Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,156 of 12,400
Looking forward to hearing this thing for myself.

My Yggy is currently "Out for Delivery" ... so time has basically stopped!

Can't wait to hear the thing next to the Bifrost 4490 and my Akurate DS.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,157 of 12,400
  I've had the Yggy for about 3 months now and love every moment- my personal impression is that there's no 'grey background'...but I'm listening with proper speakers etc.

One quick question, did anyone try posh power cables wit the Yggy? I'm thinking of getting a Nordost Blue Heaven - which I like and made noticeable improvement with my amps. Would it make a difference?

Thanks,

There is no grey background that I can tell .The soundstage is monstrous. Wider,deeper than any dac ive listened to .

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,158 of 12,400
I have been following this thread for a while but I don't believe I have read any comparison for those who are using the usb input (or a usb transport) between upsampling and no-upsampling with the Schiit Yggdrasil. 

As an owner of the NOS (non-oversampling) Metrum Octave MKII, I have found that no upsampling sounds better than up-sampling (with "relaxed" settings on SoX, passband at 90% and allowing aliasing). With all the other DACs upsampling (whether SoX on Foobar or the built-in one on JRiver) sound better than no-upsampling.

Did someone try it with the Schiit Yggdrasil ? If no upsampling always sounds better than with upsampling with the Schiit Yggdrasil, it would prove for those who did the test that Schiit new filter is indeed what many have been looking for. 

I am probably going to order a Schiit Yggdrasil in the coming weeks (as it seems to provide the best bang for the money right now) to listen to it for myself, but I am just curious to see if others have tested how good the filter is (it is an experiment that does not require comparisons with other DACs).

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,160 of 12,400
Impression about cosmetics: very good. When I first saw photos of the Yggy, I wasn't impressed. I wanted to believe that the cosmetics didn't matter much, but they do matter some. Then there's the WAF. 
wink_face.gif
 When it arrived, I was happy that the real-life product looked better than the photos (I've had many times where it went the other direction). I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a work of art, but it's not embarrassing, either. Listening as I type.... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,162 of 12,400
I'm thinking that my Yggy will pay for itself in 2 years or less. Sure, I'll probably buy more albums, but I'm finding how good (some of!) the Red Book recordings are. Just the money saved on chasing HD will probably pay for it self. Granted, there are still some remasters that are worth it, but fewer than I'd expected.

I'd ripped many CDs, a long time ago, at less than 1411k to save space. Now, drives are much cheaper and now putting them in at 1411k.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,164 of 12,400
  I recommend the the Yggy be fed with no up sampling whenever possible, taking full advantage of the mega combo burrito filter.  Redbook is wonderful with an Yggy, as well as native 48K sr recordings.  

My Yggy arrived just about 5 hours ago and, after a quick session in my speaker setup (I wanted to see what all the fuss was with the imaging/soundstage ... and, well ... wow!) ... and I'd have to agree ... my standard CD-rips already sound incredible.  Hard to imagine them getting better over the next few days ... that'll be impressive as hell.

Congratulations on creating such an awesome piece of kit!

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,165 of 12,400
My Yggy will be here TOMORROW!!!! Can't wait!! It will be interesting to compare it to my other multibit Gungnirs, in my 5-way active system. I will be using Yggy for the tweeters, as I feel, in my opinion, that Yggy will give me the best bang for the buck with high frequencies.

I feel, in my opinion, based on my experiences, haha, that the tweeters play an extremely important role in focus, imaging, soundstaging, and ambient cues. Bass also plays an important part, but for now my first Yggy will replace my tweeter Gumby from 1kHz to 20kHz+.

Cheers!

That sounds like an original & interesting setup? Would you care to post some details, pics, etc..?

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,166 of 12,400
That sounds like an original & interesting setup? Would you care to post some details, pics, etc..?

He posted pics in the Gungnir thread after a bunch of haters said his system didn't exist.

Also, people were asking how the MB Gungnir sounds in comparison to the Yggdrasil. I am a huge fan of the Yggy, but couldn't afford one, so went for the MB Gungnir. To my ears, it has nearly all of the magic of the Yggdrasil, presented slightly warmer... It's a superb DAC.
(1, 2, 3, 4 and all that, of course)

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,167 of 12,400
  He posted pics in the Gungnir thread after a bunch of haters said his system didn't exist.

Also, people were asking how the MB Gungnir sounds in comparison to the Yggdrasil. I am a huge fan of the Yggy, but couldn't afford one, so went for the MB Gungnir. To my ears, it has nearly all of the magic of the Yggdrasil, presented slightly warmer... It's a superb DAC.
(1, 2, 3, 4 and all that, of course)

OK, been using Yggy for the tweeters less than 24 hours now. I can definitely tell the Gungnir multibit and Yggy are of the same familial signature.

The Yggy dwarfs the Gungnir multibit in physical dimensions, but it's not even been a day and the Yggy is not knocking my socks off compared to Gumby , BUT......BUT..... there's greater transparency, inner detail, and nuance with Yggy compared to Gumby. I'm sure it will be opening up even more as it continues to burn in.  Here's a few pics of Yggy next to Gumby in my system.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,168 of 12,400
I'm enjoying some increased clarity and precision with the Yggy.

The first time I really encountered an unveiling in the audio world was when I had a loudspeaker system and went from an entry-level pre-amp to a good pre-amp. Wow, it was like a veil was lifted, to use a cliche, or like when the house windows are cleaned in the spring -- hard to believe had gotten accustomed to that thin layer of dirt. Now, the Yggy change wasn't quite that dramatic, but it's similar. And appreciated.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,169 of 12,400
I have been providing my impressions as less of impression and more of revelation so, if you have recordings that you thought were not good, play them on Yggy and chances are high that those recording were too complex for other systems but Yggy handles them really well.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #1,170 of 12,400
I’m interested in both the Gumby and Yggy. The consensus seem to be that the Yggdrasil has slightly better resolution, but reports seem to contradict each other in terms of soundstage. Can anyone verify which has the overall larger soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back