Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 5, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #8,101 of 12,283
Yggy2 progress report:

I received my upgraded Yggy with the new analog boards this past Monday. I have been playing different music on it continuously and now have probably ~100 hours on it. It started out sounding as other have described, like a cheap CD player, woolly and constricted. At about 50 hours it started to show promise with its character more like I am used to with the well played original Yggy. Now at 100 hours it sounds very good, at least equaling the Yggy1. Very clear, detailed, refined sound with taught bass. Strings have "sweetness" and bass has "growl".

The real test will be to take it out of my HP system where it is breaking in and replace the Yggy1 in my speaker system. I do most of my listening with speakers these days as I now have a space to do that so this is my "reference" sound. The front end on my speaker system is better than on my HP system as are my Linear Tube Audio pre and amp.

More to follow...

May 8, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #8,102 of 12,283
The analog 2 upgrade was a very good choice for me.

Not sure if the change is more up to date with the current trend/direction of where the audio world is headed or if the change simply reflects the enhanced accuracy and technicality. In comparison to the Yggy2, the original sounded as if the lower half of the audible spectrum was under the spotlight. The Yggy2 has so much more detail and separation in the upper frequencies with the spotlight more centered to shine evenly throughout the spectrum. The bass is much more accurate and less boomy compared to the original Yggy. I've heard people say that the bass is not as impactful and less in quantity, but I would say it is less boomy, more articulate, accurate, and definitely more punchy with more texture. I guess one of the reasons for not liking the upgrade is if you like boomy, head shaking bass, then the upgrade might sound dry, clinical, and boring.

I tend to enjoy my music the most when nothing is accentuated or taken away with accuracy that sounds very high in energy and all cylinders firing throughout the audible spectrum. Any boost or intentional coloration, then seems distracting and makes it difficult to achieve this state. Highly recommended to anyone currently contemplating.

May 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #8,103 of 12,283
The analog 2 upgrade was a very good choice for me......... In comparison to the Yggy2, the original sounded as if the lower half of the audible spectrum was under the spotlight...... The bass is much more accurate and less boomy compared to the original Yggy. ........but I would say it is less boomy, more articulate, accurate, and definitely more punchy with more texture..... Highly recommended to anyone currently contemplating.

I agree completely with regard to the difference in the bass between yggy A and yggy B. The difference is so profound, that IMO it can serve as "confirmation" that the upgrade was actually performed. This is NOT to imply Schiit is charging money for the upgrade and simply slapping a new serial number sticker on the unit. Rather, I mean to convey the bass difference should be so obvious that it offers into evidence yet another way to realize the upgrade has actually been performed.

Unquestionably, but again in my opinion, the Yggy A exhibits some degree of bass emphasis. With yggy B, there is no emphasis (audible detectable with the naked ear) over the entire frequency spectrum.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #8,104 of 12,283
I agree completely with regard to the difference in the bass between yggy A and yggy B. The difference is so profound, that IMO it can serve as "confirmation" that the upgrade was actually performed. This is NOT to imply Schiit is charging money for the upgrade and simply slapping a new serial number sticker on the unit. Rather, I mean to convey the bass difference should be so obvious that it offers into evidence yet another way to realize the upgrade has actually been performed.

Unquestionably, but again in my opinion, the Yggy A exhibits some degree of bass emphasis. With yggy B, there is no emphasis (audible detectable with the naked ear) over the entire frequency spectrum.

May 8, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #8,106 of 12,283
I guess the dam has broken. I was 82 this past weekend and I got an upgrade notice from Schiit today. Woohoo! I will use my Dangerous Source dac while my Yggy is away and I will report back about how Source compares to Yggy2...and add my two cents to other posts about how Yggy1 compares to Yggy2.

May 8, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #8,107 of 12,283
I guess the dam has broken. I was 82 this past weekend and I got an upgrade notice from Schiit today. Woohoo! I will use my Dangerous Source dac while my Yggy is away and I will report back about how Source compares to Yggy2...and add my two cents to other posts about how Yggy1 compares to Yggy2.
Happy Birthday young man and many more.

Hope you like the upgrade.

May 8, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #8,109 of 12,283
Thanks for your kind wish, but I meant that I was number 82 on the Schiit upgrade list. I still have a bit to go before 82 years. Us old guys gotta listen to tunes, too!
Ha ha... Sorry about that. My kids are sick and it was a long long night. Guess I should read more carefully.

Happy Birthday nonetheless old man.

May 8, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #8,110 of 12,283
Ha ha... Sorry about that. My kids are sick and it was a long long night. Guess I should read more carefully.

Happy Birthday nonetheless old man.

You sure you weren't indulging in excessive amounts of what is depicted on top of your components list? :wink:

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #8,111 of 12,283
You should you weren't indulging in excessive amounts of what is depicted on top of your components list? :wink:
That's normally the culprit, but alas I'm on the wagon right now, at least for a month. However it's given me more time to fire up my still and make some liquor as well as brew some beer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 8, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #8,112 of 12,283
Nice!! I just checked and I am now 33 was 80 something last weekend.

May 8, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #8,113 of 12,283
Probably going to sell my yggy after listening to PS audio DAC's. What is a fair market price for gen 5 USB analog 1 Yggy with no blemishes?

May 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #8,114 of 12,283
Not sure what the market it like for the used Yggy's, but I would want a Yggy with the analog 2 upgrade so you'd have to at least subtract that amount from your selling price plus shipping etc if I were a potential buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back