Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #12,137 of 12,398
Reds output jitter is the lowest I've ever seen measured. I'm curious why Unison sounds a bit sharper/harder or flatter to me, to the point it kind of breaks my system synergy. It's just too much for my already pretty neutral system. I'm thankful there are options for those with different synergy, and that Yggdrasil is such a versatile DAC.
I think the ones with Urd Unison out to Yggy Unison in are getting super good jitter too. I hope Schiit releases a solution that would do that for us without having to drop so much for an Urd.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #12,138 of 12,398
It’s so sad that A2 has been phased out and is so unobtainium even on the secondary market now. It really is something special. I do wish you well finding one.
Appreciate the good luck bc it panned out for me hella fast lol.
Finding just the chips is indeed literally unobtainium. .

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #12,139 of 12,398
So Schiit has both the Yggdrasil+ and Yggdrasil+ GS2. The latter is cheaper. Would I be missing something by going with the cheaper option? Is the Gen 5 or Unison USB the better choice?

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #12,140 of 12,398
So Schiit has both the Yggdrasil+ and Yggdrasil+ GS2. The latter is cheaper. Would I be missing something by going with the cheaper option? Is the Gen 5 or Unison USB the better choice?
Unison is slightly better, but on the GS2 you can add Unison for $100 and it's a $150 to add later so that seems worth while
perhaps if you can hear the minute difference, and if you only use USB. That said the Gen5 is great in it's own right and is the free option- far better than the previous USB implementations on Yggy. Can save $100 by not upgrading to silver (kind of worth it though if you greatly prefer the silver like i do) as well. They will charge tax though too so thats another $185~.

At 1699 the gs2 is still a bargain, the A1 chips in it are great. It's a limited time product or I expect it would cost a bit more than it does rn.

You have another option if you are interested. I've ordered a used Og2 so I will have an Og1 (same as the GS2 except has the original case- more beautiful imo but a bit more screws to take out if you ever switch out the chips yourself instead of sending it in in the future) for sale at a great price by mid-week. Excellent condition, actually it's Mint graded. Nary a single scratch.
It's silver :) and has the Gen5 USB. It's essentially a GS1 which is a GS2 but with the OG case.

I'm going to list it for $1250 so thats a screaming deal. It's basically a GS2 in Silver (~$2000 out the door from Schiit but has the '+' case option which is about $500 standalone- quite high imo) And I'll split the shipping costs with whomever buys it. Should be tax-free as well.
Somebody should hit me up if they are interested- i'd rather one of my fellow Headfier schiitheads got this deal as opposed to some Ebay rando.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #12,141 of 12,398
Unison is slightly better, but on the GS2 you can add Unison for $100 and it's a $150 to add later so that seems worth while
perhaps if you can hear the minute difference, and if you only use USB. That said the Gen5 is great in it's own right and is the free option- far better than the previous USB implementations on Yggy. Can save $100 by not upgrading to silver (kind of worth it though if you greatly prefer the silver like i do).

At 1699 the gs2 is a bargain, the A1 chips in it are great. It's a limited time product or I expect it would cost a bit more than it does rn.

You have another option if you are interested. I've ordered a used OG2 so I will have an Og1 (same as the GS2 except has the original case- more beautiful imo but a bit more screws to take out if you ever switch out the chips yourself instead of sending it in in the future) for sale at a great price by mid-week. Excellent condition, actually it's Mint graded. Nary a single scratch.
It's silver and has the Gen5 USB. It's essentially a GS1 which is a GS2 with the OG case.

I'm going to list it for $1250 so thats a screaming deal. And I'll split the shipping coats with whomever buys it as well.

The silver costs $100 more than the black for some odd reason. I'd be using both USB from my Mac and coax digital from my CD player. I'd love to find a Mjonir 3 as well but that seems impossible. Those who have them want to hold onto them cause they are so good.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #12,142 of 12,398
The silver costs $100 more than the black for some odd reason. I'd be using both USB from my Mac and coax digital from my CD player. I'd love to find a Mjonir 3 as well but that seems impossible. Those who have them want to hold onto them cause they are so good.
Silver costs more to fabricate. It's a beautiful brushed aluminum finish. The black is just easier/cheaper to produce.
But the silver is gorgeous.
I havent had any issues with the Gen5- sounds identical to the SPDIF to me. Even my neurotic ass self never bothered to 'upgrade' to Unison lol.
Gen 5 is as good as any USB ive heard.

