Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #5,476 of 12,381
The so-called glitches are a well-understood, documented zero-transition artifact of the D2A chips used in Schiit's multibit DACs. Basically, at the zero transition all the bits in the PCM codeword switch and it's impossible for all those switches to happen exactly simultaneously, thus some of the resistors come in and out of the current path not exactly in sync, and the output voltage jiggles as a consequence. If the jiggle is below conceivable audible level, why worry? All designs have engineering compromises, and inaudible ones are what I want in my audio gear.

As for bit-perfect, that refers to the digital filter upstream of the D2A chips. What it means is that the interpolated upsampling of the source PCM includes all original samples, unlike most other digital filter designs. The so-called glitch is in analog-land, well below digital resolution.

As an engineer, I enjoy understanding these details, but I'm ever puzzled that people would worry about them as "imperfections," when all the evidence both from hearing science and from actual experience is that the design choices in the Schiit multibit designs are sound.

Aren't you ashamed of imposing your professional background and facts upon this discussion???? But thanks for doing it :ksc75smile:

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #5,477 of 12,381
I've read up on reason; but this "glitch" is in analog-land from what is the the 18 to 21 bits resolution output (18 bit starts from -108dB; and this jiggle is in the -110dB area +/- 2dB). Hence it is not well below digital resolution. I know all multibit solutions got this issue, but no overview at which level this influences the analog output of the D/A-chip. Wouldn't this indicate that we only get 17 or 18 "correct" bits out of the Yggdrasil?

I'm not trying to say that the Schiit Yggdrasil is bad (I love it!); just trying to get a better understanding of this issue (I like to understand how the world works).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #5,478 of 12,381
I've read up on reason; but this "glitch" is in analog-land from what is the the 18 to 21 bits resolution output (18 bit starts from -108dB; and this jiggle is in the -110dB area +/- 2dB). Hence it is not well below digital resolution. I know all multibit solutions got this issue, but no overview at which level this influences the analog output of the D/A-chip. Wouldn't this indicate that we only get 17 or 18 "correct" bits out of the Yggdrasil?
The glitch peak amplitude as shown on a scope is misleading. What matters is its power spectrum.* With respect to the original sampling, does that power show up significantly at frequencies below the Nyquist limit? With respect to hearing, no one has shown any evidence that the glitch power is significant at audible frequencies.

As a customer and engineer involved in constant technical tradeoffs, I love Schiit's blunt resistance to cosmetic waveform shaping to satisfy some marketing-Platonic ideal of signal processing that corresponds to nothing material in the (psycho-)physical world.

* In theory, phase matters too, but experimental evidence about hearing that I've read (not handy at the moment so I can't double check) suggests that phase matters only at much lower frequencies than are involved in this glitch.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #5,479 of 12,381
Hopefully this is not the usual "we in Schiit do not believe in I2S for external communication". When listening to the relatively cheap brand Audiobyte with I2S input, you can hear a clear improvement compared to AES/EBU. The same goes for MSB and Rockna. If you ever consider this; look at Audiobyte/Rockna's approach on this - using a standard HDMI cable.
Such judgement before the fact may imply you do not follow my thread. I still struggle with the notion that even though God frequently visits me to tell me how to build perfect D/A converters - gasp, there are people who do not like them. Jason has taken away all of my sharp objects, and I am under intense counseling. Further, there are rumors I have been seen as a degenerate self-medicating with alcohol in a poisonous display of masculinity.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #5,480 of 12,381
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for some time, trying to gain some knowledge of the Yggdrasil. Finally, on July 12, I placed my order with Schiit at a time when the web site status read: "In stock, orders placed now ship in 5-7 business days." Alas, those days have come and gone and now the site reads: "Out of stock. Orders placed now shipping the week of August 11th."

As of Friday August 4, I was advised by email: "...we will not be able to produce any more Yggdrasils until we receive more boards in. We are currently experiencing a part/board shortage that has halted production."

I guess my inquiry is: Are there others on this thread waiting for delivery and what have you been told?
What has been the experience of those here with delivery of the Yggy, after placing an order?
Who thinks they can claim the longest wait time, for order til delivery?

