Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #5,536 of 12,304
Better get a move on. You need to get about 40 hours listening in before the Redhook meet! :ksc75smile:
It's in and functioning as of 2pm and since my gear is on and playing 24/7 by the 19th I'll have accumulated ≈ 150hrs. And usually the 1st 10-12 hrs gives me a good idea of what the end result will be. Granted it will take more time to fully settle into my system but by later today I should have an idea of the what and how much, sort of.

And I just configured JRiver to play the same tracks to both USB and AOIP simultaneously so I can switch from AOIP to USB with a single button push.
Going from USB to AOIP requires 4 button pushes.

JJ

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #5,538 of 12,304
The board alone is $100 (no factory install option) +S&H

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #5,539 of 12,304
At the 10hr mark the SQ is VERY nice.
This is a definite step up for 'stock' USB.

After it fully settles in I'll add a Wyrd, just to see what happens.
But for right now this is the best I have ever heard USB from my system.

And it's to early to tell if it will come up to the same level as my tweaked AOIP digital audio signal path, but it's very close and certainly way better than all of my previous attempts at improving USB and by a huge margin at that.

This upgrade is in keeping with the Schiit theme of affordable tweako SQ, and matches the Jggy's 'most for the least' hallmark.

If you have an upgradable multibit dac and operate using USB this is a no-brainer (or even if you don't use USB).
And even if you don't have a multibit dac but do use USB, this Gen-5 upgrade (via Eiter) is a whole 'mother may I' step up.
And while I haven't tried lots of other digital audio signal pathways to feed my Jggy, this upgrade has got to be the most BANG for the buck available.

JJ

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #5,540 of 12,304
Got some time to A/B between Gen5 USB and Singxer Su-1 (via AES) to Yggy. They are very close to each other, the SU-1 is slightly warmer than the Gen5, and I mean very slightly. I think if you already have SU-1, there's no reason why you need Gen5 USB, just feed the SU-1 to Yggy and call it a day. If you don't already, that's kinda a toss up, I think I would still go for the SU-1 as it's more versatile compared to getting Gen5 upgrade, I'm using it to feed my Holo Spring DAC as well (via I2S). Schiit offered 2 years renewal for the warranty, so that should be taken into consideration as well.

Yggy vs Holo Spring Lvl3 (with SU-1), I think at this time I preferred the Holo Spring better, it's noticeably smoother compared to the Yggy, and I like that for my music library, which contains mostly female vocal tracks.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #5,541 of 12,304
Got some time to A/B between Gen5 USB and Singxer Su-1 (via AES) to Yggy. They are very close to each other, the SU-1 is slightly warmer than the Gen5, and I mean very slightly. I think if you already have SU-1, there's no reason why you need Gen5 USB, just feed the SU-1 to Yggy and call it a day. If you don't already, that's kinda a toss up, I think I would still go for the SU-1 as it's more versatile compared to getting Gen5 upgrade, I'm using it to feed my Holo Spring DAC as well (via I2S). Schiit offered 2 years renewal for the warranty, so that should be taken into consideration as well.

Yggy vs Holo Spring Lvl3 (with SU-1), I think at this time I preferred the Holo Spring better, it's noticeably smoother compared to the Yggy, and I like that for my music library, which contains mostly female vocal tracks.
I'm kind of surprised by this. I would expect the Gen 5 USB to be the best; since you there go directly from USB to BWD (without any cables between). SU-1 goes from USB->SPDIF->cable->SPDIF receiver->BWD

Or in other format.
PC sends USB signal
USB signal via USB-cable to SU-1
SU-1 converts USB signal to SPDIF
SPDIF i sent via cable
SPDIF is received in Yggdrasil
SPDIF is converted to BWD (Yggdrasil's internal format)

Compared to:
PC sends USB signal
USB signal via USB-cable to Yggdrasil
Gen 5 USB converts signal to BWD

The last one should give best result. Keep in mind that we humans don't always prefer the most correct signal for some weird reason. Digital harshness can be interpreted as "clearer"/better.

Edit:
But smoother is often an indication of the most correct and natural signal. I'm looking forward to do similar comparing with the Gen 5 USB against Audiobyte Hydra-Z (which I will sell if Gen 5 USB beats it!).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #5,542 of 12,304
I'm kind of surprised by this. I would expect the Gen 5 USB to be the best; since you there go directly from USB to BWD (without any cables between). SU-1 goes from USB->SPDIF->cable->SPDIF receiver->BWD

Or in other format.
PC sends USB signal
USB signal via USB-cable to SU-1
SU-1 converts USB signal to SPDIF
SPDIF i sent via cable
SPDIF is received in Yggdrasil
SPDIF is converted to BWD (Yggdrasil's internal format)

Compared to:
PC sends USB signal
USB signal via USB-cable to Yggdrasil
Gen 5 USB converts signal to BWD

The last one should give best result. Keep in mind that we humans don't always prefer the most correct signal for some weird reason. Digital harshness can be interpreted as "clearer"/better.

