Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 23, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4,921 of 12,483
Apr 23, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,922 of 12,483
So I finally got my Schiit gear last night to use with a USB connection to my computers, and today I read that the USB connection sucks?
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Would something like the Trends UD 10.1 USB Audio Converter make since? Basically it can convert USB to AES.
I have no experience with AES so I'm curious if converting USB to AES will make any difference compared to a direct AES connection.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,923 of 12,483
  "Galvanic isolation" is a marketing term, not a technically accurate description for anything (see @Baldr on this topic on earlier threads). The problem with having a USB receiver inside a sensitive DAC is that the receiver is a complex digital circuit, and complex digital circuits are electrically too noisy to be in close proximity of the DAC proper. This can be addressed with expensive design countermeasures, but then the cost is likely to be higher than a decent DDC. Unless @Baldr surprises us yet again.

@earnmyturns Thanks for your follow up.  This would explain why Berkeley doesn't even include USB input on their DACs.  I'm not a engineer but, is the Berkeley solution a DDC? If so, can we expect the Shiit product to be more affordable but, share a similar design and performance goal? Similar to the Berkeley product?

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #4,924 of 12,483
  So I finally got my Schiit gear last night to use with a USB connection to my computers, and today I read that the USB connection sucks?

the USB connection doesn't totally suck. it has limitations and is susceptible to electronic noise. some people are using USB with no issues what so ever. others who are looking to squeeze the last bit of performance out of their audio chain go to great lengths and expense in that quest.

my advice... listen to what you have. listen for a while. decide for yourself if what you are hearing is pleasant to your ears.

if yes... then you are all set enjoy a very potent audio processing duo
if no... break out your wallet and hold on tight

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,925 of 12,483
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

I think saying that it sucks would be an exaggeration, but there are loads of people reporting that they achieve better results with things like Mutec and Singxher convertors and Lynx PCI-E cards.
I'm probably going to go down that road at some point, just to experiment, but all of my mains sockets are taken right now. :p
Nice looking setup you have by the way!

Also, I finally pulled the trigger on a used Yggy, and I can't wait to try it when it arrives next week.
I've been eyeing this thing for months now, and I'm absolutely ecstatic.
Having said that, I feel like the W4S DAC 1 LE is still a fantastic device that never let me down.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #4,926 of 12,483

I think saying that it sucks would be an exaggeration, but there are loads of people reporting that they achieve better results with things like Mutec and Singxher convertors and Lynx PCI-E cards.
I'm probably going to go down that road at some point, just to experiment, but all of my mains sockets are taken right now. :p
Nice looking setup you have by the way!

Also, I finally pulled the trigger on a used Yggy, and I can't wait to try it when it arrives next week.
I've been eyeing this thing for months now, and I'm absolutely ecstatic.
Having said that, I feel like the W4S DAC 1 LE is still a fantastic device that never let me down.

For me, a good single malt scotch has the same effect. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #4,927 of 12,483
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Would something like the Trends UD 10.1 USB Audio Converter make since? Basically it can convert USB to AES.
I have no experience with AES so I'm curious if converting USB to AES will make any difference compared to a direct AES connection.

USB can range from sucky to just slightly below the best depending on source, DAC, and how revealing the rest of the system is. But even with a nice source like the microRendu+LPS-1 I have, I just found out it I (and more objectively, my wife, who did not know what I had changed) can hear specific differences between USB and AES into our Yggy-based speaker system: instruments pop out with even more detail from a very "black" background, or, as my wife said, there's total silence "behind" the music. There are a multitude of DDCs around, all based on similar XMOS processors surrounded by custom circuitry, ASICs, and power supplies. I have no idea about that one. I can vouch for the Singxer SU-1 I got because of the clear improvement we've heard. A reliable source reports that the Breeze Audio DU-U8 may achieve comparable gains to the SU-1 as a DDC for Schiit multibit DACs at a much lower cost (~$100 vs ~$400).
  @earnmyturns Thanks for your follow up.  This would explain why Berkeley doesn't even include USB input on their DACs.  I'm not a engineer but, is the Berkeley solution a DDC? If so, can we expect the Shiit product to be more affordable but, share a similar design and performance goal? Similar to the Berkeley product?

