Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 17, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #5,566 of 12,241
Thanks! I wanted to do an "apples to apples" comparison between my current Dante/AES setup and the new USB input but have no way to do so as it stands. I might set up a new SSD with Windows 10 just to experiment. A lot of work when you would think that the new card should work for me since Schiit did not post any new drivers for the Yggy and the old USB drivers worked fine for 2012r2.

A mystery...

Have you tried these from Schiit? : "Gen 2/Gen 5 Drivers for Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber, Bifrost, and Gungnir".
http://www.schiit.com/drivers

I don't know why Schiit hasn't included a Gen 5 USB driver update for Yggy.
It confused me at first too. I didn't know which driver to use with my updated Yggy, so I plugged it in and booted into Windows 10 and was shocked to see that it had been instantly recognized by Windows and set to the default output device.
Nice to see Windows finally supports USB 2.0 audio devices directly out of the OS!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #5,569 of 12,241
Just recieved and installed my Gen 5 usb board in my Yggy, and it was a piece of cake. Following the instruction on this site took any concern with the install away. Just need to be handy with a phillips screwdriver. Can't comment of the sound at this time, as I did the install at my job.(lunchtime).

Now home with YggY with upgraded usb board. Plug everything up and nothing other than the power light.-:frowning2: Other imputs are working but not usb. My McAir is showing new gen 5 driver, but no cigar. Hmm, more research shows that the usb audio driver is in mute. Unmute and viola! What a sick feeling I had when I got no sound!

I have heard all type of descriptions as to what to expect to hear with the Gen 5 board installed. I think what ones hears is system depended. I have read some reviews say, the sound is brighter, but not in my case. What I hear for a first listen is a more powerful sound( I am listening with speakers). By that I mean the bass is more powerful, the instruments in the music sound closer to me. The sound seems to be a bit fuller. I"m happy! The Gen 5 Upgrade was well worth the 100 bucks IMO. I had some fear that I would not like the sound, based on my experience with wryd. When I had purchased it, my system sounded thinner and very lean. There WAS much more resolution, but I think that came about because of the lower noise floor, and leanness. This is not the case with Gen 5. It brings all the improvements I would have wanted. Thanks Schitt!

Next up, Vidar and Freya!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,570 of 12,241
Warming back up after installing Gen 5. Install wasn't bad at all thanks to the instructions on this thread. Waiting a while before any critical listening.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #5,571 of 12,241
Thanks! I wanted to do an "apples to apples" comparison between my current Dante/AES setup and the new USB input but have no way to do so as it stands. I might set up a new SSD with Windows 10 just to experiment. A lot of work when you would think that the new card should work for me since Schiit did not post any new drivers for the Yggy and the old USB drivers worked fine for 2012r2.

A mystery...
I just installed my GEN 5 card and the driver did not want to install via the usual methods on my windows 7 machine.
Here's what eventually worked for me:
-I uninstalled the USB 3 1.06 drivers, restarted and they would not reinstall properly via the 1.06 setup file (no usb 2.0 device detected)

-I went in to device manager > sound controllers > Yggdrasil Gen 5/_!_\

-Went to update driver and had to select browse for driver then let me choose from a list of drivers.

-I then selected the have disk option and browsed to the location I extracted my Gen 3 yggy drivers to and went looking for the Win7 .inf file

- In your case I would try Schiit_USB-Gen3_1_06\WIN81\SoftwareDriver\Driver\CMUACWO.inf and force Windows to use the driver.

After this process the yggy gen 5 exclamation triangle went away and I was able to select it as a playback device in Windows and Jriver.

Hopefully there is a similar way to force 2012 to use your old gen3 driver like this. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #5,572 of 12,241
I just installed my GEN 5 card and the driver did not want to install via the usual methods on my windows 7 machine.
Here's what eventually worked for me:
-I uninstalled the USB 3 1.06 drivers, restarted and they would not reinstall properly via the 1.06 setup file (no usb 2.0 device detected)

-I went in to device manager > sound controllers > Yggdrasil Gen 5/_!_\

-Went to update driver and had to select browse for driver then let me choose from a list of drivers.

-I then selected the have disk option and browsed to the location I extracted my Gen 3 yggy drivers to and went looking for the Win7 .inf file

- In your case I would try Schiit_USB-Gen3_1_06\WIN81\SoftwareDriver\Driver\CMUACWO.inf and force Windows to use the driver.

After this process the yggy gen 5 exclamation triangle went away and I was able to select it as a playback device in Windows and Jriver.

Hopefully there is a similar way to force 2012 to use your old gen3 driver like this. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Thanks for the tip. That was how I successfully installed the Gen3 drivers however when I went to using the Rednet ethernet to AES converter I uninstalled those drivers. When I installed the new Gen5 board I could not get that technique to work.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #5,573 of 12,241
...So new issue now. I decided to install a new SSD and give Win10 Pro a try. The good news is that the Gen5 board is automatically recognized by the new builtin Windows USB2 driver. Plays music well with WASAPI.

The issue now is that if I RDP to my headless PC I can play music however as soon as I exit RDP it stops. I cannot even get JRemote to work unless I have an open session of RDP. This all worked seamlessly with Win2012 so I am stumped.