Technically I agree with you, but to my ears, they don't sound much different. Through SU1 the sound is a bit warmer, a bit more musical, and Gen5 a bit bright, and therefore seems a bit cleaner.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #5,543 of 12,304
Technically I agree with you, but to my ears, they don't sound much different. Through SU1 the sound is a bit warmer, a bit more musical, and Gen5 a bit bright, and therefore seems a bit cleaner.
Always trust your ears. Use the equipment that gives you the sound you prefer. I'm not saying you are wrong; I was just surprised by this.

Edit:
The same pathway also applies for Gen 3 USB; which was good but no match for my Hydra-Z/ZPM combo. I suspect I will still prefer the Hydra-Z when comparing with Gen 5 USB; but I really hope for the Gen 5 USB to be the preferred alternative (it's cheaper!).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #5,544 of 12,304
Maybe it helps setting up a iFi micro iUSB3.0 (The Schiit Wyrd is not even in the same neighborhood regarding end-result) - it really made a huge difference on the Gen 3 USB (great improvement), and it actually also improves the Audiobyte Hydra-Z/ZPM combo as well. Often USB signals from a computer is really messed up (and some devices are better cleaning them up than others).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #5,545 of 12,304
I have the same two DACs, Aries>AES>Yggy and SU-1>I2S>Spring KTE 3, if anything I find the Spring a bit grainier but also a bit warmer (because of NOS upper-frequency roll-off?) for 44.1/16 PCM NOS, and very close the Yggy at higher sample rates (88.2 and above). Not that surprising, given NOS vs Schiit burrito filter upsampling.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #5,546 of 12,304
I've had the F-1, SU-1, MC-3+ USB, and now the Gen 5 Yggy upgrade board in my system, and would pretty much rate them in that order for pure sonic performance.
I can honestly say Gen 5 USB is a pleasant surprise. It's not just good value, it really does deliver great sound.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,547 of 12,304
After another session, I think now USB 5.0 is more preferable, The SU1 a bit darker presentation took away some of the liveliness in the music. Still prefer Spring (SU1 in NOS) to Yggy for vocals though, I think for other genre of music Yggy would be more preferable. Now that Schiit is offering self install for $50 less, it's a no brainier if you are handy and can install the board yourself. The most difficult part when reassembly Schiit gear is lining up those LEDs, luckily the Yggy has it own PCB so the upgrade is very straight forward. Note, I didn't do it myself, can't wait, so I sent my yggy in for schiit to do it, also taking advantage of the 2 years warranty renewal offer.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #5,548 of 12,304
After another session, I think now USB 5.0 is more preferable, The SU1 a bit darker presentation took away some of the liveliness in the music. Still prefer Spring (SU1 in NOS) to Yggy for vocals though, I think for other genre of music Yggy would be more preferable. Now that Schiit is offering self install for $50 less, it's a no brainier if you are handy and can install the board yourself. The most difficult part when reassembly Schiit gear is lining up those LEDs, luckily the Yggy has it own PCB so the upgrade is very straight forward. Note, I didn't do it myself, can't wait, so I sent my yggy in for schiit to do it, also taking advantage of the 2 years warranty renewal offer.
I'm looking forward to test it out myself. By the way, the new Schiit Gen 5 USB boards states 5.2 (so it's not 5.0 :wink:)

I have several tracks I know 100%; which will reveal if the Gen 5 is the best way of connecting USB to the Yggdrasil. I am really hoping that is the case (I want to free up some cash!)

Edit:
Lining up leds is not an issue; they are connected to the board behind the front; which is connected via a wire (you never need to touch those if I understand correctly).

Edit2:
And I'm guessing the sound will become better in time; clocks need time to settle (you have two of them on the Gen 5 USB board).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #5,549 of 12,304
Has anyone compared the Yggy + Schiit Eitr and the Yggy with the Gen 5 USB board SQ-wise?
I replaced my Audiophilleo2 w/Pure power with the Schiit Eitr in my Yggy chain of components, and I love what the Eitr is doing in the chain. Now I am going to have to move the Eitr to my second system where it will feed into my Metrum Acoustics Hex, so I have the option of either buying another Eitr for the Yggy, or simply sending it in for the Gen 5 USB upgrade.

Now I love the Eitr for its transportability and versatility, but the Gen 5 USB upgrade is as good as the Eitr, in its impact on the sound of the Yggy, then I might as well go for the Gen 5 Upgrade. Any thoughts? My source for the Yggy is the Sonore Ultrarendu renderer.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #5,550 of 12,304
Has anyone compared the Yggy + Schiit Eitr and the Yggy with the Gen 5 USB board SQ-wise?
I replaced my Audiophilleo2 w/Pure power with the Schiit Eitr in my Yggy chain of components, and I love what the Eitr is doing in the chain. Now I am going to have to move the Eitr to my second system where it will feed into my Metrum Acoustics Hex, so I have the option of either buying another Eitr for the Yggy, or simply sending it in for the Gen 5 USB upgrade.

Now I love the Eitr for its transportability and versatility, but the Gen 5 USB upgrade is as good as the Eitr, in its impact on the sound of the Yggy, then I might as well go for the Gen 5 Upgrade. Any thoughts? My source for the Yggy is the Sonore Ultrarendu renderer.

Eitr and Gen5 USB is the same. If you don't mind the DIY, I would go with Gen5 upgrade to save some $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back