Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 4, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #8,088 of 12,283
She played hard to get for the first three weeks but my Yggy2 is now finally revealing her superior attributes and… I think I’m in love! Let's however get the technicalities out of the way before I give my all-important subjective impressions.

My Yamaha A-S3000 conveniently has an attenuation switch on the rear panel which promises to reduce the balanced input level to line input level and, in the case of Yggy2, it works a treat as it brings Yggy (BAL) output level to within 0.1dB of my Bifrost4490 (SE) which is great for the purposes of level-matched A/B comparisons. Unfortunately Yggy2 (SE) output is -0.6dB lower, which is quite a noticeable to my ears when A/B switching and, unless accounted for, potentially places it at a disadvantage in subjective listening evaluations.*

* I quantified the differences in output levels by acoustically measuring the SPL of sine waves in my listening room using a UMIK-1 and REW SPL Meter. As the measurements are acoustic and not electrical they are not scientifically robust but are good enough IMO to ballpark the relative differences to hep make the A/B comparisons fairer. The measurements are as follows:

Bifrost4490 (SE):
30Hz = 75.0dB
100Hz = 75.0dB
1kHz = 75.0dB
10kHz = 75.0dB

Yggy2 (BAL):
30Hz = 75.1dB
100Hz = 75.1dB
1kHz = 75.1dB
10kHz = 75.1dB

Yggy2 (SE):
30Hz = 74.2dB
100Hz = 74.5dB
1klHz = 74.5dB
10kHz = 74.5dB

These readings show that from 100Hz upwards, Bifrost4490 (SE) is approx -0.1dB lower output than than Yggy2 (BAL), Yggy2 (SE) is approx -0.6dB lower output than Yggy2 (BAL), and Yggy2 (SE) is approx -0.5dB lower than Bifrost4490 (SE). Below 100Hz, Yggy2 (SE) rolls off very slightly and ends up being approx -0.9dB lower output than Yggy2 (BAL) at 30Hz instead of -0.6dB.

My early impression of Yggy2 over its first week or so of use was that it sounded remarkably similar to my Bifrost4490. In fact when switching between the two in real time I honestly could not reliably detect yet alone quantify any sonic differences between the two DACs. Something quite profound must have occurred in the burn-in and/or stabilisation process between weeks 2 and 3 however, as differences began to emerge. Last night especially, for the first time I could clearly and reliably hear the differences each time I switched and pretty much regardless of the genre of music being played. So what are the differences I speak of? Pretty much the same as what the many other satisfied Yggy2 owners have noted:

- An increase in resolution and detail retrieval. I liken it to upgrading to a display with an increased number of pixels, or cleaning a window that you already thought was clean. It’s not until you see/hear the improvement that you become aware of the extent that your previous DAC was ‘hazing’ or ‘fuzzing’ the image. This improvement applies to the entire frequency spectrum but, as others have pointed out, is especially audible on cymbal work, where the reduction of grain and increase in smooth decay adds immensely to the clarity and realism and takes you a significant step closer to actually feeling as if you are in the room with the artists as they are performing.

- A notable increase in presence/ambience. Reverb tails are both more audible and smoother, and their decays linger for longer, which conveys with more clarity and detail the physical/sonic characteristics of the recording space.

- As I touched upon earlier, Yggy2 provides a much clearer window into the recording than Bifrost4490. A/B’ing reveals imaging and soundstaging that is more focused/precise and less diffuse. Individual instruments are given more space and sharper/crisper outlines**, which improves the 3D perception of depth and layering, but not in an artificial or disjointed way. I was actually a little concerned by some of the reports of Yggy2 having more palpability/solidity and less “air” than Yggy1. I don’t have any experience with Yggy1 but I do favour a well-lit, crisp presentation with air and sparkle up top. To my delight, Yggy2 offers more of this than my Bifrost4490, which by comparison is rather diffuse and imprecise.

** Before this observation is misinterpreted, I want to stress that the added focus and crispness that Yggy2 has brought to my system is not akin to the typical ‘brightness’ profile you might associate with, for example, a ‘bright’ sounding amplifier (such as Jotunheim perhaps), which can accentuate harshness/stridency on less than stellar recordings or tip your system over into sounding too analytical/clinical if your loudspeakers/headphones already lean in this direction. The crispness and clarity that Yggy2 has brought to my system has actually had the opposite effect and has reduced perceived digital glare, which is an interesting contradiction to ponder!…

I was so immersed in music last night I didn’t get to bed until 3am…. I can foresee many more late nights ahead as I continue to rediscover my music collection with Yggy2 as my portal of choice. Here’s to the next 3 weeks! :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #8,090 of 12,283
Great review.

Yea...but what do you know???

Heh Bill ....what's up with your new avatar?? Changing political affiliations???

Cheers!

May 4, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #8,092 of 12,283
She played hard to get for the first three weeks but my Yggy2 is now finally revealing her superior attributes and… I think I’m in love! Let's however get the technicalities out of the way before I give my all-important subjective impressions.

