.
It is true that they tend to be more difficult to measure accurately and will measure differently that many other dacs, which is to be expected, but your bias (based upon your measurements, which are still in question), is the focus of my opinion on these statements.

Proudly showing your investment in gear is an indication, to me, of misdirection, an attempt to bolster your credibility, which actually works against you.
IOW bragging rights don’t lend credence nor viability in and of themselves, real, accurate results do.

Um I disagree with this statement as well, “In almost all cases Bob's data actually matches mine”.
Since I see anomalous and spurious artifacts interspersed in your results, and this is key.
This says to me your setup and situational conditions are not equivalent between your setup and his.
Additionally this tells me that your test conditions allow spurious artifacts to be included into the measurements.
As a result these additional artifacts are allowed to contaminate your results.

As for “his words are far more positive…”
Again more misdirection away from the basic issues of measurement accuracy, reliability, and credibility.

And data is ALWAYS subject to scrutiny, because it’s ALWAYS easier to generate bad data than accurate and ‘real’ data.
This is a known and given aspect when using measurement gear, where the resolution and dynamic range of all of this gear (both measurement and DUT’s) is capable of measuring such small signals.
Which makes the job of obtaining ‘accurate and ‘real’ data’ all the more difficult and problematic.

Seriously, you are right that it is easy to make mistakes and knowledge level it takes to test mixed-signal products like DACs can be pretty large. I like to think that as an owner of such measurement gear for 20+ years, and professional experience related to everything here from analog to digital and signal processing, I know what I am doing. But if I am not, I am open to others showing otherwise. So far, that has not happened.

So while there can be doubt in everything, I suggest by default you should accept the data as presented unless it is shown otherwise. Doing it in reverse means closing one's eyes to information that is purely created to make consumers more informed.
“I am open to others showing otherwise” is laudable and should be de rigueur for anyone who aspires to improve their processes, especially with gear that pushes the envelope into these extreme voltage ranges of -100dB to -160dB down, where even the smallest voltages (one ten thousandths of a volt to as low as one hundredth millionths of a volt) are being measured.
These voltages are not trivial nor easy to insure that extraneous outside sources of such small voltages are excluded from your measurement setup.
And this is but one lone aspect, one that is rather difficult and sometimes complex to adequately deal with, for a variety of reasons.

As for your claim that “So far, that has not happened” it is again, in my opinion, simply an inaccurate assessment, as there are published results and indeed mounting evidence that at a minimum your results are at variance with other more well established measurements.
Not to mention those ‘other’ aspects mentioned above that were covered in the AES presentation.

As for, “there can be doubt in everything”, because in this case there is doubt, but it is of your methodology in obtaining results, based upon your published results.
And that we should just blindly “by default”, “accept the data as presented unless it is shown otherwise”, is self evident to me and others, to simply not be applicable.

And “closing one's eyes to information that is purely created to make consumers more informed” is yet another distraction, one that is unrealistic in this day and age where anyone can obtain the necessary measurement gear and create results.
It’s much more a matter of, do the results reflect the reality of the DUT, do they corroborate with others results and do they actually benefit the entire audio community as a whole.

It is my hope that these comments and details can help you improve your processes which in turn should help you obtain more meaningful results.

JJ

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #8,393 of 12,304
I am always skeptical when someone comes along and starts "exposing" stuff about stuff thats been on the market for years and tells the world that that stuff thats out there in the thousands, is "crap".....with all the inferences that it has to sound inferior to better measuring devices.

To me the test of goodness is having the product or device in house, playing my tunes, with my other stuff, and cans...and letting me "hear or not hear" the +/- 's....

From HD 9gb+ res tracks vs lowly PCM off a cd, to digital vs USB, this cable or that cable.....I do my own listening comparisons, and make my own judgements.

Owning Schitt and many other products, I find Amir stuff rather one sided at times and he has been called out...so if he has explantions that make sense, post them.

Just be prepared to be challenged......because you will be.

And the rules of this site, for MOT's are clearly stated and this guy has gone over the top here IMO.

Alex

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #8,394 of 12,304
@johnjen Don't waste your time, he's too sloppy and will dodge answering the issues as he always does and will answer with his usual non sense wall of text, as the sociopath he is.
The best thing we can do is to know that his measurements are the "outliers" and that his comments are highly biased and inflamatory, with posts like the one that Jude and others in other sites made now we have this "documented", so everyone with a healthy brain can discern that everything he says is BS.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #8,395 of 12,304
The thing that sucks about Amir's opinions, is that many people take it as gospel. I have read so many threads on web sites where people say not to by Schiit gear and nearly every time they point to Amir's site as proof.
Those people are mistaken, and apparently easily led astray.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #8,396 of 12,304
Perhaps your next discovery is that tube amps don't measure as well as solid state ones? That turntables don't measure as well as digital sources?
Jude, Less a matter of discovery than a simple statements of fact. The examples you post only highlights that some forms of distortion may sound pleasing to some listeners, The simple matter of measurement reveals those which are the more accurate components and those that may offer a happy sounding tone controls.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #8,397 of 12,304
If a thread gets stirred up and cranky, there are much better things to do.