That Berkeley Audio Alpha USB is waaaay too pricey for my blood, it seems to me a case of "what the audiophile market will bear" rather than "reasonable profit over cost of goods." The SU-1 has a very good reputation and is 4x cheaper, and the DU-U8 I mentioned above is again 4x cheaper. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #4,928 of 12,483
The USB far from "sucks" on the Yiggy. I just use an Itona and it is damn close to the CD transport.The Uptone /Regen I had did nothing for the Yiggy alone even with LPS. I had 2 of them, but not at the same time with the Itona. People are saying you need both. Uptone Audio is supposed to be coming out with a new one a regen and galvanic isolation. Aint' going there.
As I said  I'm sick of all this crap , boxes and PS etc. But that's me.
wink_face.gif

I only use USB for streaming anyway the streaming music is as varied as the CD quality.
I like what I hear and have now.
I don't use or will I ever use Tidal!

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #4,930 of 12,483
  Aw crap!  I just spent $1100 on a Wireworld USB!  Any informed opinions as to what AES works well/ the best with the Yggy?

Wow! For that you can get a Focusrite RedNet RN3 ethernet to AES converter which will pretty much stomp USB. You will still need an AES cable but they are not expensive.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,931 of 12,483
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Wow...that Black Yggy sure looks sweet...I'm totally jealous!   The Yggy is the only Silver piece in my otherwise all Black gear!
redface.gif

The silver look, like was said in a Yggy review, reminds me of the round-y looking "Airstream" Trailers.....Black ...not so much...

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,932 of 12,483
I have found the Singxer F-1 DDC to be a great addition to my computer to Yggdrasil chain. The output from the Singxer F-1 is SPDIF coax, but that seems to work much better than USB. The Singxer seems to deal with the USB crap better than Yggdrasil and feeds a clean well clocked SPDIF signal to Yggdrasil. To isolate the computer systems side of the chain from the audio systems side of the chain even more, I will be inserting a UpTone Audio ISO Regen (using an UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply) between the computer and Singxer F-1. I will plug the ISO Regen into the Singxer using an UpTone Audio USPCB connector. This is a USB to USB printed circuit board that passes a near perfect USB signal through unlike a USB cable. This setup will provide the Singxer F-1 with a near perfect USB signal and very clean DC power.

I may try a DDC that has an AES/EBU output someday. I want to see what The Schiit Audio Eitr is before I make any more decisions.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #4,933 of 12,483
  I have found the Singxer F-1 DDC to be a great addition to my computer to Yggdrasil chain. The output from the Singxer F-1 is SPDIF coax, but that seems to work much better than USB. The Singxer seems to deal with the USB crap better than Yggdrasil and feeds a clean well clocked SPDIF signal to Yggdrasil. To isolate the computer systems side of the chain from the audio systems side of the chain even more, I will be inserting a UpTone Audio ISO Regen (using an UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply) between the computer and Singxer F-1. I will plug the ISO Regen into the Singxer using an UpTone Audio USPCB connector. This is a USB to USB printed circuit board that passes a near perfect USB signal through unlike a USB cable. This setup will provide the Singxer F-1 with a near perfect USB signal and very clean DC power.

I may try a DDC that has an AES/EBU output someday. I want to see what The Schiit Audio Eitr is before I make any more decisions.

FWIW, I have a Mutec 3+ USB D2D converter made in Germany.  Although I can't comment on comparisons against any but the W4S Remedies, two of which it replaced between my player and DAC. It  handily trounced the series connected Remedies.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #4,934 of 12,483
  FWIW, I have a Mutec 3+ USB D2D converter made in Germany.  Although I can't comment on comparisons against any but the W4S Remedies, two of which it replaced between my player and DAC. It  handily trounced the series connected remedies.

The Mutec 3+ USB DDC is certainly on my radar. The price is a little bit of an issue though. I don't know that it is so much better than the Singxer SU-1 to justify the 2.5X cost. I would probably buy used if I went that route.

Have you tried the Singxer SU-1?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #4,935 of 12,483

The Mutec 3+ USB DDC is certainly on my radar. The price is a little bit of an issue though. I don't know that it is so much better than the Singxer SU-1 to justify the 2.5X cost. I would probably buy used if I went that route.

Have you tried the Singxer SU-1?

No, no SU-1 audition.  Of course, once I spent a $1000 on the Mutec, I had very little interest in trying other D2D converters....  One thing I do know is that Mutec's last firmware update made an amazing improvement!  And although I'm not a measurement guy, the Mutec's specs are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back