Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 21, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #107 of 12,353
Probably can't be answered yet. It's only been out a month.

May 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #110 of 12,353
So big caveat here: the best DAC I've owned or heard prior is the Gungnir. It was gen 1 but with BNC to the BDP.

So, a couple days in and the initial harsh treble has definitely settled down. Right out of the box, some recordings were quite strident. However, it's balanced out. Note that I'm referencing relative to a single DAC listed above. I can now hear instrument tracks not noticed before on familiar recordings. Doubled tracks are more separated and distinct. Inky black background. Definitely a step up from the Gungnir. I'm not a detail guy. I just want to enjoy the music. I find myself enjoying it more now. Though initially overwhelming with all the detail, the brain eventually just lets it settle and it feels more cohesive. Like a live performance. So, on and on it goes. I have to say I am not a fan of week long warm up but I knew that going into it so I'm being patient. So far I'm loving what it's giving me. Dropped a couple Zappa CDs and was just smiling. Great time I'm having with this. Trying to enjoy while also analyzing a bit as it progresses. Mostly enjoying.

May 25, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #112 of 12,353
  Anymore updates from Ygg users? It's been awfully quiet recently.

We're all busy listening!

I was away for a week on business, left Yggy powered up the whole time.What has impressed me of late are rock recordings (Yes, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead) where there is a lot happening in terms of voices and instruments, and Yggy separates everything out clearly. Details within the mix are clear, spatial placement is solid, and it sounds like music.

May 25, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #113 of 12,353

I was away for a week on business, left Yggy powered up the whole time.What has impressed me of late are rock recordings (Yes, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead) where there is a lot happening in terms of voices and instruments, and Yggy separates everything out clearly. Details within the mix are clear, spatial placement is solid, and it sounds like music.

So what dacs have you listened to and how do they compare . Is the Yggy better them most dacs you have heard ?

May 25, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #114 of 12,353

Anymore updates from Ygg users? It's been awfully quiet recently.

Wonder how close does ygg's playback is compare to the original mastertape. 

May 25, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #115 of 12,353

So what dacs have you listened to and how do they compare . Is the Yggy better them most dacs you have heard ?

Yggy replaced a Gungnir in my system. It was only after reading the technical details of Yggy that Mike Moffatt shared here, and the early reviews of pre-production units, that I would and could consider spending more than $1K for a DAC. Yggy is far batter than any DAC I have owned, and other good DAC's I have heard were in other systems, for example the PS Audio Power Wave transport and DAC, so I cannot offer a proper comparison. Hope this answers your question.

May 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #116 of 12,353
The Yggy is an amazing DAC.  Part of the Yggy break-in is getting used to its character if very different from you current DAC (Master  7 in my case).  I had further improvement in sound week 1 through week 2 where vocals smoothed out and bit more in the low midrange/ upper bass region.  Few minor changes to my system were needed to support Yggy's neutral sound

The Yggy excels with Redbook CD 44/16 files.  Higher rez files are great but CDs are very enjoyable.  This is good as I have 30 years of CDs to run through the Yggy. 

Spent some time with coax and AES/EBU driven by the Off Ramp 5.  In comparison to the Yggy USB coax and AES/EBU seem not as extended on the highs and smidge less soundstage.  Very slight differences but the Yggy USB interface is great and my preferred input for computer audio.. 

May 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #117 of 12,353
The Yggy is an amazing DAC.  Part of the Yggy break-in is getting used to its character if very different from you current DAC (Master  7 in my case).  I had further improvement in sound week 1 through week 2 where vocals smoothed out and bit more in the low midrange/ upper bass region.  Few minor changes to my system were needed to support Yggy's neutral sound

The Yggy excels with Redbook CD 44/16 files.  Higher rez files are great but CDs are very enjoyable.  This is good as I have 30 years of CDs to run through the Yggy. 

Spent some time with coax and AES/EBU driven by the Off Ramp 5.  In comparison to the Yggy USB coax and AES/EBU seem not as extended on the highs and smidge less soundstage.  Very slight differences but the Yggy USB interface is great and my preferred input for computer audio.. 

Ditto. My old CD catalog has been flipped through and played back for the last several days. CDs never sounded so good. I spent this morning spinning 192/24 Simon and Garfunkel and it just blew my mind. Music sounds like music. It's just a treat. I'm currently six days in and I can definitely tell the treble has smoothed out substantially. Details for days. Now I have to decide if I want to step up to a ragnarok. Currently, I'm just loving what I have and see no need. Who knows tho. What I really want now is an old school syrupy tube amp for times when I really just want to go way back.

May 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #118 of 12,353

Ditto. My old CD catalog has been flipped through and played back for the last several days. CDs never sounded so good. I spent this morning spinning 192/24 Simon and Garfunkel and it just blew my mind. Music sounds like music. It's just a treat. I'm currently six days in and I can definitely tell the treble has smoothed out substantially. Details for days. Now I have to decide if I want to step up to a ragnarok. Currently, I'm just loving what I have and see no need. Who knows tho. What I really want now is an old school syrupy tube amp for times when I really just want to go way back.

After my Yggy settled in, and after reading people's experiences with the Ragnarok in speaker-based systems (which is what I have), I ordered one. Next thing you know I'll be spending big bank on headphones.There is no end in sight...

And +1 on good old redbook CD's, Yggy renders them so beautifully.

May 25, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #119 of 12,353

Well...I had been waiting someone to say this. I had a Gungnir and in the queue for Yggy. With Gungnir, I too had the same feeling that you tend to forget about resolution, clarity and all..you start enjoying your collection.

Sorry for wasting everybody's time but here is how I felt. Whenever I would walk into a music instrument store, I would be tempted to play with whatever instrument are available such as guitars, drums etc. Though I would not be able to play any tune but the real sound coming out of real instrument is pleasing and Gungnir gave me same kind of joy.

May 29, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #120 of 12,353
I'm surprised to find this thread so inactive with the first lot of 250 in the wild and so many of us way beyond the burn in period. As for me I don't find the time or motivation for "critical listening". I'm just enjoying the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back