Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #1,622 of 12,204
Quote:acguitar84
 They seem to be a good company and nice folks. I'm really enjoying my concero HD, but I'm getting the urge to get a Yggi. It helps knowing they are a good company making good stuff, when I think of spending 2300 bucks!

Get the YGGY.....!

Quote:Benny-x
  Damn good post. 

So, when will I join the club...

As soon as you plonk down the folding green stuff, or massage the plastic.      -    Do it NOW...!

Quote:The Trap
 It was about what the input impedance of next device in the chain, which in this case is a preamp should approximately be and how impedance matching generally as a whole works. I wasn't able to get an answer from Schiit so I had to go to the maker of the preamp to get my answers. Well, I don't have his email and it seems like an issue that's not exactly for tech nor orders to handle. I wish there was a way to communicate directly with the boss but there seems to be none. Schiit outta luck I guess.

Awwww, c'mon dude. That's like asking how long a piece of string should be.

Ask 2 experts and you get 3 different opinions.

Anyway, It all depends on the gear your YGGY will plug in to.

1. Does it have a volume control.?
2. If yes to 1, does the volume control sit right behind the input sockets and before the preamp circuitry.?
3. If yes to 1, what is is the resistance/impedance of the volume control, or does it sit further inside the circuitry?
4. If no to 1,  what is the input impedance of your preamp.?
5. If the volume control is further inside the preamp circuitry, what is the input impedance of the preamp.?
What type of cables are you using to connect between the YGGY and your amp.? If RCA, are they just normal or 75 Ohm impedance.?

Under most normal circumstances just connect them up and enjoy.

If you're anal retentive enough, the output impedance of the YGGY is 75 Ohms.
So, do your homework and find out what your input impedance of your preamp is, then get a cable made that matches these specs. OR Do your homework amd make something up yourself.   Zimple....!

As you can see, if the inquirer is unsure of their system, this could tie up the customer service for a considerable time trying to sort out what the customer wants.

There is a software programmer saying which covers this situation:-

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,623 of 12,204
It was about what the input impedance of next device in the chain, which in this case is a preamp should approximately be and how impedance matching generally as a whole works. I wasn't able to get an answer from Schiit so I had to go to the maker of the preamp to get my answers. Well, I don't have his email and it seems like an issue that's not exactly for tech nor orders to handle. I wish there was a way to communicate directly with the boss but there seems to be none. Schiit outta luck I guess.

Which effectively translates to "minding your own business/I don't wanna help". It's extremely prevalent in my country although that is a discussion for another day.

Schiit has a policy to not comment about any products made by other manufacturers, and it is not within their scope to answer general knowledge questions. I'm sorry if you expected to get a different answer from Schiit, but they gave you answers consistent with their policies and scope.  You are correct that it's not an issue for tech nor orders, nor would it be a question for Jason.  He will not comment on products made by other manufacturers, and he can't say something will work if Schiit hasn't tested it, as he could be liable (in the US) for damages if it doesn't work. 

Also, at this point (and I think you made a similar comment), Schiit is too large for us to have access to Jason directly, especially if we want him to have time to develop the next big Schiit.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,624 of 12,204
just received my yggy. 

hmm. 

is it supposed to sound bright and harsh right out of the box ? 

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,628 of 12,204

The manual suggests a few days? See page 6.

Ah icic. 

Let's let it burn baby. 

As of now, it is a details monster. Alot of treble details are getting picked up in comparison to my Hugo. 

However, the mids and bass are abit weak in comparison. I was feeling a bit disappointed that I don't get the immersive music experience previously. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,629 of 12,204

Ah icic. 

Let's let it burn baby. 

As of now, it is a details monster. Alot of treble details are getting picked up in comparison to my Hugo. 

However, the mids and bass are abit weak in comparison. I was feeling a bit disappointed that I don't get the immersive music experience previously. 

Less of a burn-in and more of a thermal stabilization:

1. 1-2 days should be quite good.
  2. 6-7 days and you're truly hearing what it is capable of.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,630 of 12,204
  Less of a burn-in and more of a thermal stabilization:

1. 1-2 days should be quite good.
  2. 6-7 days and you're truly hearing what it is capable of.

And now you're getting me REALLY excited. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,631 of 12,204
Yeah the first day didn't blow me away. By around day 3 it was much better IMO (I didn't notice a huge difference after that).

I will say that it doesn't exaggerate anything though. You hear the music as you should. A tiny bit of EQ can ramp the bass/mids/highs back up if you miss the sound. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #1,632 of 12,204
Is it OK to let it warm up a few days, then plug your ICs and digital coax int it while it is still on?

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,633 of 12,204
  Is it OK to let it warm up a few days, then plug your ICs and digital coax int it while it is still on?

Yes.
Though if you're concerned moving things around or plugging things in, turning the Yggy off for a brief moment will not cool it down.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,634 of 12,204
  Yeah the first day didn't blow me away. By around day 3 it was much better IMO (I didn't notice a huge difference after that).

I will say that it doesn't exaggerate anything though. You hear the music as you should. A tiny bit of EQ can ramp the bass/mids/highs back up if you miss the sound. 
beerchug.gif

I'm already hearing a difference after 8 hours, and its a good one ; more revealing, less harshness, bass has become more of a "thump" rather than a "thud". 

If it keeps improving like that, I don't mind :) 

Now, do I need to keep the Raggy on when burning this baby ? :p 

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,635 of 12,204
FWIW - I don't own the Yggy but own the Gumby.  I never shut off the power to the DAC.  Keep it warm all the time, then the SQ is consistent. The amp doesn't need this kind of treatment - I turn my amps off when not in use.  I believe the advice to keep the DAC powered-up also applies to the Yggy from what I've read here.  Enjoy the sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back