Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4,051 of 12,304
Do to a ghost in my one headphone rig, I hooked my Liquid Gold to my Yggdrasil, using S.E RCA and just amazed how much better the music sounds through the Yggdrasil. I have my Ragnarok hooked up to the yggy, using the XLR balanced connectors. I am using the Ragnarok to drive my Fritz Carbon 7 speakers. I think I will keep the yggy hooked to the Liquid Gold, it makes my Utopia and ETHER sound great. I will use the Liquid Glass and MJ2 in my other headphone rig. For that rig I use my Gungnir multibit. The MJ2 and Liquid Glass sound sublime out of the Gungnir multibit, however I am tempted to get another Yggdrasil lol...damn this wonderful addicting hobby. Laters all, still kind of fuzzy brained.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #4,052 of 12,304
Do to a ghost in my one headphone rig, I hooked my Liquid Gold to my Yggdrasil, using S.E RCA and just amazed how much better the music sounds through the Yggdrasil. I have my Ragnarok hooked up to the yggy, using the XLR balanced connectors. I am using the Ragnarok to drive my Fritz Carbon 7 speakers. I think I will keep the yggy hooked to the Liquid Gold, it makes my Utopia and ETHER sound great. I will use the Liquid Glass and MJ2 in my other headphone rig. For that rig I use my Gungnir multibit. The MJ2 and Liquid Glass sound sublime out of the Gungnir multibit, however I am tempted to get another Yggdrasil lol...damn this wonderful addicting hobby. Laters all, still kind of fuzzy brained.

Hook up that Yggy to the Glass. It sounds terrific!!

How do you like the Utopia out of the Glass vs the Gold?

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4,054 of 12,304
Hook up that Yggy to the Glass. It sounds terrific!!

How do you like the Utopia out of the Glass vs the Gold?

Hmm tough question indeed. I love how the yggy and the Glass make my Utopia sound so good, however the Yggdrasil and Gold make the Utopia sound great. The bass, mids, highs, and soundstage are just sublime, especially when driving the Utopia. However I feel I am cutting hair trying to rate which combo is better. And yes I will now connect my Glass to the Yggdrasil, and rotate the liquid crimson to the Gungnir multibit.
P.s The Gungnir and Liquid Crimson make my HE1K's sound phenomenal.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #4,055 of 12,304

Saw this at Disney's Animal Kingdom yesterday and thought of this thread. It also gave me the opportunity to tell my kids about my DAC, known as the tree of life.

They didn't care...at all.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #4,056 of 12,304

Saw this at Disney's Animal Kingdom yesterday and thought of this thread. It also gave me the opportunity to tell my kids about my DAC, known as the tree of life.

They didn't care...at all.
Kids rarely care about anything that you do they are kids . Their whole purpose in life is to make your life miserable but we love every love minute of it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4,057 of 12,304
I am contemplating an upgrade from a Mimby to a Gumby or Yggy. Most of the content I listen to is 16/44.1 FLAC, ALAC, and AAC (256 kbps). My current setup is powered monitors and headphones. But, I plan on setting up a nice 2 channel system in a room before too long. I will feeding the DAC SPDIF coax using USB from the computer to a Singxer F-1. I currently have no Regen type device.

Is Yggy absolute overkill for this and would Gumby would be a smarter choice? Or would Yggy really bring out the details in my content?

Money isn't really the issue although I don't want to an extra $1K if it makes no sense.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #4,058 of 12,304
I am contemplating an upgrade from a Mimby to a Gumby or Yggy. Most of the content I listen to is 16/44.1 FLAC, ALAC, and AAC (256 kbps). My current setup is powered monitors and headphones. But, I plan on setting up a nice 2 channel system in a room before too long. I will feeding the DAC SPDIF coax using USB from the computer to a Singxer F-1. I currently have no Regen type device.

Is Yggy absolute overkill for this and would Gumby would be a smarter choice? Or would Yggy really bring out the details in my content?

Money isn't really the issue although I don't want to an extra $1K if it makes no sense.

If you prefer things on the warmer side? Gumby. If you prefer more detail and accuracy? Yggy.

At least that's what I gather.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,059 of 12,304
If you prefer things on the warmer side? Gumby. If you prefer more detail and accuracy? Yggy.

At least that's what I gather.

I think I can use the tubes in my amp/pre-amp to color the sound if Yggy not so warm. Is Yggy cold or just not warm like Gumby?

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #4,060 of 12,304
The DAC should be as accurate and transparent as possible and you should be aiming at improving the chain to make it the most transparent till that point. You don't need warmth added at that point. Gives you more flexibility to change your amp/phones to go for sound that you prefer.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #4,061 of 12,304
I think I can use the tubes in my amp/pre-amp to color the sound if Yggy not so warm. Is Yggy cold or just not warm like Gumby?

Although I agree with the above, I was simply going by this:

Yes, my top setup is Mjolnir 2/Gungnir Multibit, for my sonic preferences (a bit warmer than neutral.)

I have never personally heard a Gungnir.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #4,062 of 12,304
Hence my questions. If Jason, who can use any Schiit DAC he wants to, prefers the Gumby with the Mjolnir 2 (the headphone amp I am getting), I have to wonder if the Yggy offers anything I might miss if I bought Gumby. Especially considering I am listening to mostly 16/44.1 content.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #4,063 of 12,304
  Hence my questions. If Jason, who can use any Schiit DAC he wants to, prefers the Gumby with the Mjolnir 2 (the headphone amp I am getting), I have to wonder if the Yggy offers anything I might miss if I bought Gumby. Especially considering I am listening to mostly 16/44.1 content.

If Jason prefers the Gumby that's his preference, but may not be yours.
Also, just because you listen to mostly 16/44 (which is the sample rate majority) doesn't mean that the SQ will not increase/decrease with different DACs. My library is probably 98-99% 16/44 files that sound just as good and in a lot of cases better than higher sample rates I've downloaded from HDtracks. So don't dismiss the idea you won't hear any increase in SQ with 16/44.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #4,064 of 12,304

Get an Yggy and you'll have the best. It provides the most accurate representation of music of any DAC that Schiit sells. It is musical without adding it's own coloration. Since you are considering a 2 channel system, know that a number of people on this forum have commented that Yggy shines even brighter with speakers than with headphones due to the 3-D presentation of music in space.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #4,065 of 12,304

I certainly can't advise anyone else what to buy, but for me, the big $ spent on Yggy in 2015 was BECAUSE I listen to 99% 16/44. Yggy is a master of wringing staggering amounts of "real" detail from Redbook files.

...and as Jozurr mentioned, you can season to taste with downstream components. There are headphones for every taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back