Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 8, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #8,116 of 12,289
This upgrade is costing me, both upgrades that is, $763 not counting another $50 shipping in so do the math as far as resales. I have not seen many but yiggy "a" ususally $1700. People love to screw you downward. I will never sell mine!!!!!

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #8,117 of 12,289
Seeing how the queue numbers change, Schiit must be doing the upgrades in batch mode. I ordered my upgrades 3 months ago and had been sitting at 39 & 40 (A2 & Gen 5) for about a month and today I received the emails to send it in. So now it will be interesting to see how long the upgrade takes. I shipped it back today UPS 2 Day Air and Schiit will be shipping back to me FedEx Next Day. I am currently listening to my previous DAC, an Emotiva XDA-1. What a step down. No, it's a flight of stairs down in quality.

I am looking forward to comparing GEN5 USB vs. Eitr and Neutrik AES converter/transformer.

May 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #8,118 of 12,289
...What is a fair market price for gen 5 USB analog 1 Yggy with no blemishes?

I was wondering that a couple of weeks ago when I still had not heard regarding my upgrade request put in Jan 16th.

Figure a new one is $2400 + shipping ~$2450. Upgrading yours would cost the buyer $550 + shipping both ways ~$650 and a loooooong wait. A new one has a 5 year warranty. Sending one in gets you a 2 year warranty.

It is sad but I would say clearing anything over $1200 would be good.

May 8, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #8,119 of 12,289
While we are on the topic of the Yggy...

Does anyone have a strong feeling about the SQ difference between the balanced outputs and the single ended ones?

I prefer the balanced outputs.

May 8, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #8,120 of 12,289
Probably going to sell my yggy after listening to PS audio DAC's. What is a fair market price for gen 5 USB analog 1 Yggy with no blemishes?

Sold my Yggy-A (no Analog 2, no Gen 5) for $1500.

May 8, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #8,121 of 12,289
I guess the dam has broken. I was 82 this past weekend and I got an upgrade notice from Schiit today. Woohoo! I will use my Dangerous Source dac while my Yggy is away and I will report back about how Source compares to Yggy2...and add my two cents to other posts about how Yggy1 compares to Yggy2.
Just got my RA email today too, but I'm traveling this week, so won't be sending the Yggy back until next week. What should I use while it is away? The options are a Holo Spring, currently on my home office headphone system, a Soekris dac1541, currently the DAC/amp for my work system, or the built-in DAC on my Hegel H360. Choices, choices...

May 9, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #8,123 of 12,289
Good luck with your upgrades! It will be worth it.
With much better separation and texture in the upper registers, listening to orchestral music has been awesome.
The violins being the powerhouse of orchestras, being able to hear the texture of the many violins playing in unison is really something else. Not only the strings, but the horns and the winds have their own texture which I don't remember hearing with the Yggy1. I am re listening all of my mahler.

May 9, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #8,124 of 12,289
The analog 2 upgrade was a very good choice for me.

The bass is much more accurate and less boomy compared to the original Yggy. I've heard people say that the bass is not as impactful and less in quantity, but I would say it is less boomy, more articulate, accurate, and definitely more punchy with more texture. I guess one of the reasons for not liking the upgrade is if you like boomy, head shaking bass, then the upgrade might sound dry, clinical, and boring.

Hmmm... I do like accurate, punchy, and textured bass, but I do not exactly know what to make of your emphasis on "less boomy bass," as I do not hear anything boomy about my analog 1 bass at all, as it stands now. I do like bass, but I do not consider myself as a "basshead," and to my non-basshead ears, my analog 1 seems to produce a bass that sounds just right for the type of music that is playing... I do look forward to my upgrade, but I hope the unit does not return with the bass sounding somewhat "anemic." This could all be just me worrying for nothing, I realize that. I am just anxious about not knowing how to interpret what you're calling "less boomy." I guess I shall find out soon enough:)

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #8,125 of 12,289
Hmmm... I do like accurate, punchy, and textured bass, but I do not exactly know what to make of your emphasis on "less boomy bass," as I do not hear anything boomy about my analog 1 bass at all, as it stands now. I do like bass, but I do not consider myself as a "basshead," and to my non-basshead ears, my analog 1 seems to produce a bass that sounds just right for the type of music that is playing... I do look forward to my upgrade, but I hope the unit does not return with the bass sounding somewhat "anemic." This could all be just me worrying for nothing, I realize that. I am just anxious about not knowing how to interpret what you're "less boomy." I guess I shall find out soon enough:)

I too like the bass of my yggy and would not like to loose it....
I am hoping that it's just the enhanced highs that give the illusion of less bass...
Not yet in line for the upgrade but diligently reading up on impressions...

May 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #8,126 of 12,289
Hmmm... I do like accurate, punchy, and textured bass, but I do not exactly know what to make of your emphasis on "less boomy bass," as I do not hear anything boomy about my analog 1 bass at all, as it stands now. I do like bass, but I do not consider myself as a "basshead," and to my non-basshead ears, my analog 1 seems to produce a bass that sounds just right for the type of music that is playing... I do look forward to my upgrade, but I hope the unit does not return with the bass sounding somewhat "anemic." This could all be just me worrying for nothing, I realize that. I am just anxious about not knowing how to interpret what you're "less boomy." I guess I shall find out soon enough:)

Many times I have thought that this or that wasn't a problem until I heard better.

May 9, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #8,127 of 12,289
Many times I have thought that this or that wasn't a problem until I heard better.
I've been burning in my Analogue 2 upgrade and reached 250 hours today. It's been sounding better all the time! For those concerned about the bass with A2, my thoughts are that pre upgrade the bass sounded excellent in my system. However it now sounds even better so I wouldn't worry about it :)

May 9, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #8,128 of 12,289
So, the laptop in my music-eco-system died and I replaced it with Intel NUC computer. This computer came with SMPS that I replaced with a linear power supply and the change it brought in is substantial. 3-D aspect of sound-stage is more apparent. I get to hear some non-directional (you feel like somebody is making that sound somewhere in your house :)) sounds/notes in every track I play.

This combination of Intel NUC computer with linear power supply is yielding way better results than a laptop for me.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #8,129 of 12,289
I find myself with a self-inflicted dilemma. I now have one Yggy2 and three amplifiers. I currently have a pair of XLR Y-cables splitting the Balanced Output from Yggy2 (output impedance 75ohm) to my Yamaha A-S3000 (input impedance 100kOhm) and Mjolnir 2 (input impedance 50kOhm). This arrangement works very well and I hear no audible loss of sound quality. However I think I'd be pushing my luck if I tried to passively split Yggy2's Balanced Output three-ways to also include my Jotunheim (input impedance 50kOhm). Is anyone else doing a parallel three-way split like this, or are you using a proper XLR switchbox so that Yggy only ever sees one amplifier's input impedance at a time? The Dodocus XLR switchbox has been recommended to me by a fellow head-fi'er. Are there any alternatives I should be aware of?

May 9, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #8,130 of 12,289
... I do not exactly know what to make of your emphasis on "less boomy bass," as I do not hear anything boomy about my analog 1 bass at all, as it stands now. ... I am just anxious about not knowing how to interpret what you're calling "less boomy."
Describing Sound A Glossary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back