Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #5,431 of 12,358
I appreciate what Schiit did with the gen-5 USB: they fixed the problem of source isolation. Similarly, lets see them 'fix' the problem of D/A conversion. Reduce SNR and noise floor to the extreme technical limit that is possible. Chord (Rob Watts) has shown our ear/brain is crazy sensitive ..beyond measurable. Musicality, staging and perceived depth explode with better specs. Either believe this or ignore it and assume Yggy is 'good enuf'.

A DAVE is 4x the Yggy price because Chord knows it's hard to engineer at such a high level ...not because their build cost is 4x.

And digital volume control is everywhere now. High precision, zero loss. If the digital bits inside Yggy support this, it should be added.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #5,432 of 12,358
I appreciate what Schiit did with the genV USB: they fixed the problem of source isolation. Similarly, lets see them 'fix' the problem of D/A conversion. Reduce SNR and noise floor to the extreme technical limit that is possible. Chord (Rob Watts) has shown our ear/brain is crazy sensitive ..beyond measurable. Musicality, staging and perceived depth explodes with better specs. Either believe this or ignore it and assume Yggy is 'good enuf'.

A DAVE is 4x the Yggy price because Chord knows it's hard to engineer at such a high level ...not because their build cost is 4x.

And digital volume control is everywhere now. High precision, zero loss. If the digital bits inside Yggy support this, it should be added.

There are a lot of people out there that think Yggdrasil is every bit as great sounding as the Chord Dave. Hell, I like the Mimby better than the Hugo! Schiit doesn't need to react to Chord....

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #5,433 of 12,358
Got my Yggy USB gen 5 hooked back up, going through warm up again...

20170802_231629.jpg

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #5,434 of 12,358
You can't listen to music using a DAC only. Right? You need an amplifier. Right? Amplifiers have volume controls. Right? Why do you need another one? If it can be done it doesn't mean it should be done. So many things can be done to a DAC. DACs are supposed to output a constant VRMS signal that is casually called "line out" on sound cards.

If you are comparing it to the Chord Dave then the Chord Dave is a DAC and an amplifier in one.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #5,436 of 12,358
I appreciate what Schiit did with the gen-5 USB: they fixed the problem of source isolation. Similarly, lets see them 'fix' the problem of D/A conversion. Reduce SNR and noise floor to the extreme technical limit that is possible. Chord (Rob Watts) has shown our ear/brain is crazy sensitive ..beyond measurable. Musicality, staging and perceived depth explode with better specs. Either believe this or ignore it and assume Yggy is 'good enuf'.

I can't help myself…

Why should Schiit want to do these things?
Why should they spend the time and money, which would raise the price of the Jggy, just for these 2 specs, which are already excellent in the first place?

Just to compete with a a rival at 5x the price?
And only to show lower numbers on a spec sheet?

Why?

Hint, it isn't the specs that deliver this explosion of "Musicality, staging and perceived depth" but the design itself.
The specs are a result, not a a cause, of the design.

Can you actually hear these differences?
Can you actually tell if the SNR noise floor drops from 117dB to 140+dB?

If so then buy a Chord with the lowest numbers on a spec sheet and be happy.
And experience that explosion of "Musicality, staging and perceived depth" that you say the specs deliver.

Me?
I'll just have to suffer with a less than 'perfect' set of specs, that I can't (and I would submit that no one else can either) hear in the first place.
And I personally don't need to have the noise floor 20+dB below audibility, nor do I want to have to pay for that 'privilege'.

But then I don't listen to specs, I listen to music, which is a whole nuther matter entirely.

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #5,437 of 12,358
Did this Chord Dave lover got lost wandering into a Yggdrasil impression thread? Someone please be kind enough to show him where the Chord Dave thread is.

Meanwhile I want to share a photo of my 'humble' setup that sounds out of this world.... on a modified HD650 in balance mode. The best part is I'm listening to music and not to specs.

20170801_183954.jpg

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #5,438 of 12,358
I think USB Gen 5 from Schiit is a big step in the right direction. I will however not replace my AudioByte Hydra-Z/ZPM. Since I'm fairly sure Yggdrasil is better via AES/EBU still (I have not tested). I will add the USB Gen 5 to my Yggdrasils (have two of them) when something else is updated (more updates will come).

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #5,440 of 12,358
I can't help myself…

But then I don't listen to specs, I listen to music, which is a whole nuther matter entirely.
Agree 100%

Me personally I would go for MSB DAC V/Reference DAC as an alternative to Yggdrasil (which is a clear indication; the Yggdrasil is great; not only by specification - but by sound). Dave is of no interest to me actually. Yggdrasil is the best below 10.000 USD in my opinion - other alternatives exists, but the prices are insane.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,441 of 12,358
To be fair I think our "Chord lover" may be a Yggy lover too.

That said, we have learned from Jason's and Mike's very open disclosures that engineering is a road of many choices and compromises.

Rob Watts has his views about which matter, and made his choices.
Mike similarly has his views and made his choices likewise at the price-point Schiit chose.

There is no absolute demonstration I'm aware of that shows Rob has it right and Mike wrong. There are no absolutes in music listening!

@johnjen - I could not have said it better

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #5,442 of 12,358
I have 3 setups ... only one has been upgraded with Schiit's new USB implementation

I'm wondering if I should upgrade my other Schiit DAC's to the GEN 5 boards yet?

I mean it can't be that much better?

Adding the Eitr to one setup was a big step up coming from a Wyrd

PC setup for speakers
Eitr
Modi Multibit
Magni 2 Uber
Pair of JBL SR305
JBL LSR301S Subwoofer

PC setup for headphones
Uptone ISO REGEN - powered by Uptone LPS-1
Uptone USPCB adapter
Singxer SU-1 - modified to use DC powered by another Uptone LPS-1
AES/EBU
Yggdrasil
Mjolnir 2

Living Room/Home Theater
Mojo Audio's modified Mac Mini with Linear Power supply
Wyred 4 Sound Recovery - powered by ifi iPower
Uptone USPCB adapter
Diyinhk Pro3z - powered by ifi iPower
Coaxial RCA SPDIF
Gungnir Multibit
Denon AVR-2809CI

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #5,443 of 12,358
Thanks, @Argo Duck for coming to my defense. My post was a plea to garner support for Mike M. to 'upgrade' the Yggy ...which he has plainly stated that he never would. I thought (maybe) that the Gen5 USB update to Yggy was a crack in his armor ...that things can always be revisited to make them better. However, it seems, the majority are in favor of the Yggy status quo ...dont fix if it aint broke - and this probably makes most business sense. I guess we'll have to wait until the Analog Devices AD5791 goes end-of-life to see a design change/update. Until then, take care everyone.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #5,444 of 12,358
It depends what you mean by "upgrade". The specs for Yggdrasil claim: "Upgradability: Fully modular architecture. Separate digital input board, USB input board, DSP engine board, and DAC/analog output boards." The USB board is one of the items here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back