Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 8, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #4,606 of 12,283
  if you have iOS devices, please use camera adapter kit (and a powered USB hub) to connect it directly to USB input on Yggy, that can change your perspective on MP3s. I am sure you can access Google music in iOS.

I do have a couple of iOS devices, and listen to Google Music on them.  I thought that SPDIF was supposed to be better?  I did try the iOS device through the CD player (it takes USB in), and then coax/SPDIF from that into Yggy.  That was early on, and I didn't notice a difference at the time.

@tlainheart

I've not noticed such an effect when using my Yggy / Raggy combo (...I start to lose the detail and image.). If something like that were to happen I might suspect a power supply issue or some component overheating and drifting out of spec. Had it happen once many years ago, turned out to a be a resistor that changed value as it heated up, or that's what I was told at the time by the technician that fixed the problem. I remember reading somewhere at sometime how a power supply issue can also cause strange sound problems. Better that it should just fail altogether rather than vary from spec so much it affects the sound. 

I know from my own experience that when I add a new toy to my rig I have a tendency to want to listen a little louder than usual to experience all the new revelations I'm expecting to hear based on all the conclusions I came to before I made the purchase. Listening at higher than usual levels has given me listening fatigue pretty quickly.

I listened to my Yggy with both Rag and Jot yesterday for 5 hours with no problems. I'm headphones only and CD's only. Sold my vinyl back in the late 90's when the number of digital tech pros and cons were approaching parity with the number of analogue pro and cons. It simplified my life.

Thanks - I wondered about the Rag drifting from spec, but I don't yet want to cast blame if it's me.  I do hope that it is me, because I don't want to try and chase down such a technical problem.  I do try to keep the volume down.  There are pros and cons re analog/digital for sure, and analog complicates things, but then I listen to some of the Blue Note releases from Music Matters Jazz, and I'm OK again :) .

What are you using for headphones?  I heard some LCD-3s the other day, and they were amazing - some day.  I'm currently using Nighthawks and Grado GS1000es.  I like the NH quite a bit.  But I do prefer speakers.

What speakers and cd player do you use?

The CD player is a Teac CD-H750.  The speakers are Polk LSi-15s.  I'm looking into some bookshelves, like LS-50s.

-- Todd

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #4,607 of 12,283
  ...What are you using for headphones? I heard some LCD-3s the other day, and they were amazing - some day.  I'm currently using Nighthawks and Grado GS1000es.  I like the NH quite a bit.  But I do prefer speakers.

-- Todd

HD800 and Utopia (see my sig below). There's a recent post (last few days) I made where I listed the candidates I auditioned over the past year on the way to picking my final choices. I'll PM you when I locate it which thread it's in.

I miss speakers and the LS50's keep me thinking but I just don't have the space to do it right.

I wouldn't make myself crazy trying to figure out an unusual issue like you have with imaging and clarity(?) changing like that. Document what your experiencing over say 3 days and contact Schiit. That's what their there for, they've probably heard it all and may be be able to diagnose the issue in a heartbeat.

(I had an exceptionally good listening session with Yggy Rag and the Utopia last evening. Kept shaking my head at times, the instruments were so realistically reproduced.)

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,608 of 12,283

I'd like to learn more, so if you have links to this info, please share. Thanks.

Found a link to a page on their old site.
Seems after looking around that isolation transformer reduction of jitter is a known thing.

http://www.equitech.com/articles/origin.html

Also link to AES book "Recording Studio Design" page.
Try reading that book sometime if you are having trouble with insomnia.

https://books.google.com/books?id=pYsZDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT1431&lpg=PT1431&dq=do+isolation+transformers+reduce+jitter&source=bl&ots=dWpnHcqMJW&sig=T_lfR-MtQvmpDlFfym44qHYYFHw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivlJDwg5XTAhUKxmMKHQUWAG0Q6AEITjAG#v=onepage&q=do%20isolation%20transformers%20reduce%20jitter&f=false

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #4,609 of 12,283
  Found a link to a page on their old site.
Seems after looking around that isolation transformer reduction of jitter is a known thing.

http://www.equitech.com/articles/origin.html

Also link to AES book "Recording Studio Design" page.
Try reading that book sometime if you are having trouble with insomnia.

https://books.google.com/books?id=pYsZDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT1431&lpg=PT1431&dq=do+isolation+transformers+reduce+jitter&source=bl&ots=dWpnHcqMJW&sig=T_lfR-MtQvmpDlFfym44qHYYFHw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivlJDwg5XTAhUKxmMKHQUWAG0Q6AEITjAG#v=onepage&q=do%20isolation%20transformers%20reduce%20jitter&f=false

Thanks for digging this up, but again, there are no measurements on the Equitech site to backup their claims of jitter or noise reduction. I'm not saying they aren't true, but I would expect claims like this to be backed up by more than circuit diagrams. 

