Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #91 of 12,304

The small audiophile details - I stopped caring about that. Incredible DAC.

This is me in a nutshell.  I used to constantly evaluate my system with reference songs and the like.  That all ended about a week ago.  I stopped counting how many hours I have the Yggy on - I think I am somewhere over 300.  The last time I was this happy with an audio rig was about 8 years ago when I had a modded Monarchy NM24, a Woo Audio 6 SE and the AKG K501 (a awesome trio by the way).  I am certainly not comparing the sound quality of that rig to my current one but that was the last time I really remember enjoying music without evaluating my system the entire time.  

May 19, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #93 of 12,304
These impressions are becoming interesting. Aspects you didn't expect, subtlety, even hints that how you listen/what you listen for are redefined - this says a lot more to me than "it was a night and day difference".

I'm starting to see a Yggy in my future.

May 19, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #94 of 12,304

I stopped comparing it with the Theta after 200smth hours, but I should perhaps do another round of this. But here's the thing. I have around 450 hours on the Yggdrasil and last night wife and myself listened to live recorded, vocal/acoustic/folk music on speakers, which was an incredible experience. It was so close to the real live experience that it was stunning to both of us. Stunning real and hard to put in words. It makes me want to go to live concerts less than before. As good as the Yggdrasil is with headphones, with speakers it's even better in my experience.

The small audiophile details - I stopped caring about that. Incredible DAC.

So, do tell HE-9 impressions with Yggdrasil :D

May 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #95 of 12,304
I have discovered the cause of the mid bass bloom on the master 7, it's vastly due to the 8x over-sampling on the DSP.

Once you set to 1x NOS mode, the m7 becomes pretty much more lean sounding with more depth in the soundstage and better instrument positioning. However you lose the crystal like treble and cymbals feels less shimmering. So It's a trade off.

Maybe the ygg OS/filter is superior in the sense that it doesn't need to have this kind of trade off? Maybe Purrin or dacladder have the answer on this.

Without some EQ the NOS mode will have HF droop (3.2dB by 20kHz) whereas 8XOS will be near to flat. This loss of HF energy could be what you're hearing.

May 20, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #96 of 12,304

I have discovered the cause of the mid bass bloom on the master 7, it's vastly due to the 8x over-sampling on the DSP.

Once you set to 1x NOS mode, the m7 becomes pretty much more lean sounding with more depth in the soundstage and better instrument positioning. However you lose the crystal like treble and cymbals feels less shimmering. So It's a trade off.

Maybe the ygg OS/filter is superior in the sense that it doesn't need to have this kind of trade off? Maybe Purrin or dacladder have the answer on this.

Without some EQ the NOS mode will have HF droop (3.2dB by 20kHz) whereas 8XOS will be near to flat. This loss of HF energy could be what you're hearing.

It doesn't explain for the disappearance of the mid bass bloom and also the better depth and instrument positioning. Maybe something got changed in the time domain in favour of frequency domain with oversampling.

So can we adjust the digital filter to -60db (instead of the default -130db) on the Audio-gd DSPv5 to counteract the drop in the HF in NOS Mode?

May 20, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #98 of 12,304
May 20, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #99 of 12,304

It doesn't explain for the disappearance of the mid bass bloom and also the better depth and instrument positioning. Maybe something got changed in the time domain in favour of frequency domain with oversampling.

So can we adjust the digital filter to -60db (instead of the default -130db) on the Audio-gd DSPv5 to counteract the drop in the HF in NOS Mode?

Sorry I wasn't very clear - I think the better depth and instrument positioning comes about because of lower total glitch energy when running NOS. I'm undecided how the mid bass improvement arises.The cymbal shimmer remark was what I thought might be explained by NOS droop. As far as I know the digital filter number only relates to the stop-band attenuation - with NOS there won't be any digital filter in circuit in my understanding.

May 20, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #100 of 12,304
Looks like oversampling(audiogd) creates some form of phase distortion? It's quite a big jump for me interms of stereo conherency and instrument positioning on speakers. Music feels like 60fps film(nos) vs 24fps film(8x), with much faster and less decay on the transients.

May 20, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #101 of 12,304
May 20, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #102 of 12,304

It is a lot of Schiit.  I got the Asgard few years back.  Loved it.  Still have it but don't play it really.  Will probably ebay it.  I tried magni/modi set for office.  Was fun.  Sold them though.  Got a vali for that now with Bifrost.  Above pictured is my home setup.  Mostly I now run the Valhalla with HD650s.  I picked up the Lyr2 because I have Audezes and wanted to try something for them other than Mjolnir.  The MJ will probably get sold.  But, I kept it for now to wait and see how they all work with the new DAC.  In a few weeks I'll sit down and see what works best and probably still keep it all!!  At the prices they charge, I can actually afford to have multiple amps and match them better to the cans I use.  Pretty brilliant. 

May 21, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #104 of 12,304
I do not consider myself qualified to claim anything but here is my thought. Based on my experience with Gungnir, I have confidence that I would like the Yggy. For the other DACs, even if I can buy and like, there will always be some bitter thought in mind about the pricing. 5k+ on a DAC is difficult to swallow for me as an average earner.

May 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #105 of 12,304
  I do not consider myself qualified to claim anything but here is my thought. Based on my experience with Gungnir, I have confidence that I would like the Yggy. For the other DACs, even if I can buy and like, there will always be some bitter thought in mind about the pricing. 5k+ on a DAC is difficult to swallow for me as an average earner.

I upgraded from Gungnir to Yggy in a speaker-based system. Despite the clear need for Yggy to have 200+ hours of "settling-in" time, I can tell you that cold out of the box it clearly outperformed my Gungnir. As it has opened up the resulting sound of the music is nothing less than amazing, and deeply satisfying. Based on the comparisons I have read here on HF, it is possible that there remain a very few DAC's that offer better performance than the Yggdrasil, but they are considerably more expensive. For the investment I doubt you'll find a better DAC, and certainly not one that is upgradeable over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back