Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #11,416 of 12,398
May KTE out of the box was significantly better than OG Y along most dimensions I care about (for my music, with my amps and headphones, ...) except for a slight smearing in the lower mids for some lower sample rate (44.1 and 48) material. If all my source material had been 88.2 and above, I'd not have noticed. Unsurprising, since the benefits of Schiit's proprietary multibit filter are most evident for lower sample rate material. With Roon PCM upsampling of the lower sample rate material, I pretty much stopped using the Y. But the experiment made me curious about other upsampling options, and after experimenting with HQP, I found that I could push the DAC even further. In addition, doing the same with a Spring 2 KTE I have at a second location put it above the Y. in all respects I care about. That's when I sold the Y that I had owned and upgraded for 6 years...

As to what "seems crazy" it all depends on what/how you listen and what you choose to spend your disposable income on...
@earnmyturns could you comment on the synergy of your DACs with the SCM40A?
I'm looking at building the following chain: Pi2AES > DAC > Freya S > SCM40A and have been considering the LIM or Soekris 2541 for digital duties. Want to make sure whichever I choose is a good match for the ATCs. Thanks!

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #11,417 of 12,398
@earnmyturns could you comment on the synergy of your DACs with the SCM40A?
I'm looking at building the following chain: Pi2AES > DAC > Freya S > SCM40A and have been considering the LIM or Soekris 2541 for digital duties. Want to make sure whichever I choose is a good match for the ATCs. Thanks!
The SCM40As are driven by a Linn Klimax Organik, I've never tried them with any other DAC or pre (too complicated given the the physical layout and wiring). Linn's Organik DAC is in a category of its own in detail, fast attacks, tight decays. Which are perfect for the SCM40As. The only DAC competitor I own is the HQPlayer-driven Holo May (with a specific set of filters and DSM modulator). Soekris 2541 is less impactful, more rounded in the transients. A good DAC, but not in that league. I've never heard LIM. Freya S is good for the price, but a bit hazy compared with my Holo Serene. I don't have a good idea on DAC and pre for the SCM40As that is not a lot more expensive than 2541+Freya S.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #11,418 of 12,398
The SCM40As are driven by a Linn Klimax Organik, I've never tried them with any other DAC or pre (too complicated given the the physical layout and wiring). Linn's Organik DAC is in a category of its own in detail, fast attacks, tight decays. Which are perfect for the SCM40As. The only DAC competitor I own is the HQPlayer-driven Holo May (with a specific set of filters and DSM modulator). Soekris 2541 is less impactful, more rounded in the transients. A good DAC, but not in that league. I've never heard LIM. Freya S is good for the price, but a bit hazy compared with my Holo Serene. I don't have a good idea on DAC and pre for the SCM40As that is not a lot more expensive than 2541+Freya S.
Thanks a lot for your response - I'll keep that in mind as I build my chain and may need to increase my budget.

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #11,419 of 12,398
Wow, you laid it all out extremely well. I am a Yggy fan and Spring fan. Yggy is about dynamics and Spring is about staging as you stated. I am currently using Yggy OG as my HP DAC with the Ferrum stack and at the same time as my 2ch DAC. The secret sauce for this setup is I feed the Yggy into a Holo Serene pre before going to Ferrum stack for HPs or a 2ch amp for speaker listening. I am liking that setup. Spring DAC is strictly being used with HPs and has the Holo Bliss amp as its partner. I do not thing you can go wrong with Yggy nor with Spring. Just different flavors of sound.
Have you tried the Yggy Og with the Bliss? If so is it a good synergy?

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #11,420 of 12,398
Have you tried the Yggy Og with the Bliss? If so is it a good synergy?
I did but I cannot remember how it was other than it was very good. I know that is not helpful at all. From memory I liked the Bliss neutral/warmth slant with the Yggy neutral/analytical slant.

I ended up stumbling across a May KTE locally so I like how Serene, Bliss, and May look on my 2ch rack that also acts as a headphone station. I know that is a weak reason but oh well.

So Yggy is with Oor/Hypsos stacked on top of it with a Khozmo Passive Pre thrown in for Schiits and giggles. The pre is addes so I can use the bypass mode with Oor.

I am a huge Yggy fan. Yes I have May KTE and have had Spring KTE but I keep going to Yggy with whatever is with it. It really brings the music to you with no gloss added. Yggy does need to be kept on all the time. I turn it off when I go on a trip and literally for the first day or two after I turn it on again, I wonder why I liked it. Then after a few days it comes back to life and is so enjoyable.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #11,421 of 12,398
I did but I cannot remember how it was other than it was very good. I know that is not helpful at all. From memory I liked the Bliss neutral/warmth slant with the Yggy neutral/analytical slant.

I ended up stumbling across a May KTE locally so I like how Serene, Bliss, and May look on my 2ch rack that also acts as a headphone station. I know that is a weak reason but oh well.

So Yggy is with Oor/Hypsos stacked on top of it with a Khozmo Passive Pre thrown in for Schiits and giggles. The pre is addes so I can use the bypass mode with Oor.

