Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #11,386 of 12,427
So, my Ygdrassil won’t power on. I don’t see any fuses that are readily accessible. I do have email to Schiit sent.
The fuse is on the inside. On picture look at the upper left.

Attachments

• 7594BF61-9C97-41C4-992E-C20BEF64E29A.jpeg.a47a4b8a795c2914332bb4ef14bd5236.jpeg
    7594BF61-9C97-41C4-992E-C20BEF64E29A.jpeg.a47a4b8a795c2914332bb4ef14bd5236.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #11,387 of 12,427
Been debating the OG vs LIM for a few weeks now, started wondering ‘what about Pontus 2?’ It’s an R2R with a reportedly deep soundstage albeit according to some a bit looser in the bass (at least compared to the OG - no substantive video reviews of the LIM on YT yet). Wandered over to the Pontus thread where there was a user who had sold the LIM because of too large a DSD collection, then found the Pontus did not deliver the realism, impact and 3-dimensionality experienced with the LIM and now trying to figure out how to get that back. Roon will of course transcode DSD files to PCM, but not sure how that impacts SQ. Anyway, Here is the post over from the Pontus thread of anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #11,388 of 12,427
So, my Ygdrassil won’t power on. I don’t see any fuses that are readily accessible. I do have email to Schiit sent.
Teaching you to suck eggs, but have you tried measuring the one in the power cord?

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #11,389 of 12,427
Been debating the OG vs LIM for a few weeks now, started wondering ‘what about Pontus 2?’ It’s an R2R with a reportedly deep soundstage albeit according to some a bit looser in the bass (at least compared to the OG - no substantive video reviews of the LIM on YT yet). Wandered over to the Pontus thread where there was a user who had sold the LIM because of too large a DSD collection, then found the Pontus did not deliver the realism, impact and 3-dimensionality experienced with the LIM and now trying to figure out how to get that back. Roon will of course transcode DSD files to PCM, but not sure how that impacts SQ. Anyway, Here is the post over from the Pontus thread of anyone is interested.
I bought a Pontus II 12th Anniversary Edition at the end of last year. I sold it within a few months. Competent but unexciting. A disappointing upgrade from Ares II TBH. I expected more and it just didn't deliver. In hindsight I should have gone for Venus II 12th minimum.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #11,390 of 12,427
Teaching you to suck eggs, but have you tried measuring the one in the power cord?
I used two different power cords and multiple outlets. It’s dead. I verified the cord is good. But thanks for the thought.

Hopefully it’s a fuse. I’ll wait for schiit support since it’s only 4 months old. I was hoping for a hard reset type of solution.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #11,391 of 12,427
I used two different power cords and multiple outlets. It’s dead. I verified the cord is good. But thanks for the thought.

Hopefully it’s a fuse. I’ll wait for schiit support since it’s only 4 months old. I was hoping for a hard reset type of solution.

No worries. I see someone else has now posted an image confirming fuse location. I hope it isn't too much of a pain for you to resolve.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #11,392 of 12,427
I had an issue with my Rag2 and the cost of labour was 1/4th the cost of shipping, so they're reasonable!

Perhaps see if you can negotiate that repair in with an upgrade (like the new chassis!) if you were interested in one!

EDIT: Oh, I see it's new!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #11,393 of 12,427
I had an issue with my Rag2 and the cost of labour was 1/4th the cost of shipping, so they're reasonable!

Perhaps see if you can negotiate that repair in with an upgrade (like the new chassis!) if you were interested in one!

EDIT: Oh, I see it's new!
Schiit contacted me and wants me to send it back. Part of me wants to check the fuse, but being only 4 months old, I guess I'd better just ship it back.

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #11,394 of 12,427
I've been dancing around a Yggdrasil purchase for years. I've decided to finally commit, but can't decide between OG and LiM. I am hoping someone can clarify, if I bought LiM, can I later buy an OG card from here: https://www.schiit.com/products/yggy-upgrades and just swap them out? Thus getting the best of both worlds?

