Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #6,871 of 12,405
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #6,872 of 12,405
Bright and edgy... Just might be? ... Turn the fuse the Yggy comes with around and it won't be,

That is why we are getting opposite reports here.

I know.. I know.. Some say it makes no difference. But on my system? What I am reading about the two very different reports about the sound of the Yggy? Is what I heard when trying fuse directions!

Closed minds cause problems to needlessly persist. Telling someone to "suck it up and take it like a man" causes suppression of truth.

My skepticism around fuses making an audible difference is immense. Even more so around fuse direction. Just when you think you have heard it all... fuse direction now matters. No. I'm not playing.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #6,873 of 12,405
Hey I changed my yggys feet the other week to match the rest of my gear..

Now I'm not saying the sound quality improved, but I'm not not saying it either.

I.can create a spreadsheet chronicling the sonic differences when moving the new feet from corner to corner too..

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #6,874 of 12,405
In my own experience the Yggy will sound different in every system depending upon the kind and quality of the associated equipment. In my current system and to my ears it does not sound grey, it does not sound forward, and it has tight, realistic bass. It can have a bit of glare on some songs but that seems to be recording dependent. I personally find the Yggy to be quite neutral and revealing of associated system components. In a well conceived system good recordings sound great and lousy recordings sound.... lousy.

Even trying to state that "others have said" does not really drive home one's point without a bit of proof or knowing how those other systems were set up. At least offer links or references as support.

If someone wants their subjective opinion to be taken seriously here please at least start with "In my system..." or "To me..."
I'm 100% subjective and perfectly fine with that. I extensively use the warnings you mention in my mother tongue (french) but tend to be more straightforward in (my bad) english. Apologies for that :)

To me, there's nothing like objective feeling in this hobby, neither "neutral" nor "well conceived system" on an absolute level...in the end, it's always a matter of taste. With time and experience, you learn to acknowledge those who hear like you...and those you're not able to share / understand the feelings. Looking at your system, I know we won't share the same feelings, as I find Jotunheim unbearably agressive / forward with HD600/650 (bit better with 650 BTW), let alone with what I consider as a forward sounding DAC like the Yggy.

First impressions I've read tend to more warmth and more thickness, I don't find Yggy "A" lacking both but would be pleased with more air / width, that's why I'm waiting for more impressions.

For the record, I listen most of the times to my music with e-stat (from SR-1 to SR-009) through a BHSE, and sometimes HD600/800 through Vali 2 / Magni 3. My Yggy is fed by an AES16 Lynx card, obviously in AES/EBU. I've listened to other systems (HE-6 / HD800 with EC 4-45 or 2A3 mkIV), and my comparative feelings stand, especially facing the AMR, less resolving and impactful, but more airy / wide / relaxed (whenever it has any meaning for the reader).

Ali

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #6,875 of 12,405
@RCBinTN, my post Jan 28, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #6828 was directed at you. Only mentioning here in this post because I haven't read a reply and neglected to use the ampersand symbol. Perhaps you did not see/read the post.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #6,876 of 12,405
I'm 100% subjective and perfectly fine with that. I extensively use the warnings you mention in my mother tongue (french) but tend to be more straightforward in (my bad) english. Apologies for that :)

To me, there's nothing like objective feeling in this hobby, neither "neutral" nor "well conceived system" on an absolute level...in the end, it's always a matter of taste. With time and experience, you learn to acknowledge those who hear like you...and those you're not able to share / understand the feelings. Looking at your system, I know we won't share the same feelings, as I find Jotunheim unbearably agressive / forward with HD600/650 (bit better with 650 BTW), let alone with what I consider as a forward sounding DAC like the Yggy.

First impressions I've read tend to more warmth and more thickness, I don't find Yggy "A" lacking both but would be pleased with more air / width, that's why I'm waiting for more impressions.

For the record, I listen most of the times to my music with e-stat (from SR-1 to SR-009) through a BHSE, and sometimes HD600/800 through Vali 2 / Magni 3. My Yggy is fed by an AES16 Lynx card, obviously in AES/EBU. I've listened to other systems (HE-6 / HD800 with EC 4-45 or 2A3 mkIV), and my comparative feelings stand, especially facing the AMR, less resolving and impactful, but more airy / wide / relaxed (whenever it has any meaning for the reader).

Ali

Thanks. I appreciate your response and certainly agree that "there's nothing like objective feeling in this hobby." Sounds like you have a really good system.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #6,877 of 12,405
We are talking about two opposite sounding Yggys here. The only reason the issue of the OEM fuse (not an audiophile one) came up was in attempt to explain why people are hearing contrasting sound qualities. I took the OEM fuse that came with my Yggy and turned it around to see if it was sitting in its optimal direction. When I turned it around... with my excellent speakers .. I heard a loss of bass and a stronger upper mid and high end.

I decided to place it back the way it came from the factory. Yet? Who knows if this factor is even being paid attention to when the fuse is inserted on assembly. It may just explain why such contrasting reports of sound quality are being reported amongst different Yggy owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #6,878 of 12,405
We are talking about two opposite sounding Yggys here. The only reason the issue of the OEM fuse (not an audiophile one) came up was in attempt to explain why people are hearing contrasting sound qualities. I took the OEM fuse that came with my Yggy and turned it around to see if it was sitting in its optimal direction. When I turned it around... with my excellent speakers .. I heard a loss of bass and a stronger upper mid and high end.

I decided to place it back the way it came from the factory. Yet? Who knows if this factor is even being paid attention to when the fuse is inserted on assembly. It may just explain why such contrasting reports of sound quality are being reported amongst different Yggy owners.

No, it would not. But if you believe yours sounds better with the fuse one way than the other I highly recommend you use it the way it sound best to you. Electrically it makes no difference.

Personal preference, happy listening and all...

:)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #6,879 of 12,405
No, it would not. But if you believe yours sounds better with the fuse one way than the other I highly recommend you use it the way it sound best to you. Electrically it makes no difference.

Personal preference, happy listening and all...

:)
Not better. Totally different. Better is in the ear of the beholder.

Electrically it makes no difference according to the criteria used in manufacturing OEM fuses.
Just like two different brands of 12AX& tubes are electrically the same. But?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #6,881 of 12,405
@RCBinTN, my post Jan 28, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #6828 was directed at you. Only mentioning here in this post because I haven't read a reply and neglected to use the ampersand symbol. Perhaps you did not see/read the post.

Yes, I saw your post...and thanks for your questions.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #6,882 of 12,405
Yes, I saw your post...and thanks for your questions.

Okay, you saw my post. I take it you have elected not to answer. Very well.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #6,884 of 12,405
While setting around contemplating turning sixty last week, I ordered a Yggdrasil. I've actually been considering a second Gumby for some time but I figured what the hell, I've never seen a Brink's truck following a hearse to a cemetery. Anyway, if anyone has experience pairing the Yggdrasil with the Utopia/HD800S or maybe one of the Violectric amps, V280/281, any impressions or tweaks would be much appreciated.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #6,885 of 12,405
Personally, I’m waiting on details of how it audibly improves the unit before making a decision.

I haven't read far enough into this to be sure, but I strongly suspect that I received a B version in early November and have been battling brightness issues ever since. I knew it couldn't be the Yaggy due to all the glowing reviews! Tonight, or more correctly this morning I discover it could very well be due to a crappy output card! That explains an awful lot! I have spent a small fortune in cables trying to fix this issue! A lot more than the cost of the output card, a LOT more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back