Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
post-15551649
Post #9,946 of 10,219

sahmen

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
^^^ Sure... They sound like the secret ingredient that could make an audiophile out of Frankenstein himself :) :

Last edited:
Reactions: G0rt
post-15551938
Post #9,947 of 10,219

bfin3

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have a yggy connected to my pc using the atterotech undaes-o to the aes input. To me this was an improvement from the gen5 usb and I really haven't had any issues with the ethernet protocol. However, I would love to simplify my setup and I would rather just use usb if it sounds close to as good. Has anyone made the comparison betweenthe unison usb and ethernet?

post-15552069
Post #9,948 of 10,219

gefski

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have a yggy connected to my pc using the atterotech undaes-o to the aes input. To me this was an improvement from the gen5 usb and I really haven't had any issues with the ethernet protocol. However, I would love to simplify my setup and I would rather just use usb if it sounds close to as good. Has anyone made the comparison betweenthe unison usb and ethernet?

A few months ago I spent some time with @atomicbob listening to a meticulous setup of his with Bifrost 2, comparing Unison feed to a Dante feed via Spdif using an RME Dante interface. The short story is we had great difficulty pinpointing any specific differences or coming up with an overall preference. That speaks highly of Unison.

For me at home, however (unDaes-O fed YggyB), I haven’t been motivated to order the board because I’ve been more interested in other system improvements, because the gulf between Dante and Gen 5 is gigantic, and because I don’t want to return to the unpleasant USB cable wars (Dante “doesn’t care” about Ethernet cable cost, length, etc.)

So if you do it, please post your impressions!

post-15552188
Post #9,949 of 10,219

dwest1023

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I would not say gen 5 to unison is gigantic at all. I installed a unison in a Yggy A and at first listen I thought it was really good. Then after extended listening, there was a brightness that did not sit well with me. I install the gen 5 back in and ears were more satisfied. Sent my Yggy in for the B uprade with gen 5 installed. First listen was almost the sound of YGGY A with unison. I installed unison with new yggy b and that was a definite no. Way to much brightness. My amp is a Pass integrated which is always described as warm sounding. So back went the Gen 5 and have been running the Yggy non stop for 3 days, for proper break in. Yggy b, as of right now, is sounding my better and less bright with gen 5 installed. Once the Yggy gets broken in good, I might put the unison back in and see what happens. Needless to say I am an expert taking the yggy appart. 7 mins tops. Let me add I have very neutral bookshelf speakers. Yggy A with gen 5 was wonderful sounding. As usual seems all the upgrades and changes are very system dependent. Seems like the higher you rise of the ladder the more fussy things get.

post-15553425
Post #9,951 of 10,219

bfin3

Head-Fier
Reaction score
@gefski I'm going to try it out and let you know. It will open up a shelf on my rack and turn 3 wires into one so I'm very motivate to simplify things.

Reactions: gefski
post-15568183
Post #9,953 of 10,219

tincanear

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Is there a break in period for a unison install?
I was just looking at a john Darko interview with Jason (factory tour 2016) where it was mentioned that Yggdrasil gets 3 or 4 day burn-in.

disclaimer: I haven't done a unison upgrade for Yggdrasil (don't own a yggy, just a Bifrost Multibit aka bimby OG). just another schiit customer with a background in electronics.

post-15574586
Post #9,955 of 10,219

hikaru12

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on my next DAC. I've heard glowing praises for the Yggy but I don't know if I wanna splurge over $2k and then more money on a transport for the Yggy to get the most out of it. It seems like everything under the $2k bracket can't compare including the Qutest, RME ADI-2, Matrix X Sabre or Element M/X, etc. I personally didn't care for the Gumby - while it was spacious sounded it was way too warm especially coupled with my warm headphones at the time Auteur/LCD 2. I couldn't get the detail I liked with it as I could from a good D/S. It sounded muddy to me - additionally the grey background didn't help. They claims the Gumby is the next godsend around that price tier which sucks because I didn't care for its sound and can't found a good 3D sounding D/S for around it's price.

Should I just spring for the Yggy or is it worth still looking for a middle ground (less than 2K DAC) smooth sounding D/S which would be more up my alley. The more I think about multibit the more I think I actually prefer the sound of D/S (Modi 2 Uber vs the Multibit, etc.) I think having natural sounding headphones makes up for most of the benefits touted by multibit.

Last edited:
post-15574848
Post #9,956 of 10,219

gefski

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on my next DAC. I've heard glowing praises for the Yggy but I don't know if I wanna splurge over $2k and then more money on a transport for the Yggy to get the most out of it. It seems like everything under the $2k bracket can't compare including the Qutest, RME ADI-2, Matrix X Sabre or Element M/X, etc. I personally didn't care for the Gumby - while it was spacious sounded it was way too warm especially coupled with my warm headphones at the time Auteur/LCD 2. I couldn't get the detail I liked with it as I could from a good D/S. It sounded muddy to me - additionally the grey background didn't help. They claims the Gumby is the next godsend around that price tier which sucks because I didn't care for its sound and can't found a good 3D sounding D/S for around it's price.

Should I just spring for the Yggy or is it worth still looking for a middle ground (less than 2K DAC) smooth sounding D/S which would be more up my alley. The more I think about multibit the more I think I actually prefer the sound of D/S (Modi 2 Uber vs the Multibit, etc.) I think having natural sounding headphones makes up for most of the benefits touted by multibit.
If I didn’t care for Gumby, I certainly wouldn’t consider a Yggy. It’s not radically different, and there are lots of good DACs out there to audition or buy with a return policy.

Another thought if you’re using one of Schiit‘s earlier usb — their Unison USB or a non usb file delivery (Pi/AES, Dante, etc) will “open things up” for far less $.

Last edited:
post-15575260
Post #9,957 of 10,219

shultzee

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on my next DAC. I've heard glowing praises for the Yggy but I don't know if I wanna splurge over $2k and then more money on a transport for the Yggy to get the most out of it. It seems like everything under the $2k bracket can't compare including the Qutest, RME ADI-2, Matrix X Sabre or Element M/X, etc. I personally didn't care for the Gumby - while it was spacious sounded it was way too warm especially coupled with my warm headphones at the time Auteur/LCD 2. I couldn't get the detail I liked with it as I could from a good D/S. It sounded muddy to me - additionally the grey background didn't help. SBAF claims the Gumby is the next godsend around that price tier which sucks because I didn't care for its sound and can't found a good 3D sounding D/S for around it's price.

I have messed around with a bunch of dac's. Since I have had a Yggy I have been satisfied and done searching. Amazing Dac.

Reactions: SuperRoo
post-15575348
Post #9,959 of 10,219

poorsod

New Head-Fier
Reaction score

Have you considered the Yggdrasil GS at $1600?

post-15575560
Post #9,960 of 10,219

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
Reaction score

Why do you think Qutest can't compare? For transparency and detail Qutest is what I'd get under $2K, or DAC3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)