My Yamaha A-S3000 conveniently has an attenuation switch on the rear panel which promises to reduce the balanced input level to line input level and, in the case of Yggy2, it works a treat as it brings Yggy (BAL) output level to within 0.1dB of my Bifrost4490 (SE) which is great for the purposes of level-matched A/B comparisons.[...]

Hi! I can't believe this is the second time this week that I am reading about the Yamaha top cd player on these forums! I am considering for the future a Yamaha 2100 OR an Yggy / Metrum Onyx / Holo Spring dac. Could you please compare the Yggy with the Yamaha as a music source? Also, how much better is the Yamaha as a transport compared to the computer via USB Gen5?
Many many thanks!

May 4, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #8,093 of 12,283
Hi! I can't believe this is the second time this week that I am reading about the Yamaha top cd player on these forums! I am considering for the future a Yamaha 2100 OR an Yggy / Metrum Onyx / Holo Spring dac. Could you please compare the Yggy with the Yamaha as a music source? Also, how much better is the Yamaha as a transport compared to the computer via USB Gen5?
Many many thanks!
As much as I'd love one, I don't actually have the Yamaha CD-S3000 CD player, I just the A-S3000 amplifier.

May 4, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #8,094 of 12,283
Many many thanks!
Isn't the a s3000 an integrated amp, not a cdp?

May 4, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,095 of 12,283
Derp, just noticed he already replied.
Afaik the cdp you're talking about is good but if you're going to buy a reference level cdp you can do better by getting a used vdrs transport from teac or esoteric. If you must buy brand new I would go with the marantz reference cd10.

May 4, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #8,096 of 12,283
Just a tribute to my new favorite driver tubes, 1950's Russian-made Foton triple mica 6n3p's. You good with that comrade? There has been NO COLLUSION !!! Lmao.

I mentioned I picked up a set of Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed....I listened to them through Dan's Woo Audio WA5-LE V2 (at the So Cal Can Jam) and I gotta admit that pairing sounded awfully sweet!! With Oppo checking out of the Audio biz...maybe one day I might switch horses into the land of tubes!! Thanks for the Flag explanation...figured it was something like that...:)

May 5, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #8,097 of 12,283
As much as I'd love one, I don't actually have the Yamaha CD-S3000 CD player, I just the A-S3000 amplifier.
Oops, sorry! This shows I didn't pay enough attention. So, how's the amplifier? Offtopic, I know, but this brand gets so little recognition around here that it's hard for me not to ask - if you prefer, please answer by PM. The A-S2100 is at the top of my list in case I won't go the active speakers route. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #8,098 of 12,283
@Don Quichotte I am currently using my Yggy with the Yamaha AS2100. Excellent combo after i tried few integrated.
The AS2100 helped bring through the solid bass and clarity on details the Yggy is good at providing. Amp is extremely quiet and runs lukewarm mostly.
Best sq is having a balanced chain all the way.
Highly recommended.

May 5, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #8,099 of 12,283
Oops, sorry! This shows I didn't pay enough attention. So, how's the amplifier? Offtopic, I know, but this brand gets so little recognition around here that it's hard for me not to ask - if you prefer, please answer by PM. The A-S2100 is at the top of my list in case I won't go the active speakers route. Thanks!

@Don Quichotte I am currently using my Yggy with the Yamaha AS2100. Excellent combo after i tried few integrated.
The AS2100 helped bring through the solid bass and clarity on details the Yggy is good at providing. Amp is extremely quiet and runs lukewarm mostly.
Best sq is having a balanced chain all the way.
Highly recommended.

Indeed. Many audiophools my side of the pond are still quite snobbish about Yamaha due to their perception of the brand being a jack of all trades, but my appreciation of their hifi gear first started when I picked up a couple of their vintage TOTL receivers from the 1970s, including a CR-1000, CR-2020, then the CA-1000 Class A amplifier (all on the used market, back in the mid-noughties when these units could be had for beer money almost).

The one aspect I love more than any other about Yamaha gear is its uncoloured neutrality and transparency, which really allows all of the detail from the source to pass through without adulteration.

I eventually grew tired of not having a remote control for volume and source selection (I have cerebral palsy so getting up and down is even more of a PITA for me than the average Joe), so when I found a great deal on an ex-demo A-S2000 I jumped on it. All the time though I secretly yearned for the TOTL A-S3000 (c'mon, ya gotta love the those huge VU/Watt meters and stunning Piano Black side panels!), so that's what I ultimately ended up with. And I have no regrets whatsoever.

The A-S3000 has the quietest noise floor of any amp I've ever owned and the only one whose output is silent when my ear is placed a few inches away from the tweeter on my 95dB/1w/1m sensitive Tannoy speakers. The build quality and aesthetic finish on the amp is really something to behold too. I can honestly say I have no complaints.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back