Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #11,326 of 12,201
I built my own custom router with pfsense, and a Ubiquiti WiFi 6 access point. Not for sound quality, but for performance. Highly recommended.
Very interesting. Pfsense runs on that access point?

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #11,328 of 12,201
Pfsense on the Router. Access point technically runs Linux but updates are Managed by Ubiquiti.

I use the same setup except that I run IPFire on the router
Im thinking of ordering the Netgate 6100. Im just trying to figure out if I cam use all the WAN(optical) for internal routing(like LAN)

Mostly the system is for SNORT/security

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #11,329 of 12,201
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #11,330 of 12,201
Currently in search for a new DAC and I was initially considering getting Holo Spring 3 KTE or Level2 but after seing Passion for Sound review on Spring where he compares it to old OG Yggy I am bit confused. Any owner around who had both DACs who could compare them? Can Yggy OG really outmatch Spring 3? After all its around 2k eur difference in price at this point.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #11,331 of 12,201
Currently in search for a new DAC and I was initially considering getting Holo Spring 3 KTE or Level2 but after seing Passion for Sound review on Spring where he compares it to old OG Yggy I am bit confused. Any owner around who had both DACs who could compare them? Can Yggy OG really outmatch Spring 3? After all its around 2k eur difference in price at this point.
Just never forget that price tags, as it relates to performance, can be quite misleading in this hobby. :wink:

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #11,332 of 12,201
@GoldenOne Are you able to help?

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #11,333 of 12,201
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #11,334 of 12,201
The price comparison is wrong (using US prices which is what I have access to): Y+ OG: $2,699, Holo Spring 3 KTE: $3,098. I don't own a Spring 3 KTE, but I own a May KTE and a Spring 2 KTE, and I owned a Y OG for a long time. They are different. Out of the box, Y(+) OG is the better all-rounder, although the Holo DACs excel in tonal density. With external upsampling and DSD conversion via HQPlayer (which costs more, of course), I prefer the Holo DACs in all respects. Not by a lot, but by enough to have retired my Y after 5 happy years.

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #11,335 of 12,201
The price comparison is wrong (using US prices which is what I have access to): Y+ OG: $2,699, Holo Spring 3 KTE: $3,098. I don't own a Spring 3 KTE, but I own a May KTE and a Spring 2 KTE, and I owned a Y OG for a long time. They are different. Out of the box, Y(+) OG is the better all-rounder, although the Holo DACs excel in tonal density. With external upsampling and DSD conversion via HQPlayer (which costs more, of course), I prefer the Holo DACs in all respects. Not by a lot, but by enough to have retired my Y after 5 happy years.
That mirrors my research findings so far, thanks for the elaboration. Regarding the cost, I am usually buying gear used , Holo Srping 3 KTE is at least 2,5k-3k from what I could fiond. Yggy here in Europe is around 1k for the OG Analoge 1 which I am currently eying. So yeah the main concern is, if 2k justify the minor perfomance boost to Yggy.

Is Roon upscaling enough for Spring 3 to lift off or is HQPlayer mandatory?

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #11,336 of 12,201
That mirrors my research findings so far, thanks for the elaboration. Regarding the cost, I am usually buying gear used , Holo Srping 3 KTE is at least 2,5k-3k from what I could fiond. Yggy here in Europe is around 1k for the OG Analoge 1 which I am currently eying. So yeah the main concern is, if 2k justify the minor perfomance boost to Yggy.

Is Roon upscaling enough for Spring 3 to lift off or is HQPlayer mandatory?
That used price for the Spring 3 KTE is too high, unless it's the version with volume control (and even then...). The quality upgrade from Y. OG A1 to A2 was not small, in my experience. My comparison was with A2. I've used Holo DACs in pure NOS for quite a while, but with upsampling+DSD modulation they rise to a new level.

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #11,337 of 12,201
The distorted audio using Yggy USB has not returned. I think the USB interface (PC -> Yggy) just got in a weird state tracking songs with different sampling rates. Should have tried to re-connect the USB cable to establish a new session with the PC. Know better for next time and not too worried about it right now.

24 hrs after restoring power we are back to normal on SQ. I did not get the strident, glassy upper range like the first 3-days out of the box. It appears not only is there a few days warm-up phase but also a long burn-in cycle associated with the Yggy. At 5 weeks my Yggy is still changing slightly for the better. Not my imagination as I had the solid state AGD M10 amp connected this morning via XLR and sounded impressive. It was thin, edgy, and little bass for the first couple of weeks especially with the SS amp. With SS or tubes the over abundant detail seems in better control as the Yggy matures.

Good luck on the Yggy sale and hope you find sonic nirvana. Enjoyed the review. It may be a while before I can come to Tiburon. But buy a MSB Platinum and I will be over tomorrow with wine bottle in hand!

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #11,338 of 12,201
That used price for the Spring 3 KTE is too high, unless it's the version with volume control (and even then...). The quality upgrade from Y. OG A1 to A2 was not small, in my experience. My comparison was with A2. I've used Holo DACs in pure NOS for quite a while, but with upsampling+DSD modulation they rise to a new level.
Is currently Yggy OG the A2 version?

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #11,339 of 12,201
Feb 16, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #11,340 of 12,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back