Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #9,976 of 12,197
Does anyone have any experience using the Bluesound Node 2i with the Yggy? I have an Auralic Aries but I’ve been having wireless connectivity issues for a long time now and I’m looking to make a change. I’m also interested in any other streamer recommendations for the Yggy. I currently have a NAS with a bunch of lossless and hi-res files, and I’d want to be able to stream Tidal.

if you are getting interference on your wireless from other nearby networks, have you tried manually setting the wi-fi channel on the router and other devices? many wi-fi routers default to a specific channel out of the box.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #9,977 of 12,197
I've heard them both (but not at the same time) in a friend's speakers system consisting of an Exposure 3010 integrated amplifier and B&W 705 standmounts with matching B&W sub. Gumby A2 was more dynamic, exciting, with better contour of the instruments and more texture (at least in the bass, iirc), while Holo (KTE, I think, anyway certainly not level 1 or 2) was more euphonic, had nicer tonality (expecially brass instruments were very enticing), more spacious soundstage, weighty (-er? - not sure) bass and had very smooth and silky but also rolled-off treble. Overall, I think Gumby was a bit more detailed.

Edit: Both me and my friend agreed upon these observations. For what it's worth...

Interesting that integrated is considered pretty warm so I’m wondering if you had swapped that out say with like a Sphinx integrated if you would still feel the same way about the Holo. From the way you describe it tho that does sound amazing.
Yggy has a bit narrow soundstage which is why some preferred the Gumby in that department. I could get the Level 2 and a used Gumby for $800 to try out both to see if it was the downstream causing my initial impression.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #9,978 of 12,197
Yggy has a bit narrow soundstage
Hum... I had a Holo Spring KTE 3 for a while, mainly on headphone duty. I found its soundstage excessively wide ompared with the Yggdrasil. Hegel H360 amp, KEF Reference 1 speakers + REL T7i subs, careful speaker placement including sub phase adjustment, lots of room damping. Instruments that I knew were close on the stage were way spread out for some recordings. It's been a while so I don't recall details.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #9,979 of 12,197
For awhile now, I've been think perhaps my perception changes in how sensitive I'm to sibilence that at certain times it's significantly noticible, but other times not so much. I'm starting to think that my Yggy was shut off for those instances I heard treble to sound hard and lots of music track vocals sounding heavily sibilant. Has others experienced this as well? Is this what the result of keeping it on for? Reducing this hardness to treble, and sibilence?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #9,980 of 12,197
Yes those are SOME of the traits that are affected by a 'suitable' warm up (ie. being left on, all the time).
Spatial cues, bass extension, mid range detail and cohesion are a few of the others.

Overall muddyness with fuzz is a somewhat useful way of describing a 'cold' JggyB as well.

I can directly relate to these traits being obscured when the JggyB is cold, since I just powered it down, and just long enough for it to 'go cold'.
So I now get to go thru the warm up cycle, yet again.

Hopefully after all this time it will only take 1-2 days of continually being powered up, to return to it's former degree of blossomification. :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #9,982 of 12,197
Should I be looking to get a balanced amp for my yggy a2 to get the most out of it? What kind of drop in quality is there between se and balanced?
Yes, if you can get a balanced amp. For accidental reasons that don't matter here I currently have my Phonitor XE amp on Yggdrasil SE rather than balanced, and it does not sound as good, a bit thinner and less dynamic.

May 6, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #9,983 of 12,197
After nearly a month, the Yggdrasil continues to impress...I listened to Chicago: If You Leave Me Now, and it has always been an album that I thought was not so good (sounded flat and digital), but for the first time, it sounded fantastic. It was full and 3d and layered and sweet, without the flat, hard, digital sound I have heard in the past. I will need to try even the albums in my collection that I thought were not so good.
laptop => Yggdrasil (unison) => Ragnarok 2 (pre-out) => Aegir => KEF LS50

May 10, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #9,984 of 12,197
In the chain: Yggdrasil => Freya+ => Vidar where the Vidar is being used as a single stereo amp and therefore requires a single-ended connection from the Freya, is there any advantage to using balanced interconnects over single-ended between the Yggy and the Freya?

May 10, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #9,985 of 12,197
In the chain: Yggdrasil => Freya+ => Vidar where the Vidar is being used as a single stereo amp and therefore requires a single-ended connection from the Freya, is there any advantage to using balanced interconnects over single-ended between the Yggy and the Freya?

in theory, better noise rejection. XLR (balanced) between Yggdrasil and Freya will also allow dual mono (should you add a second vidar) operation in Freya+ passive mode.

May 13, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #9,987 of 12,197
Probably never, because the Jggy was designed to be upgraded vs replaced.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back