Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 30, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,651 of 12,283

I cannot resist this appallingly unscientific quasi-simile:  I suppose that if it takes a Strad centuries to come into its own, that it could take several days for an Yggy to do likewise.

I like it - the Strad - Yggy parallel.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,652 of 12,283
So this affords me the opportunity to ask the obvious: Did you, baldr, know before turning your creation on the first time that you would be in for a many hours wait to make a determination about your success? Were you disappointed at first? What? Inquiring minds and all that....

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,653 of 12,283
So this affords me the opportunity to ask the obvious: Did you, baldr, know before turning your creation on the first time that you would be in for a many hours wait to make a determination about your success? Were you disappointed at first? What? Inquiring minds and all that....

I am sure it is all in the Master Plan for Schiit World Domination. :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,655 of 12,283
  Hello Chaps,
So what's the verdict about 'audiophile fuses' and the Yggy? Did anyone try it? what where the results?

Thanks!

Quote:

Hello, 
This got lost in the tread, I'm still interested in some feedback/ your experience.

Thanks!

Chances are that anybody who reads this thread who had tried "audiophile fuses" would have chimed in.

Given the lack of a response, and the fact that going inside Yggy to do so would presumably void the warrantee on an expensive bit of gear, it may well be that nobody has bothered to try. The upside/downside risk may not be attractive.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,657 of 12,283
One last comment.
Don't turn it off.

Leave it on and if you really want to speed up the break in, keep music playing into it the whole time.

Many reported 7 days of continuous playing before it blossomed and showed it's full capabilities.

JJ

The Multibit Bifrost took a lot longer than 7 days.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #1,658 of 12,283
Isn't it interesting how those 'burn-in' usually flirt dangerously with the return period? :D
In one sense, yes.

But you can usually get a decent idea of where its headed and what the results will be, earlier on…
This is also the time frame where infant mortality is likely to rear it's ugly head, which is a form of the reverse argument' of sorts.

JJ :atsmile:

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #1,659 of 12,283

Hello, 
This got lost in the tread, I'm still interested in some feedback/ your experience.

Thanks!

I could tell you... DO IT, DO IT NOW!
But then that would just be from my own experience. 

Seriously, if your curious... why not try it yourself?  -  Of course you have to decide if voiding the warranty is worth it to you.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,660 of 12,283

How is it sounding now?

The first couple of days, my Yggy was on the same level as my Chord Mojo. After a week the difference was, and still is, dramatic. The bass especially being on a whole other level of resolving, having both impact and space, and this after the uncanny reproduction of vocals and instruments.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,661 of 12,283

Woah. That's painful. 

Understand your pain, I waited around 1 month too. 

At the 24th hour of the burn in, sound has opened up even more and it's expressing a slight warmth in its tone, which is different from yesterday's bright signature, therefore reducing listening fatigue. 

Let's see what tomorrow brings :) 

At the 96th hour now with non-stop music pumping into it. 

Three most salient developments to the SQ : 

1. Airiness - There is a stronger sense of space and airiness to each instrument, especially the vocals. It sounds like how the instrument would sound like in a "live" setting. 

2. Bass - Tighter and stronger with more authority.

3. Soundstage - Crazy detailing and positioning in the sound stage, as compared to the first few days. Can literally "see" a bell ringing from left to right, right to left... 

I wonder if it will continue to improve ? :D

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,662 of 12,283
My yggy arrived today :) Time to play it in

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,663 of 12,283
I'm at 120 hours now. How it's unfolding is kinda like what I expected. I figured smallish groups like jazz and country would bear some degree of refinement over my previous Modi 2. And it has. I figured it would be in the large scale stuff, especially opera, where the Yggy would distance itself. And it has. Mostly in terms of soundstage. One caveat is that since I'm using Tidal pretty much exclusively, I am listening to new, never heard before, stuff. So I am not getting much in the way of A/B comparison with "tracks I've heard a million times before" etc.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,664 of 12,283

At the 96th hour now with non-stop music pumping into it. 

Three most salient developments to the SQ : 

1. Airiness - There is a stronger sense of space and airiness to each instrument, especially the vocals. It sounds like how the instrument would sound like in a "live" setting. 

2. Bass - Tighter and stronger with more authority.

3. Soundstage - Crazy detailing and positioning in the sound stage, as compared to the first few days. Can literally "see" a bell ringing from left to right, right to left... 

I wonder if it will continue to improve ? :D

Depends on how much of that doobie you wanna smoke.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,665 of 12,283
  Depends on how much of that doobie you wanna smoke.

Oh loads of it. and i mean LOADS. 

By the way, I have a Raggy/Yggy stacked. Is it advisable to put some isolators between them so that there is some space for heat to dissipate ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back