Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #12,151 of 12,285
So which is which? To me they both look the same on the inside. I just wonder if I could even tell the difference in sound between DACs. I have the BF2 right now and have a Hifiman EF600 which includes a DAC. I could not tell the difference between the two DACs running into my Singxer SA-1 headphone amp. Perhaps a very slight volume change but that's it.
The photos should be labeled, one is the OG A1 and the other is the OG A2 - explanation as to why I have both below.

I haven't heard the EF600 but I still have a BF 2, and used to have a BF 2/64, so I can talk relative to those for purposes of my preference.
- BF 2 - uses AD chips, and has a more organic and fuller/rounded sound to me than the BF 2/64.
- BF 2/64 - uses TI chips (the same chip set as in the Yggy+ LIM) and though it was a more neutral sounding DAC than the BF2, it felt a bit lean and artificial to my ear.

My preference definitely leaned towards the musicality and more organic sound of the AD chips compared to the more neutral/resolving TI chips.
And as a reminder, my ears, my system, so as always YMMV.

My experiences with the BF 2 v. 2/64 jumped me to the Yggy OG A2 which is an AD chip set on a revised Analog 2 board - I later had it outfitted with the Yggy+ chassis and it now lives in my 2-channel setup

I then took a chance with the Yggy+ GS2 as an upgrade to the DAC in my headphone setup, again the AD chips but on the OG Analog 1 board.

Much to my wife's chagrin I spent a good amount of time going back and forth with the A1 and A2 in both the 2-channel setup as well as a headphone setup.
I found the differences between the A1 and A2 to be more apparent in 2-channel, and the A2 stages wider and deeper there than the A1 did, the A2 also feels a bit more lush/warm/organic than the A1 to me.

The A1 now drives a few different headphone amps, all of which lean warm which helps to balance some of the differences I heard between the A1 and A2 when using them in headphone only rigs.

For me the AD chips fit my preferences better than the TI chips did, and that's the way I went.
BUT the a la carte MIB board is now a thing, and has piqued my interest, so I may have to revisit my TI chip evaluation again in the future.
I should probably just set my wallet on fire and back away slowly ...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #12,152 of 12,285
The photos should be labeled, one is the OG A1 and the other is the OG A2 - explanation as to why I have both below.

I haven't heard the EF600 but I still have a BF 2, and used to have a BF 2/64, so I can talk relative to those for purposes of my preference.
- BF 2 - uses AD chips, and has a more organic and fuller/rounded sound to me than the BF 2/64.
- BF 2/64 - uses TI chips (the same chip set as in the Yggy+ LIM) and though it was a more neutral sounding DAC than the BF2, it felt a bit lean and artificial to my ear.

My preference definitely leaned towards the musicality and more organic sound of the AD chips compared to the more neutral/resolving TI chips.

My experiences with the BF 2 v. 2/64 jumped me to the Yggy OG A2 which is an AD chip set on a revised Analog 2 board - I later had it outfitted with the Yggy+ chassis and it now lives in my 2-channel setup

I later took a chance with the Yggy+ GS2 as an upgrade to the DAC in my headphone setup, again the AD chips but on the OG Analog 1 board.

Much to my wife's chagrin I spent a good amount of time going back and forth with the A1 and A2 in both the 2-channel setup as well as a headphone setup.
I found the differences between the A1 and A2 to be more apparent in 2-channel, and the A2 stages wider and deeper there than the A1 did, the A2 also feels a bit more lush/warm/organic than the A1 to me.

The A1 now drives a few different headphone amps, all of which lean warm which helps to balance some of the differences I heard between the A1 and A2 when using them in headphone only rigs.

For me the AD chips fit my preferences better than the TI chips did, and that's the way I went.
BUT the a la carte MIB board is now a thing, and has piqued my interest, so I may have to revisit my TI chip evaluation again in the future.
What are the differences u hear between A1 and A2 in headphone only? And what cans were used?
thx

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #12,153 of 12,285

I then took a chance with the Yggy+ GS2 as an upgrade to the DAC in my headphone setup, again the AD chips but on the OG Analog 1 board.

Wow thanks for letting me know. I also prefer the AD chip sounds and didn’t care much for the Bifrost 2/64. My Yggy GS2 is just perfect, cheap in price but sounds great.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #12,154 of 12,285
One thing to consider about the A1 vs A2 boards is that the revized output section on the A2 boards has more current/voltage delivery capability. Apparently there was an issue using both the RCA and XLR outs simultaneously on the A1 Yggys, but not on the A2.

I don’t know if that’s still a limitation on the GS2 though.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #12,155 of 12,285
One thing to consider about the A1 vs A2 boards is that the revized output section on the A2 boards has more current/voltage delivery capability. Apparently there was an issue using both the RCA and XLR outs simultaneously on the A1 Yggys, but not on the A2.

I don’t know if that’s still a limitation on the GS2 though.
Do you recall off the top of your head what the issue sonically did with the A1 board using RCA and XLR outs simultaneously?

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #12,156 of 12,285
What are the differences u hear between A1 and A2 in headphone only? And what cans were used?
thx
Both were equally detailed, the A2 to me felt a bit fuller/rounder in both breadth and depth of presentation with more space between the instruments and the void in-between the notes felt a bit quieter/darker. This was more apparent to me in 2-channel than on headphones, but it was a similar finding.

My methods aren't "scientific" by any stretch, I'd basically leave each DAC in whichever system for a week or so and let myself just listen without thinking about anything critically. The observations were made after switching the DAC and then intently listening to music that I was familiar with. After an hour or so my brain would adjust to the new sound and everything was excellent again. Rinse, repeat, and continue to drive my wife nuts.