As for Mjonir3, buying my used Yggy would save you a grand over a full kitted GS2 which is almost enough to buy a Mjonir3 :wink:)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #12,143 of 12,398
Silver costs more to fabricate. It's a beautiful brushed aluminum finish. The black is just easier/cheaper to produce.
But the silver is gorgeous.
I havent had any issues with the Gen5- sounds identical to the SPDIF to me. Even my neurotic ass self never bothered to 'upgrade' to Unison lol.
Gen 5 is as good as any USB ive heard.

As for Mjonir3, buying my used Yggy would save you a grand over a full kitted GS2 which is almost enough to buy a Mjonir3 :wink:)

I'm not against silver. I just think the black would go better in my space. I just need to make sure I have enough space. :laughing:

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #12,144 of 12,398
I'm not against silver. I just think the black would go better in my space. I just need to make sure I have enough space. :laughing:
Space is certainly a consideration lol

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #12,145 of 12,398
Different flavors of DAC implementation that have evolved as technology and the cost of components change.
- Yggy+ GS2 are the circa 2014 AD chips on the discrete Analog 1 board
- Yggy+ LIM/MIB are more current TI chips on an OpAmp based board

You wouldn't be "missing something" per se by going the cheaper route, but it would be helpful to know what your preferences lean towards sonically prior to jumping in.
And if you really wanted to go full bananas you could order the Yggy+ GS2 as well as the MIB boards separately for about the same price as the Yggy+ MIB by itself :)

Cover swapped my Yggys recently and the new chassis design is pretty straight forward, 4x screws and you're in!

Attachments

• yggy+og-a2.jpg
    yggy+og-a2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • yggy+og-a1.jpg
    yggy+og-a1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • yggy+og-a1-a2.jpg
    yggy+og-a1-a2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #12,146 of 12,398
Different flavors of DAC implementation that have evolved as technology and the cost of components change.
- Yggy+ GS2 are the circa 2014 AD chips on the discrete Analog 1 board
- Yggy+ LIM/MIB are more current TI chips on an OpAmp based board

You wouldn't be "missing something" per se by going the cheaper route, but it would be helpful to know what your preferences lean towards sonically prior to jumping in.
And if you really wanted to go full bananas you could order the Yggy+ GS2 as well as the MIB boards separately for about the same price as the Yggy+ MIB by itself :)

Cover swapped my Yggys recently and the new chassis design is pretty straight forward, 4x screws and you're in!

So which is which? To me they both look the same on the inside. I just wonder if I could even tell the difference in sound between DACs. I have the BF2 right now and have a Hifiman EF600 which includes a DAC. I could not tell the difference between the two DACs running into my Singxer SA-1 headphone amp. Perhaps a very slight volume change but that's it.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #12,147 of 12,398
So which is which? To me they both look the same on the inside. I just wonder if I could even tell the difference in sound between DACs. I have the BF2 right now and have a Hifiman EF600 which includes a DAC. I could not tell the difference between the two DACs running into my Singxer SA-1 headphone amp. Perhaps a very slight volume change but that's it.
I was in the same place as you, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to tell a difference.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC I’m using in a bedroom system and I was using an SMSL SU-9 DAC going into my Folkvangr but got curious about the whole multi bit thing and jumped on a good deal on a Yggy OG A2 in the classifieds.

It’s hands down a huge difference from the SMSL SU-9, I was amazed at how big the difference is. I’m hearing a lot more detail and things sound more spatial and three dimensional.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #12,148 of 12,398
I was in the same place as you, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to tell a difference.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC I’m using in a bedroom system and I was using an SMSL SU-9 DAC going into my Folkvangr but got curious about the whole multi bit thing and jumped on a good deal on a Yggy OG A2 in the classifieds.

It’s hands down a huge difference from the SMSL SU-9, I was amazed at how big the difference is. I’m hearing a lot more detail and things sound more spatial and three dimensional.

Well maybe I was just comparing DACs of the same or similar price range. The Yggy is much more expensive so I would imagine it would sound different or better than say the Bifrost 2 (non 2/64).

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #12,149 of 12,398
Well maybe I was just comparing DACs of the same or similar price range. The Yggy is much more expensive so I would imagine it would sound different or better than say the Bifrost 2 (non 2/64).
oh it absolutely does. u nailed it. Dacs of similar tier can sound similar.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #12,150 of 12,398
I bought a GS2 with Unison about a week ago and I couldn't be happier. I think Gen 5 is galvanically isolated so really either would be fine. You can always upgrade it later. I went with Unison because I know I would've lost sleep over wondering what I'm missing out on with Unison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back