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #5,481 of 12,381
^ Be patient. It's worth the wait :wink:

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #5,482 of 12,381
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for some time, trying to gain some knowledge of the Yggdrasil. Finally, on July 12, I placed my order with Schiit at a time when the web site status read: "In stock, orders placed now ship in 5-7 business days." Alas, those days have come and gone and now the site reads: "Out of stock. Orders placed now shipping the week of August 11th."

As of Friday August 4, I was advised by email: "...we will not be able to produce any more Yggdrasils until we receive more boards in. We are currently experiencing a part/board shortage that has halted production."

I guess my inquiry is: Are there others on this thread waiting for delivery and what have you been told?
What has been the experience of those here with delivery of the Yggy, after placing an order?
Who thinks they can claim the longest wait time, for order til delivery?

I would suspect that the timing on your order coincided with the announcement of the Gen 5 USB board. It most likely pushed people over the edge who were on the fence in ordering one of these, and the surge consumed all the current part inventory.

As an owner for over a year, I can say you will be rewarded for your patience since your unit will be running the new USB board. I think mine took about 4 weeks to get. And yes, it was worth it.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #5,483 of 12,381
Or, if you are as impatient (or insecure) as I was, drive up to Schiitr and demand that they sell you the Yggdrasil there :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #5,484 of 12,381
Such judgement before the fact may imply you do not follow my thread. I still struggle with the notion that even though God frequently visits me to tell me how to build perfect D/A converters - gasp, there are people who do not like them. Jason has taken away all of my sharp objects, and I am under intense counseling. Further, there are rumors I have been seen as a degenerate self-medicating with alcohol in a poisonous display of masculinity.
I'm sorry for my judgement; I love your dac's :) Where can I find your thread?

Edit:
I'm part of the human race; I want it all and I want it now (quote from Queen).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #5,486 of 12,381
Finally, on July 12, I placed my order with Schiit at a time when the web site status read: "In stock, orders placed now ship in 5-7 business days." Alas, those days have come and gone and now the site reads: "Out of stock. Orders placed now shipping the week of August 11th."

This is fairly normal. I have seen this sort of thing happen quite a number of times. They're not always on top of updating the stock status of product on their website. I'm not saying they ought to be doing this or that, but it's the truth. It's a bit of a blind spot, and I for one don't think you're being impatient. For what it's worth, I think you made a perfectly reasonable inquiry, irrespective of the fact that the DAC will indeed be worth the wait.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #5,487 of 12,381
This is fairly normal. I have seen this sort of thing happen quite a number of times. They're not always on top of updating the stock status of product on their website. I'm not saying they ought to be doing this or that, but it's the truth. It's a bit of a blind spot, and I for one don't think you're being impatient. For what it's worth, I think you made a perfectly reasonable inquiry, irrespective of the fact that the DAC will indeed be worth the wait.
It is worth the wait!

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,488 of 12,381
When I read about a user upgrade I thought they were joking as before Schiit said they would not do that for obvious reasons mainly legal on their part but now they have changed thier minds it seems. I have no problems using USB from my MacBook Pro but might have to do the upgrade as it is getting old and have bought a Windows that might have to take it's place for now if it gives up the ghost. So saving $50 plus the shipping on sending it to them seems good but kinda like the idea of new 2 year warranty if I'm reading right. I have no problem with the upgrade as I've built many computers and have changed hard drives , ram , optical drives and even video cards in laptops so I don't think this would be a problem just the added warranty has me thinking.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #5,489 of 12,381
Anyone planning to do the Gen 5 upgrade themselves know how to take Yggy apart... and put it back together... without destroying or mangling it?

The $100 is a no brainer for me, as is the electrical portion... it's the disassembly I'm worried about.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #5,490 of 12,381
Anyone planning to do the Gen 5 upgrade themselves know how to take Yggy apart... and put it back together... without destroying or mangling it?

The $100 is a no brainer for me, as is the electrical portion... it's the disassembly I'm worried about.
Elsewhere there is a new write up (with pictures and circles and arrows) that covers this.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back