I do a crap job at keeping my profile updated, and my headphone lineup changes pretty often (amps do as well).
That said ... partial list of what's been used on one or the other, or both over the time that I've had them - have sold many of these since then, but for reference purposes.
- ZMF: Atticus, Aeolus, Eikon, Verite Open, Verite Closed, Atrium Open
- Audeze: LCD-X r.2021, LCD-XC r.2021
- Senn: HD800S, HD600, HD650/6xx
- Beyerdynamic: T1.2, T5p.2
- Focal: OG Utopia, OG Clear Pro, Radiance
- Hifiman: Sundara, Ananda v2, Arya v2, HE1000se
- Onkyo: A800

I fully admit I have a bit of a problem :)

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #12,158 of 12,285
Both were equally detailed, the A2 to me felt a bit fuller/rounder in both breadth and depth of presentation with more space between the instruments and the void in-between the notes felt a bit quieter/darker. This was more apparent to me in 2-channel than on headphones, but it was a similar finding.

My methods aren't "scientific" by any stretch, I'd basically leave each DAC in whichever system for a week or so and let myself just listen without thinking about anything critically. The observations were made after switching the DAC and then intently listening to music that I was familiar with. After an hour or so my brain would adjust to the new sound and everything was excellent again. Rinse, repeat, and continue to drive my wife nuts.

I do a crap job at keeping my profile updated, and my headphone lineup changes pretty often (amps do as well).
That said ... partial list of what's been used on one or the other, or both over the time that I've had them - have sold many of these since then, but for reference purposes.
- ZMF: Atticus, Aeolus, Eikon, Verite Open, Verite Closed, Atrium Open
- Audeze: LCD-X r.2021, LCD-XC r.2021
- Senn: HD800S, HD600, HD650/6xx
- Beyerdynamic: T1.2, T5p.2
- Focal: OG Utopia, OG Clear Pro, Radiance
- Hifiman: Sundara, Ananda v2, Arya v2, HE1000se
- Onkyo: A800

I fully admit I have a bit of a problem :)
Thank you for the detailed reply. If you hadnt already assumed it from my question and the previous posts i also might just have a little problem since I already love my A1 but am ordering an A2 currently LMAO. It'll be a $450-$550 upgrade for me and by most accounts I wouldnt regret going from A1 to A2. I listen to mostly modern music, rap, EDM, rock/metal, some older stuff too from my younger years. I have heard a few say they preferred the A1 to the A2 but only a few and I havent really gathered what made them say that.
I think for my tastes the increased richness and bass emphasis will be a great match for my musical tastes but also for my chain. Flux Mentor should love an A2. But all that said I havent a single complaint about my A1 lol. It's just the nature of this hobby and the relative onobtainiumness (lol) of the A2 is a tractor beam to me brains.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #12,159 of 12,285

Thanks for that explanation. Somehow I am sill confused. You said the BF2 (which I have) uses the AD chips (I assume you mean Analog Devices) which you seemed to prefer. I think I would prefer that also. The Yggdrasil+ GS2 uses the same brand of chips. If those are more "organic" (perhaps "analog") than I would prefer that also. But does it matter which board they are on?

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #12,160 of 12,285
Thanks for that explanation. Somehow I am sill confused. You said the BF2 (which I have) uses the AD chips (I assume you mean Analog Devices) which you seemed to prefer. I think I would prefer that also. The Yggdrasil+ GS2 uses the same brand of chips. If those are more "organic" (perhaps "analog") than I would prefer that also. But does it matter which board they are on?
You cant swap them between a Yggy and Bifrost, if thats what you are asking; they are programmed differently. You can swap bf to bf and yggy to yggy though.
But many of us prefer the more rich sound of the AD chips , more likely bc they us JFET not opamps to keep it simple.
It sounds like you are a prime candidate for a Yggy a1 or a2 (GS2 is a1).

As for the Yggy + vs og case- that doesnt matter, u can swap between those inside and out.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #12,161 of 12,285
You cant swap them between a Yggy and Bifrost, if thats what you are asking; they are programmed differently. You can swap bf to bf and yggy to yggy though.
But many of us prefer the more rich sound of the AD chips , more likely bc they us JFET not opamps to keep it simple.
It sounds like you are a prime candidate for a Yggy a1 or a2 (GS2 is a1).

I'm guessing A1 and A2 are just different versions. Keep in mind I am in Canada. So $1699 US is equal to $2,334.58 Canadian. That's a lot of money for me. That also does not include any taxes and shipping and such costs.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #12,162 of 12,285
Do you recall off the top of your head what the issue sonically did with the A1 board using RCA and XLR outs simultaneously?
I don’t unfortunately, it was an issue I read about on another forum when I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy a used A2 or a new GS2.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #12,163 of 12,285
I'm guessing A1 and A2 are just different versions. Keep in mind I am in Canada. So $1699 US is equal to $2,334.58 Canadian. That's a lot of money for me. That also does not include any taxes and shipping and such costs.
just buy my OG1 version , ill list it mid week for $1250 US. Same as a GS2 but has the og case- in beautiful silver.
Same price as a Gungnir used to be and its a step up for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #12,164 of 12,285
I had zero issues (Well, that I'm aware of). I always have an XLR connected amp, and another tube amp SE also connected simultaneously.

YMMV

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #12,165 of 12,285
I had zero issues (Well, that I'm aware of). I always have an XLR connected amp, and another tube amp SE also connected simultaneously.

YMMV
I just tried it too. No problems here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back