Now compare this to this Shunyata info...it's not about jitter reduction, it's about noise reduction...but it does have some measurements to back up their claims http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/news/331-noise-reduction-in-medical-procedures

As this is pretty OT, we may want to take it elsewhere if it goes on too much longer. 

But back OT, I'm glad that your Yggy is starting to work out for you!

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #4,610 of 12,283

(I had an exceptionally good listening session with Yggy Rag and the Utopia last evening. Kept shaking my head at times, the instruments were so realistically reproduced.)

Same here last night with my Yggy-based speaker system (microRendu>Yggy>Hegel H360>KEF Reference 1+REL T7i), two new digital jazz releases: Kevin Eubanks with two outstanding bands on Mack Evenue, released APril 7; and a Ralph Towner ECM classic, "Solstice," rereleased in hires. Very good soundstage and instrument separation in both, with the Eubanks release (as with most Mack Avenue releases) doing an excellent job of reproducing the staging of a small jazz ensemble (which I'm very familiar with from the many live gigs I attend), while the Towner release is classic ECM studio, with a slightly reverb-y but very well delineated rendering that gives the feeling you are communing with the musicians in some sacred space. For me, these well-recorded small-ensemble (or solo) recordings are where the Yggy especially excels.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #4,611 of 12,283
Just over 200 hours!
I may be delusional but I say it sounds better than it did yesterday.
Sounds like live music! :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4,612 of 12,283
  Just over 200 hours!

Yup, that's what what you are looking for :) As I've said (maybe too) many times here, Yggy + good recording of a small ensemble gets me closer to the live experience I am very familiar with from multiple local venues than anything I've ever experienced at home. Of course there might be even better setups, but it's got to the point for me that listening to more good music has much higher priority than staying on the endless audio gear escalator (I'd have to move to create a dedicated listening room with proper room treatment, or get one of those super-pricey Linn Klymax systems with room correction, neither of which would improve marital harmony).

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #4,613 of 12,283
  What is your postulation?

Just a ways back I posted this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread/4470#post_13362318

JJ

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4,614 of 12,283

Just over 200 hours!

Yup, that's what what you are looking for :) As I've said (maybe too) many times here, Yggy + good recording of a small ensemble gets me closer to the live experience I am very familiar with from multiple local venues than anything I've ever experienced at home. Of course there might be even better setups, but it's got to the point for me that listening to more good music has much higher priority than staying on the endless audio gear escalator (I'd have to move to create a dedicated listening room with proper room treatment, or get one of those super-pricey Linn Klymax systems with room correction, neither of which would improve marital harmony).

No worries, the Manhattan Project will soon be here.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #4,615 of 12,283
Any yggy owners here also own the new iDSD BL? I'm thinking of getting the latter for bedroom listening (the best excuse I can come up with so far) but wonder if I will end up chucking it aside and stick back to my yggy in the living room. My yggy is connected to the iCAN SE so I guess amp-wise it's comparable to the BL's built in amp. Anyone enjoy both equally much?

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #4,617 of 12,283
The author has stated multiple times, and I'll try to summarize. How does one build a DAC, for the purpose of reproduction of recorded music, if the music was never recorded? While some people may like the way it sounds when tasked to playback music, which was created digitally or synthesized electronically, it was not the original task or design. It is made to play back real music. If it works well for you when tasked for another purpose, that's the opinion of each listener and what their mind's eye expects to hear.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,618 of 12,283
Does Yggdrasil sound good with electronic music?

Don't listen to a lot of electronic music but what I have heard has been amazing. Yggy's reproduction of correct phase means spatial effects can be startling. I've heard this with some Radiohead and Jean Michel Jarre material. Add to this Yggy's resolution of detail and texture, and separation of 'instruments'...

E: Of course this is IME, YMMV etc

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,619 of 12,283
  Does Yggdrasil sound good with electronic music?

Yes, very much so.
  The author has stated multiple times, and I'll try to summarize. How does one build a DAC, for the purpose of reproduction of recorded music, if the music was never recorded? While some people may like the way it sounds when tasked to playback music, which was created digitally or synthesized electronically, it was not the original task or design. It is made to play back real music. If it works well for you when tasked for another purpose, that's the opinion of each listener and what their mind's eye expects to hear.

>>It is made to play back real music.

What a pretentious thing to say, also not true. Sound waves are sound waves, Yggy works wonders in any genre. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,620 of 12,283

What a pretentious thing to say, also not true. Sound waves are sound waves, Yggy works wonders in any genre. 

I own the Yggdrasil. I listen to the Yggdrasil. I am not trying to state anything more than what I hear. With real music, I have not heard it bested. With other music, it varies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back