Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 22, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,891 of 12,304
  I have a question about how the Yggy handles USB. When there is no powered USB source going into the USB socket, is the hardware that decodes USB audio into internal PCM format off? If it is off, could the sonic improvements claimed for other sources be due to the fact that all that digital circuitry is not busy creating switching noise? Inquiring minds and all that...

Fernando,

I find it odd that when my MAC Mini is not playing it still lights up the Resolution lights on the Yggy...how could that be?  I dunno...but I bet Mike does...

That is with my USB input that I'm trying to move away from and go AES that Mike said was the best input for the Yggy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #4,893 of 12,304
Is anyone elses Yggy source button really loose and wobbly? Anyway I can fix it myself?

I think that they are all that way. On my Yggy and even on my Modi Multi-bit. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #4,895 of 12,304

I think that they are all that way. On my Yggy and even on my Modi Multi-bit. 

I agree mine feels the same way....I wish it felt more Positive when you push it instead of wobbly (read: cheap)....
blink.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4,896 of 12,304
Is anyone elses Yggy source button really loose and wobbly? Anyway I can fix it myself?

Define "loose and wobbly". Mine has about .5mm of play side to side and the button rocks a very small amount. The phase invert button has about half the amount side to side play and rocking. I recall that the buttons are captured and not actually attached to anything so the amount of play and rocking will depend on how close the board with the switches is to the inside of the DAC face.

On my Yggdrasil, the button "fit" is fine and the button action is not offensive.

My Modi Multibit is much worse.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,898 of 12,304
Schiit is currently offering the Yggy in black. I ordered mine about a week ago, and silver was as usual, the only option. Anyway, They contacted me yesterday asking if i would accept a black one it would ship Monday. I said "heck yeah!", since i would prefer black anyway. Lucky timing on my part! I just checked and black is available (US PLUG and power only). I wonder why they randomly offer it in black? Anyway, thought i would share....

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,899 of 12,304
Schiit is currently offering the Yggy in black. I ordered mine about a week ago, and silver was as usual, the only option. Anyway, They contacted me yesterday asking if i would accept a black one it would ship Monday. I said "heck yeah!", since i would prefer black anyway. Lucky timing on my part! I just checked and black is available (US PLUG and power only). I wonder why they randomly offer it in black? Anyway, thought i would share....

Congrats, I wish mine was black! Yggy is a pretty ugly box next to a BHSE, and black would help it blend in with my shelving.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #4,901 of 12,304
That would be jitter, which Mike has cleverly diverted away from the digital inputs into the selector which acts as a mechanical sink :p

Seriously though, mine might be a little wobbly but I never thought of it as a problem...maybe some are better than others :confused:

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #4,902 of 12,304
Mine is definitely not offensive ....just does not feel premium when you push it....but I do like the mechanical sink.....
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #4,903 of 12,304
Oh noes, there I go again down the gear rabbit hole! I mentioned earlier that I got a Singxer SU-1 DDC for a different purpose, but since the other purpose is delayed, I tried it between my living room's microRendu USB output and the Yggy's AES input. I didn't think it would do much if anything, after all the microRendu with an ultracap PS is pretty quiet, but I was wrong. These cats -- Tomasz Stanko: trumpet, David Virelles: piano, Reuben Rogers: double bass, Gerald Cleaver: drums -- that I heard live not so long ago, are right in my living room now in "December Avenue," their latest release on ECM. I had heard it several times before via USB, and it was very good, but there's now even more of the actual instrument sound and even less of everything else. It's a common trope, but it's as if the instruments pop out from a totally silent background. When @Baldr says AES is better for the Yggy, he means it.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,904 of 12,304
I agree that AES is superior, AND, bypassing USB altogether, along with any flavor of enhancement, is also a big step up.
At least that has been my experience.

Perhaps the Schiit Eitr will prove this assertion wrong, but until we get ears on one, all opinions will just remain as speculation.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back