Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #2,266 of 12,319
The interface is already fast enough to just transfer the whole source file to the DAC in the same fashion as a file to a hard drive. No timing or data integrity concerns ... the DAC just buffers the entire source file (or large sequenced chunks of it) and then plays from its internal buffer.

Exactimundo!

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,268 of 12,319
In what way was the Dave's sound better than the Yggdrasil's ?   I am researching various dac options now so this is of particular interest.
Also in relation to this what are the characteristics of your set up other than dac ? Is it solid state or tube ? Ultra revealing and detailed or "musical" ?

Perhaps you could link to your comments in the Dave thread.

The link to my impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/2265#post_12455878

That and various pre and post posts describes my setup and background to the comparison (the advanced Search function is your friend). I'd class my system as both revealing and musical, but there are so many opinions on the internet. Some reckon the BHSE/009 combination is too bright. Many don't and I'm in the latter camp, but its transparency will show up any problems elsewhere. 
There were various follow up comments, some of them not pretty because my findings didn't always match the strong consensus up to that point, but I always tell it how I hear it.

I thought DAVE had a very similar neutral sound signature to Yggy, just a bit better at things Yggy is good at. However, on SQ alone this couldn't possibly justify a huge 4x price increase, but like I said it was about the whole package, and I allowed for the consensus that DAVE will keep on improving over several weeks/months, just as my Yggy has done.  

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,270 of 12,319
Dunno, as I'm on my travels, but judging by my HD600's connected directly into my laptop, I simply wouldn't play this track on headphones because of the severe stereo separation - I'd find it too uncomfortable without some form of cross-feed in place. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #2,273 of 12,319
Is it true that R2R Dacs have a particular problem dealing with very small signals and add distortion to such signals ?

If this is true will it affect overall SQ ? Has such an "issue" been dealt with in the Yggdrasil ?

Something i read and not based on any understanding i have of R2R dacs.

Since it is almost impossible to audition the Yggdrasil where i live (or any dac for that matter) i kind of have to buy based on impressions but also technical specs. (which i largely don't understand and defer to others as to whether they actually matter)

Cheers

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #2,274 of 12,319
No idea if that's true, but that distortion you're dealing with is 200x less than the distortion you get with transducers. IMO, schiit multibits (bifrost, gungnir and yggy) are tuned to sound very slightly warmer on neutral side while being incredibly analytical/resolving and without a hint of harshness (that's why schiit R2R's are known to sound like "analog" but only after long internal temperature equilibrium), and the yggy can match or get really close to the resolving and imaging capability of the $11K USD Chord DAVE. I bet you won't be disappointed with the sound quality unless you prefer the exaggerated detail presentation of most delta sigma DACs.

If you need a in-depth THD+N, Freq response, sine/square wave measurements of Yggy, google/bing/yahoo is your friend.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #2,275 of 12,319
  Is it true that R2R Dacs have a particular problem dealing with very small signals and add distortion to such signals ?

If this is true will it affect overall SQ ? Has such an "issue" been dealt with in the Yggdrasil ?

Something i read and not based on any understanding i have of R2R dacs.

Since it is almost impossible to audition the Yggdrasil where i live (or any dac for that matter) i kind of have to buy based on impressions but also technical specs. (which i largely don't understand and defer to others as to whether they actually matter)

Cheers

Yes, in theory ...

Would not worry about it in practice.

I use replaygain to calculate the average level and put in into a tag on the track. This applies an offset relative to -23dbFS as a hint to the playback software. This is metadata the stream is not changed in any way.
Here are 2 examples on either end of the scale, one pop rock album and another live Jazz recording from 1962.

This is highly compressed, average level is 23-17.33 = 5.67dB on average below full scale.

Applying a music crest factor of 30dB, the lowest expected value is 35.7dB below full scale.

This is a live recording with a decent dynamic range
Average volume level is 23-7.9 = 15dB below fullscale, lowest note is about 45db below full scale.

Here is some discussion of the music crest factor
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/tech_tip_of_the_day_the_crest_factor_in_mastering1

A 24bit DAC has a dynamic range of 144dB, in practice this is 117dB on the Yggy, so the lowest note is at -117dBFS before noise etc becomes detectable.

In my music collection at least, I do not expect it to come close to that.

Suggest you check out your music collection to see how the average levels in your collection pans put.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,276 of 12,319
Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah i am sure that for all practical purposes it is nothing to worry about based on your replies but since i didn't know i thought to ask.

I have been considering Yggdrasil for a while but keep wondering how much better if at all i can get by spending more money.
Don't really have a budget constraint but i also like to feel that there is value in what i am buying.

Local audio buffs keep banging on about the PS Audio Direct Stream. I have heard it once on an early firmware and it didn't impress me much,
There was something not right about the upper mids/lower treble. 
Does anyone have a comparison between Yggdrasil and the Direct Stream with latest firmware.

I will be using whatever DAC i end up with in a very revealing speaker set up.

Thanks again.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2,279 of 12,319
^ Do you mean USB3 or USB gen 3? If the latter why not use advanced search or google to see what Mike or Jason have said about it.

Surely hard to tell in a listening test. Yggy, GMB and BMB have many other differences between them so how would you know what to attribute to gen 2 versus 3?!

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #2,280 of 12,319
Surely hard to tell in a listening test. Yggy, GMB and BMB have many other differences between them so how would you know what to attribute to gen 2 versus 3?!

Use a separate DDC via coax to quantify the difference in the DAC section and then test the USB inputs? Doesn't seem that hard, particularly if you have friends with vintage DACs and nice USB transports.

Edit: Personally, I've noticed HUGE improvements in upgrading the DDC to my vintage Theta. Optical out from my MacBook Pro sounds lifeless and closed with little bass in comparison. The Gustard U12 brought better imaging, soundstage, and bass, but the current Breeze DU-U8 with upgraded clocks is so much better it's not even funny. I've never heard bass control and definition like this out of my system, and the imaging and soundstage have also improved considerably. The other nice thing about the Breeze (which I haven't even taken advantage of yet) is that it does not require power from the USB cable, so you can use a USB cable with the +5vdc line cut, which supposedly reduces the noise floor even further. Of course, you can always add an Intona (or Regen) to the mix.

I don't know how the Schiit USB Gen2 and Gen3 stack up, but my guess is that a Gumby with a nice DDC is a lot closer to a Yggy for a fair amount less money. My Breeze was $130 shipped + ~$100 in parts for the clock upgrade. So Gumby plus a Breeze is still $1k less than a Yggy. The Audio-GD DI-U8 and the DIXO Pro3a are more expensive and by all accounts sound very similar (though perhaps very slightly better).

I do plan on getting a Yggy sometime relatively soon, but I'm betting the Breeze will best the Gen3 USB so I still plan to use my Breeze. It's too bad Schiit doesn't still offer the option to leave off the USB input. I hate paying for stuff I don't need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back