That is a tasty beverage...

I think Amir should post a rebuttal. It should be entertaining. The only two valid explanations he could offer is gross incompetence or a massive agenda/bias.

You will be afforded neither though, I've had multiple conversations with him and he is a master of deflection. He will either hide behind the "measurements are all that matters" Mantra or if you actually seem to back him into a corner he just defelects and somehow moves the conversation in a different direction. When I say he is a master at it he really is...its actually one thing about him that actually impresses me, dont get me wrong its incredibly annoying, but I have to admire the skill.

@johnjen Don't waste your time, he's too sloppy and will dodge answering the issues as he always does and will answer with his usual non sense wall of text, as the sociopath he is.
The best thing we can do is to know that his measurements are the "outliers" and that his comments are highly biased and inflamatory, with posts like the one that Jude and others in other sites made now we have this "documented", so everyone with a healthy brain can discern that everything he says is BS.

I couldn't really say it better.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #8,398 of 12,304
@jude
I support all the sites that use measurements in their reviews. Stereophile, reference audio analyzer, headfi, and audiosciencereview.

I think there is a fundamental logical problem here in that you expect prospective dac buyers to understand that the yggdrasil is not the best measuring dac, but at the same, expect readers of audiosciencereview to not be able to understand that the review is driven by measurements. When you concede that something isn't going to measure well, you are effectively conceding that it won't get a positive review there. If people understand what they are buying, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you make one fair criticism regarding balanced output - at this price point, it is likely what people are going to be using.

Increasing the bandwidth to capture the high frequency harmonics I think is a fool's errand. There is the ccif imd test to check this.

One thing I find suspect in the criticism is the focus on linearity. It was extremely clear to me what Amir was talking about in the context of the review, and when people go pedantic over linearity standards, that to me signals a rhetorical attempt to muddy the waters, made in bad faith. Chord and ESS, for example, make dacs with extremely high linearity, and I can see the need for low error tolerance in creating a standardized test bench. Another thing, about members of the trade criticizing each other - I think we all know that companies are using brand ambassadors as a loophole to be able to do this.

And as an avid headfi reader, I have to say that this post doesn't match your usual writing style.

Nope.

I think that Jude's post was very well thought out. Just trying to determine bias though. Could anyone shed light on other than free equipment what would Jude recieve from Schiit? I'm guessing they pay to be on this site and go to events and this is an important revenue generator for Jude but I could be wrong.

Nope.

Jude, Less a matter of discovery than a simple statements of fact. The examples you post only highlights that some forms of distortion may sound pleasing to some listeners, The simple matter of measurement reveals those which are the more accurate components and those that may offer a happy sounding tone controls.

And nope.

Anything Amir ever has or ever will post is tainted. It has been proven that he intentionally manipulates his measurement and in some cases straight up botches them (see his Yggy measurements). If it's not intentional, then it is due to gross incompetence. Idk which is worse. It's probably a mixture of both.

Again. He has been intentionally or through sheer incompetence been manipulating and screwing up measurements in order to push his own agenda. Then his lap dogs eat it out of his hand and regurgitate it all over different audio communities like a disease.

Just look at this crap that was posted this morning on his website: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/page-23
(Scroll to the bottom)

This is next level conspiracy bs. People like this do not deserve our attention and should not be given a platform from which to spew their nonsense.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,399 of 12,304
I saw some new measurements done yesterday by a pretty cool guy, and it decides things fairly decisively if you ask me: Amir has an agenda. As for if he's crooked, immoral, liar, or worse, I don't have a comment towards those claims, but I will say that I suspected from the very start that his "reviews" for Schiit products smacked of immaturity and sensationalism that made me question his motives.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #8,400 of 12,304
Anything Amir ever has or ever will post is tainted. It has been proven that he intentionally manipulates his measurement and in some cases straight up botches them (see his Yggy measurements). If it's not intentional, then it is due to gross incompetence. Idk which is worse. It's probably a mixture of both.
Where is your evidence? A blindside name calling post without supporting evidence is simply FUD. Stop by ASR and confront Amir with your accusations.
I case you don't understand, FUD = Fear, uncertainty and doubt (often shortened to FUD) is a disinformation strategy used in sales, marketing, public relations, talk radio, politics, cults, and propaganda. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information and a manifestation of the appeal to fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back