Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #5,596 of 12,235
Not everyone thinks like us. Many are sceptical about Yggy and Rggy. I suspect a lot write it off before they even heard it. It's how it is in head-fi. A rumour starts and it just spread. It gets pass from mouth to mouth.

I know it's individual's opinion and everyone is entitled to it but I couldn't agree that Yggy and Rggy is lean and bright. What I hear is full body tone, texture with a hint of warm. Treble is very clear with no hint of harshness. I sat down and audition Ragnarok with Violectric v281 at Addicted To Audio. Rag sounds so clear and involving. Mind you, I was listening with HD800 balance. When I switch to v281, the tone became too relaxed, soft and warm. It's like the energy's gone. Quite shock by that because the week before when I heard just v281, it sounded very good to me.

That's how I end up buying Ragnarok. 2 months prior, I had already bought Yggdrasil. Going from NAD d1050 to Yggy is a jump too far .... for weeks I couldn't stop talking about Yggy. Such was the impact it had on me and my ears. :)

Ps... I'm not saying v281 sounds bad. On the contrary I thought it sounded very good but my ears prefers Yggy and Rggy more than Yggy and v281. By quite a big margin. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #5,597 of 12,235
The YGGY Rok combo was the first setup that made me actually think the LCD3 was any good. Still dont own them, thoigh. Before that I was never impressed with the LCD3. Still like the HD800 better. FWIW, IMO and all that.
I love the disclaimer part lol

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,598 of 12,235
I agree. @UntilThen, there are some that don't take the time to listen and spread rumor and bias based on what they have read. There are some that state their opinion or preference as fact and insinuate that if you don't agree or hear what they hear there must be something wrong with you or your ears. Gotta take what is said on the internet with a grain of salt and find out for yourself (including what I am saying right now :ksc75smile: ).

What I do is read all I can, meet people and talk to them and find someone (or a group of someones) who "hear" what I hear and use that as a guide for what to go listen to myself.
On rare occasions I will buy on the reading alone if I cant get to listen to it first. There is risk in doing this, but I weigh the risk and make MY OWN decision to buy.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,599 of 12,235
@bearFNF I couldn't agree with you more. Fortunately I have a favourite brick and mortar store here in Sydney, where I can go anytime to audition head-fi or hifi gear before purchase. The guys there knows me so well now, it's like my personal store. :)

Agree too that you will, with time, pick out some friends with reliable impressions to talk to. There's someone on head-fi with a signature that says 'Non owners speaks the loudest'. I agree fully. :)

Check out what they have. :)
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #5,600 of 12,235
The YGGY Rok combo was the first setup that made me actually think the LCD3 was any good. Still dont own them, thoigh. Before that I was never impressed with the LCD3. Still like the HD800 better. FWIW, IMO and all that.
You should try the 200ohm edition of LCD4. With Yggdrasil connected fully balanced to the Moon 430HA, and LCD4 connected via balanced cable - that is pure magic :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #5,601 of 12,235
I have tried LCD4, don't remember which ones they were, actually did not know there was more than one version.:beerchug:
They sound very good as long as the chain supports them, similar to lots of other phones, its the synergy of the chain that makes the difference.
You should try the 200ohm edition of LCD4. With Yggdrasil connected fully balanced to the Moon 430HA, and LCD4 connected via balanced cable - that is pure magic :)

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #5,602 of 12,235

I can't imagine what LCD4 will sound like on Yggy and Rggy in balance mode. I'm afraid to try at Addicted To Audio for fear that I might like it too much because the price of LCD4 is a killer. What I do know now is that LCD-2f in balance mode through Yggy and Rggy have me lapping up every song that I play. I just can't stop listening. So much so my once fav hd800 is taking a back seat now. :)

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #5,603 of 12,235
I read a few comments saying that Mike Moffat suggested that the AES/EBU input on the Yggy is to be preferred over the USB.
As I will not be able to audition by myself, is there any post in this or other threads were I can read the original text written by Mike?
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #5,605 of 12,235
Not sure of the original comment location but the AES/EBU uses an XLR connector.

SPDIF uses RCA or BNC.

I use the AES/EBU based upon Mikes recommendation.

You are right, AES/EBU uses the same XLR connector as the analogue interconnects.
I will edit my post to avoid confusion, thanks.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #5,606 of 12,235
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #5,609 of 12,235
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #5,610 of 12,235
Thanks a lot for the link, that's what I was looking for.
What I don't understand though is why a good quality USB signal generated by the addition of a good "USB decrapifier" should be any worse vs the AES/EBU or Coaxial.
All of them actually deconstruct and reconstruct the digital signal, so in a way they are all not perfect.

Do remember that those post were made more than 2 years ago, decrapifiier were commonly used, and before the Schiit gen5 usb was implemented.

so..eh.. who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back