Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #6,841 of 12,405
Yggy is already heavy on the bass, already thick in its tone (though incisive), with indeed a touch of greyness / glaring (not DS glaring of course), and it lacks something more open / airy / wide in the soundstage as it is undoubtly forward sounding.
Until now, feedbacks are pointing toward more thickness, more warmth and more centered soundstage...I'm not sure it's the way to go.

Ali

Sorry but I find these kind of comments like the old story of several blind men trying to describe an elephant. One says while feeling it's leg "It is like a tree". Another says while feeling it's ear "It is like a bed sheet". Another says while feeling its trunk " It is like a snake". And so on...

In my own experience the Yggy will sound different in every system depending upon the kind and quality of the associated equipment. In my current system and to my ears it does not sound grey, it does not sound forward, and it has tight, realistic bass. It can have a bit of glare on some songs but that seems to be recording dependent. I personally find the Yggy to be quite neutral and revealing of associated system components. In a well conceived system good recordings sound great and lousy recordings sound.... lousy.

Even trying to state that "others have said" does not really drive home one's point without a bit of proof or knowing how those other systems were set up. At least offer links or references as support.

If someone wants their subjective opinion to be taken seriously here please at least start with "In my system..." or "To me..."

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #6,842 of 12,405
No! But thank you.

Did you try hooking your Yggy up to a laptop using USB with the Schitt downloaded drivers yet as was suggested a few days ago?

We want to help you but you are not really replying with the results of trying out our suggestions.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #6,843 of 12,405
Sorry but I find these kind of comments like the old story of several blind men trying to describe an elephant. One says while feeling it's leg "It is like a tree". Another says while feeling it's ear "It is like a bed sheet". Another says while feeling its trunk " It is like a snake". And so on...

In my own experience the Yggy will sound different in every system depending upon the kind and quality of the associated equipment. In my current system and to my ears it does not sound grey, it does not sound forward, and it has tight, realistic bass. It can have a bit of glare on some songs but that seems to be recording dependent. I personally find the Yggy to be quite neutral and revealing of associated system components. In a well conceived system good recordings sound great and lousy recordings sound.... lousy.

Even trying to state that "others have said" does not really drive home one's point without a bit of proof or knowing how those other systems were set up. At least offer links or references as support.

If someone wants their subjective opinion to be taken seriously here please at least start with "In my system..." or "To me..."

Bingo! This.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #6,845 of 12,405
In a well conceived system good recordings sound great and lousy recordings sound.... lousy.

Well I used to preach just that, but after a system do over I realized: A well conceived system makes lousy recordings listenable and great recordings exceptional.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #6,846 of 12,405
Well I used to preach just that, but after a system do over I realized: A well conceived system makes lousy recordings listenable and great recordings exceptional.

Good point. I guess that I usually look for exceptional clarity and detail and that often does not help a bad recording much!

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #6,847 of 12,405
Good point. I guess that I usually look for exceptional clarity and detail and that often does not help a bad recording much!

I grew up in the age of Hair Metal and have some guilty pleasures in the genre, my previous detail oriented system just wasn't fun anymore. Now I run a little colored and enjoy the crap out of everything. So far testing the new Yggy has it fitting in well, IMO it is rather forward sounding in comparison to every other DAC I've had but seems to fit well with my more laid back system components. Should hit 300 hours this Thursday.

I've never heard the original analog board. Reading between the lines on numerous reviews and owner accounts and knowing what I wanted in my system made me a little leery about trying it with the expensive shipping to Canada. The usual suspect buzz words thrown around when I heard about the Analog 2 changed that, along with a big user account thread on another forum that sounded a little different to other accounts and reviews. Of course he had received the Analog 2 just before Christmas without knowing.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #6,849 of 12,405
Hi JJ. what do you mean by power up sequence?
Please be patient I get a bit lost in these threads. Give me some time,I need someone to help me and he is not readily available.
I will try the lap top bit ASAP and will get back
TNX

What do you turn on first in your system? The preamp? Then the amp? Then the DAC? Or, do you turn on the DAC first? Etc... In what order do you turn on your system?

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #6,851 of 12,405

I grew up in the age of Hair Metal and have some guilty pleasures in the genre, my previous detail oriented system just wasn't fun anymore. Now I run a little colored and enjoy the crap out of everything.
Harbeth?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #6,853 of 12,405
Previous was Focal.
Hate Focal - too bright and tipped up for my tastes. Actually i meant your current but neglected to look at your signature - I see you are on Wilson Sabrina. Wish I had the cash to do "well conceived system" like that!! :dt880smile:

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #6,855 of 12,405
Pre Amp on all the time, Dac Conect to Pre Amp,Then to source Then power on., Last on first off.

You do know that the DAC Yggy should be left on all the time like your preamp?

What is your "source?" I am assuming that when you said "power on," you referred to your power amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back