Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 13, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #3,286 of 12,283
I thought it was the SAGE* light...

*Schiit Ain't Good Enough 

biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #3,287 of 12,283
If you have the money buy a Yggy you won't be disappointed.

I plan to but not until tax returns if then.

Gonna get the $250 multibit if my pwd mkii is too costly to fix.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,289 of 12,283
I'll be picking up my Yggy and Jotunheim from FedEx after work today!! I'm really interested in hearing how the sound will change over time as the Yggy fully warms up. 

And on top of the new toys, I also modded my HD650 by dampening the baffles last night. Very nice improvement that really tightens up the bass. Not sure if I'll do any foam removal mods yet. Fun times ahead!!

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3,290 of 12,283
  I'll be picking up my Yggy and Jotunheim from FedEx after work today!! I'm really interested in hearing how the sound will change over time as the Yggy fully warms up. 

And on top of the new toys, I also modded my HD650 by dampening the baffles last night. Very nice improvement that really tightens up the bass. Not sure if I'll do any foam removal mods yet. Fun times ahead!!

Get ready to Schiit yourself...

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,291 of 12,283

today is going to take forever for you lol. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3,293 of 12,283
I got my Singxer SU-1 today. 
Feeding the Yggy with aes/ebu digital output. 

It's a massive upgrade (over usb), and I don't use that word lightly. 

Just to clarify it is not your yggy fault,
as most USB implementation near a Dac can be a variable, and as such, a compromise.

So entering the system through spdif or Optical or AES are "More likely" to be inherently better,
or less problematic Solutions.
Since we can never fully get away from the USB issues of Jitter / noise / interference or whatever else..
Not saying USB is bad, as the Gen 3 is at the top.
Just saying there is always better..

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #3,294 of 12,283
VCX/VCXO . Middle LED in the right side.
From the downloadable users manual at their website:-

Hey, the “buy better gear” light came on. What does that mean?
if it can use VCXO reclocking,
which requires a precise center frequency and reasonably low jitter.

So if you already going through the VCXO reclocking, how would sending a stream with less jitter be any noticeable improvement in SQ?

Spending $550 to find out is a bit costly experiment.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3,295 of 12,283
Spent the last few days messing with my new Yggy. Observations:

1. Sound improvement with warm up is real and substantial. I was inclined to dismiss this as BS, but damn.

2. USB implementation is outstanding. I have an Audiophilleo 1 with purepower, which has rendered a noticeable improvement on every DAC I have ever tried with it. Not the Yggy. I can tell no difference between the Yggy USB input and the Audiophilleo supplying SPDIF to the Yggy.

3. I am using an Adcom GFP-750 and the Yggy does not seem to like passive preamps. It sounds like crud in passive move, but it sounds fantastic in active mode. Interesting because all my other DACs don't seem to care which mode the preamp is in.

I am using a Bryston 3BSST power amp and Yamaha NS-1000 speakers.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #3,296 of 12,283
If the steam coming in so bad like from airport express it cannot send it to the burrito filter it goes to a lower grade filter. There is a Schiit yaggy impression forum on here that will go into the finer details.

It is the last DAC I will buy as along as it lasts.

Just to be clear, the data always goes to the burrito filter. Depending on the quality of the stream it gets reclocked one of two ways, but after it's reclocked then it always goes to the filter.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,297 of 12,283
Just to be clear, the data always goes to the burrito filter. Depending on the quality of the stream it gets reclocked one of two ways, but after it's reclocked then it always goes to the filter.

I did not realize that. So does an even better stream with less jitter fro. Sonos with the mod help yggy make even more beautiful music?

Or another way to ask this. Why can't the yggy clean up the jitter completely coming from the Sonos?

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,298 of 12,283
I did not realize that. So does an even better stream with less jitter fro. Sonos with the mod help yggy make even more beautiful music?

Or another way to ask this. Why can't the yggy clean up the jitter completely coming from the Sonos?

It can't clean up the jitter completely, but if the source cannot lock to the VCXO then it'll at least lock to the VCO, which will provide a pretty good master clock. Not nearly as precise as the extremely narrow VCXO, but at least it is locking to something (the VCO). That'll give it a good clock compared to many DAC clocking architectures. But completely removing the jitter would be very difficult if not nearly impossible - the DAC is built for receiving inputs from many, many sources, and not just one type of one frequency. You can't configure it to perfectly lock on to every device with the VCXO and yet still the VCO is going to have a bit of jitter still depending on the source. That is unavoidable. Again, what it does is locks it to the VCO in the worst-case scenario, which is a lot better than having it not lock at all to the VCXO if it didn't have the Adapticlock routing mechanism.

There are always a range of tolerances even with the VCXO, albeit being extremely narrow (you can do better than VCXO's technically but it becomes unrealistic for a DAC for audio for the most part)....so you can get an extremely precise lock especially if you know what the [expected] bandwidth is, which you can for an audio DAC (this would be part of the VCO/VCXO design as part of the DSP). 

And yes, only after the clock is locked either to the VCXO/VCO will the filtering take place. That is part of what keeps it "bit-perfect" through into the digital FIR filter. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #3,299 of 12,283
I've had my Yggy for a month, and I'm loving it. I sold a terrific Antelope Audio Gold to make room for the Yggy, and I haven't stopped listening to my system since the Yggy was installed. Frankly, I've gone from 95% CDs and SACDs to 85% streaming content, 10% AIFF files and 5% CDs.

Streaming content sounds so good that I don't bother with other sources...and the Yggy has been the game changer.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #3,300 of 12,283
  I've had my Yggy for a month, and I'm loving it. I sold a terrific Antelope Audio Gold to make room for the Yggy, and I haven't stopped listening to my system since the Yggy was installed. Frankly, I've gone from 95% CDs and SACDs to 85% streaming content, 10% AIFF files and 5% CDs.

Steaming content sounds so good that I don't bother with other sources...and the Yggy has been the game changer.

Couldn't agree more. Yggy just makes those lossy Spotify files sound much much better than compared to high rez files that is played on a less capable DSD DACs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back