How are folks remoting to their server using Windows 10 Pro?

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #5,574 of 12,241
My question, does the Gen 5 board eliminate the need for any the USB regen, Itona etc. devices?
The Yiggy did not need the Regen, the Itona is minimal improvement but at least you can hear some.

I tried the JCAT USB Isolaror (Intona Pro in a nicer case) for a couple of days and didn't notice much if any difference when used with Schiit Gen 5.

IMO. Gen 5 USB is at its best when directly connected to the source PC.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #5,575 of 12,241
I tried the JCAT USB Isolaror (Intona Pro in a nicer case) for a couple of days and didn't notice much if any difference when used with Schiit Gen 5.

IMO. Gen 5 USB is at its best when directly connected to the source PC.

Thanks Jaimee I thought so.
There really is not a night and day difference without the Gen 5 board installed.
I will get the board eventually. Not a priority because my primary listening is PCM/CD with a CXC Transport.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #5,576 of 12,241
...So new issue now. I decided to install a new SSD and give Win10 Pro a try. The good news is that the Gen5 board is automatically recognized by the new builtin Windows USB2 driver. Plays music well with WASAPI.

The issue now is that if I RDP to my headless PC I can play music however as soon as I exit RDP it stops. I cannot even get JRemote to work unless I have an open session of RDP. This all worked seamlessly with Win2012 so I am stumped.

How are folks remoting to their server using Windows 10 Pro?

as i mentioned in another post, i also have the same problem of music stopping when i exit rdp -- it's not a problem since i don't need to rdp in often and know to exit when nothing is playing. i don't have the problem of jriver not working when not in a rdp session. i would suggest you check and make sure that the dlna server box is checked (tools > options > media network > advanced) -- that could fix your issues.

for me, i just use jriver as a renderer (check box also under tools > options > media network > advanced). i've got a nas running minimserver and use the bubbleupnp app to control music (and get to use tidal). works great. i've got ao and fidelizer pro running (settings maxed out) and jriver sends its output to dirac live and then to the dac.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #5,577 of 12,241
as i mentioned in another post, i also have the same problem of music stopping when i exit rdp -- it's not a problem since i don't need to rdp in often and know to exit when nothing is playing. i don't have the problem of jriver not working when not in a rdp session. i would suggest you check and make sure that the dlna server box is checked (tools > options > media network > advanced) -- that could fix your issues.

for me, i just use jriver as a renderer (check box also under tools > options > media network > advanced). i've got a nas running minimserver and use the bubbleupnp app to control music (and get to use tidal). works great. i've got ao and fidelizer pro running (settings maxed out) and jriver sends its output to dirac live and then to the dac.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the DNLA box checked but your tip of not having a track playing is a good work-around. It allows me to still use JRemote on my phone to re-initiate music.

The problem is an odd one but must be due to default behavior of RDP when accessing a server as opposed to a desktop OS.

I have a NAS for backing up my music but prefer to access files from a local disk.

I appreciate the input. Now at least I can uninstall Team Viewer!

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #5,578 of 12,241
I think that I have this sorted out...

My Yggy sounds absolutely wonderful but in my system it is at it's best when using the AES output from my RedNet D16 ethernet to AES converter. In this scenario I use the Dante Virtual Soundcard with JRMC and an their ASIO driver. So all of this time I had no issues with using RDP. Evidently the issues with RDP are with WASAPI, not ASIO.

The reason this issue came up was because of the new upgraded USB "Gen5" card. Being an experimenter at heart I wanted to see if this $100 upgrade card could approach my D16/AES setup. What I did not count on was limited driver support from Schiit. With this new card there are no working drivers for Win2012r2 as there were with the previous card and no ASIO driver at all for Win10. When I found out that the new card would not work with Win2012 I got frustrated and decided to set up an alternative SSD with Win10 Pro on it.

This is what prompted the RDP question. I can now see that it was ASIO that allowed me to exit RDP cleanly and WASAPI that was the issue. I was using WASAPI because it was the only driver that worked with the new USB card on Win10 Pro. It was recognized by Windows own native USB2 driver which is now built in to it's newest version. I can find no ASIO solution for this new USB card including trying ASIO4ALL.

..So to make a short story long and boring I am now back to using Dante/AES with Windows 10 for my listening. The good news is that with the RedNet D16 I find that the operating system matters very little as do other PC tweaks so I may stay with Windows 10. So far I have also found that the Rednet D16 sounds much better in my system than the new USB solution. I am still playing music through the USB card to break it in more so that the comparison will be fair. The card probably sounds better than the previous USB card but it is not a giant killer in my system...however the DAC still is.

Thanks to those who have replied to my questions. It is appreciated.

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #5,579 of 12,241
I'm considering to buy an Yggdrasil to replace the Hugo in my actual headphone setup (Mac Mini as Roon server, Sotm sms-200, Hugo, Liquid Carbon 2.0, Ether C Flow).

I read comments about Cavalli amps generally not being a good match for the Yggdrasil. Any comments on that?

Can anyone provide a few listening impressions of the Yggy matched with different headphone amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back