Also, what is the latest silver finish like? I am pretty much settled on black TBH, but silver could be an option if it's really nice.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #11,395 of 12,427
I've been dancing around a Yggdrasil purchase for years. I've decided to finally commit, but can't decide between OG and LiM. I am hoping someone can clarify, if I bought LiM, can I later buy an OG card from here: https://www.schiit.com/products/yggy-upgrades and just swap them out? Thus getting the best of both worlds?

Also, what is the latest silver finish like? I am pretty much settled on black TBH, but silver could be an option if it's really nice.
Can’t speak from experience but from correspondence with Schitt, the answer re OG card upgrade is ‘yes, but if you do the installation yourself be sure you know what you are doing electrically.’ They do NOT say that installing yourself voids the warranty, though I’m not sure what would happen if you try to install yourself and somehow cause damage that would require warranty service, I would suggest to correspond with them about it directly. It seems there is a bit more required to do it than just un-plugging the old card and plugging in the new one.

Cost wise, Schitt pointed out to me that buying LIM first is the cheapest route since LIM is $400 cheaper and the upgrade to OG costs $750, whereas if you buy OG first the LIM upgrade is $450 but I guess at this level that difference is marginal.

What amp are you planning to pair with Yggy?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #11,396 of 12,427
Can’t speak from experience but from correspondence with Schitt, the answer re OG card upgrade is ‘yes, but if you do the installation yourself be sure you know what you are doing electrically.’ They do NOT say that installing yourself voids the warranty, though I’m not sure what would happen if you try to install yourself and somehow cause damage that would require warranty service, I would suggest to correspond with them about it directly. It seems there is a bit more required to do it than just un-plugging the old card and plugging in the new one.

Cost wise, Schitt pointed out to me that buying LIM first is the cheapest route since LIM is $400 cheaper and the upgrade to OG costs $750, whereas if you buy OG first the LIM upgrade is $400 but obviously that difference is marginal.

What amp are you planning to pair with Yggy?
Linear Tube Audio MZ3.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #11,397 of 12,427

If you get a Yggdrasil+ the OG and LIM cards are supposed to be an easy swap (I haven’t done it myself but I did send in my original Yggy for the + chassis upgrade). If you get a non “+” version on the used market, swapping the LIM and OG cards is a more involved process and while can be done by the user, was meant to be done after shipping back to the factory.

The current silver finish is a very nice brushed aluminum. The problem with the silver is there is a lot of variance from unit to unit in the exact color and brushing by pattern. If you have or plan on getting more Schiit and would like them all to match, I would recommend going with black.

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #11,398 of 12,427
I like the new chassis and upgrade process, but the economics make no sense to me. I just can't see how it doesn't make the most sense to just sell your Yggy for whatever you can get and get a new, preferrably B-stock, unit of your choice, and just buy the other card (if you're a V1 owner like me)

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #11,399 of 12,427
I like the new chassis and upgrade process, but the economics make no sense to me. I just can't see how it doesn't make the most sense to just sell your Yggy for whatever you can get and get a new, preferrably B-stock, unit of your choice, and just buy the other card (if you're a V1 owner like me)
Economics wise, I would have thought the upgrade might be cheapest- I guess it depends on what you can sell your V1 for, and which version of Yggy+ you ultimately want. Chassis upgrade $499 + $400 for a LIM card (they will throw in a Gen 5 USB with the Chassis upgrade, Unison USB would be $150 more) - you could have an essentially new unit for $1050 USD. Of course if you buy a new Yggy+ you have the 5-year warranty rather than just 2 years if you upgrade, but if I understand correctly that is not transferable to a second owner if you sell the Yggy+ during the warranty period. Given a B-stock MIL is $2250 USD (that’s the price for an MIL that’s on the site now, I’m assuming LIM would be the same but maybe it would be a little less cost-wise), if you then add the cost of a LIM card ($400) you’ll need to sell your used Yggy for $1600 USD to break even cost-wise if buying a B-stock one. Of course if the B-stock is a LIM and that’s what you want (no need to buy the other card), you’d only need to sell the used Yggy for $400 less than that. That sounds a very fair price for a used Yggy so I imagine you could get that much for it on Classifieds. Good luck!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #11,400 of 12,427
I figured if you can sell a V1 for $1200, it makes sense to replace it with a new or B-stock unit of your choosing. The extra card is the cost of an extra card, regardless of the route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back