I am a huge Yggy fan. Yes I have May KTE and have had Spring KTE but I keep going to Yggy with whatever is with it. It really brings the music to you with no gloss added. Yggy does need to be kept on all the time. I turn it off when I go on a trip and literally for the first or two after I turn it on again, I wonder why I liked it. Then after a few days it comes back to life and is so enjoyable.
Thank you so much :)

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #11,422 of 12,398

I am a huge Yggy fan. Yes I have May KTE and have had Spring KTE but I keep going to Yggy with whatever is with it. It really brings the music to you with no gloss added. Yggy does need to be kept on all the time. I turn it off when I go on a trip and literally for the first day or two after I turn it on again, I wonder why I liked it. Then after a few days it comes back to life and is so enjoyable.
I understand the new LiM/MiL variants don't have that warm up issue.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #11,423 of 12,398
I do have the OG version. With the older case. I will send it in for a newer case once there is something else there is to add to it. It is wonderful to know that in general Yggy will not become obsolete. Modular is a very nice thing of Schiit to do. They do it for us versus for themselves. They could make a lot more money by having us need to buy Yggy 2 or 3 or 4 etc. if they were not modular. Well done Schiit.

Sure is a bulky thing next to my bed. But a pleasurable bulky thing.

I just had a great session with Yggy last night. It was with the ZMF Atrium Closed. The Atrium Closed plays very well with SS amps btw. Usually they play best with tube amps. I gave up on tubes amps. It was one more thing to obsess on. :)

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #11,424 of 12,398
I do have the OG version. With the older case. I will send it in for a newer case once there is something else there is to add to it. It is wonderful to know that in general Yggy will not become obsolete. Modular is a very nice thing of Schiit to do. They do it for us versus for themselves. They could make a lot more money by having us need to buy Yggy 2 or 3 or 4 etc. if they were not modular. Well done Schiit.

Sure is a bulky thing next to my bed. But a pleasurable bulky thing.

I just had a great session with Yggy last night. It was with the ZMF Atrium Closed. The Atrium Closed plays very well with SS amps btw. Usually they play best with tube amps. I gave up on tubes amps. It was one more thing to obsess on. :)
I've been dancing around buying an Yggy for a long time. I haven't committed though, but not sure why. I guess not being able to choose between OG and LiM? I am not the sort of person to have multiple DACs etc. I don't have the rack space for a start. Hopefully I will give my head a shake and give one a go soon.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #11,425 of 12,398
I've been dancing around buying an Yggy for a long time. I haven't committed though, but not sure why. I guess not being able to choose between OG and LiM? I am not the sort of person to have multiple DACs etc. I don't have the rack space for a start. Hopefully I will give my head a shake and give one a go soon.
Just go OG and be done with it.
:)
OG with Unison and new case is great. I have OG with upgraded Unison in the original case

Apr 15, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #11,426 of 12,398
I threw a dart and it landed on the OG. I doubt you can go wrong with either LIM or OG. Throw that dart and see where it lands and then hopefully enjoy the heck out of it once it arrives.

Apr 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #11,427 of 12,398
Hi George
I am in that same place- it is difficult because the sonic signatures of LIM vs OG seem a bit different. The big factors for me
1) LIM tonality per user impressions here and at SBAF (I really recommend reading the LIM impressions only thread over there it is fantastic) ie near perfect tonality and black background plus the SE outs are nearly the same as XLR (important for connecting pre-amp see below)
2) Availability of Syn. I have some concerns that headstage may be a bit narrower on LIM however pairing equipment may help. Syn can be used as a pre-amp and uses Matrix technology to allow adjustment of width and depth in the analog domain. This could be a game changer if it works as long as other sonic elements ie detail retrieval are unaffected. But Syn inputs are only SE.
3) Schiit ‘level up’ policy. Schiit has a policy that, if you return an item of lower price for one higher up, they will waive the restocking fee. One idea might be to try Bifrost 2/64 first (as tonality is supposedly very similar to Yggy OG) and then decide if you want to ‘trade up’ to LIM or OG. One could also start with LIM and do the same (trade up to Yggy OG) if not happy with rolled off top end or lack of low end grunt on the LIM. The only extra cost would be the shipping fee back to Schitt and of course the difference in cost between the devices.
4) There is a slight financial advantage to start with LIM and level up to OG than the reverse. LIM cost $400 less than OG, so level up (on trade) would just be $400, whereas to upgrade from OG to LIM you would incur the restocking fee as you are trading for a lesser cost device. This all predicated on returns within the 15 day window- if later you want to upgrade LIM to OG, the cost is $750 that is $350 more that the difference between devices bought as new. Upgrade from OG to LIM later =$450 plus you are out the extra $400 you paid for OG > LIM in the first place (though of course you can keep your LIM or OG card either way). It seems Schiit is providing a little incentive to go with LIM > OG maybe because of the scarcity of the AD DAC chips.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #11,428 of 12,398
This may be unpopular opinion but in the initial days of using OG I noticed the extra detail it brought to my setup
But after a couple months i am not sure if i hear those extra details. I keep thinking I could have been just as happier with my Bimby
May be its just me. May be our brains are wired to always look for new

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #11,429 of 12,398
The Yggy OG is the best Mike Moffat and Schiit have to offer in a multibit DAC. If you can do it, go for it. You can always swap in a LIM or MIL if you want.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #11,430 of 12,398
Hello , I got used used Yggy first generation for real good price, I decided to upgrade to OG 2 and USB Unision , I got back my dac last Tuesday, after I received I turned on and until now it’s on , my question is , is it enough to burn , should I keep playing music or not , just keep Yggy on ?
Thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back