Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #4,592 of 12,283
It sure is......    
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,593 of 12,283
  Got the email from Schiit today...Yggy's on the way !!!
As Lou Gehrig, the Iron Horse, once said, "Today i consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

I am way happy for you Bill....Your delivery on Tuesday is still aways off....so you should prepare for those angels to sing like you have never heard them before!
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #4,594 of 12,283

Balanced power uses +60/ -60 volts instead of +120/0 volts for load/neutral.
So reactive current cancels out via common mode rejection at the balanced power transformer.
Drops noise floor like 16-20 dB.

http://www.equitech.com/the-origin-of-balanced-power/
http://www.equitech.com/an-overview-of-ac-power-and-noise/

While I am a believer in power conditioning (and have the Shunyata stack & cables to prove it), if there is before and after jitter measurements that support a 70% reduction jitter like you claimed earlier, I don't see it, nor do I see measurements to show the noise floor improvements that you cite. 

I'd like to learn more, so if you have links to this info, please share. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #4,595 of 12,283
The page on their old website stated 70% reduction. The new website mentions 30% reduction. It may be that they are using a different method to do the measurements. The info about the noise floor reduction is available there also. Their site has been rearranged and It looks like not all the info from the old site has been added yet.  But you can look at their list of clients and ask yourself why so many heavy hitters use their technology.   http://www.equitech.com/clients/
Interestingly, the balanced power guys don't  rely on "proprietary" smoke and mirror explanations. They can tell you exactly how it works.
To my mind it is a better solution than just filters.
No doubt other conditioners will improve your system. In particular I would be happy with a Denali or a Niagara. Other good ones available no doubt but I am not familiar with them.
Martin Glasband invented balanced power in the late 90's. It was added to the National Electrical Code in 2002. Since then it has taken over the Pro A/V production industry.
There is plenty of info about balanced power online if you look around.
This is maybe a good link to start with: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/equitech/1.html

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #4,596 of 12,283
  As of this evening it seems like it has finally come in to its own. The edge seems like it is finally gone, replaced by what I would call an exquisite kind of detail. Now my other rig does not  sound just "warmer," it actually sounds a little bit congested. I had expected a used unit would not take so long  as a new one to start sounding its best. So please pardon my naivete. Turns out maybe all you maniacs are on to something after all.

I received my Yggy 8 days ago - has been on since, and I've been listening to it most every night, via CD transport over coax.  I'm an analog (vinyl) guy, but I must say that it sounds wonderful.

The past two nights I noticed that after about an hour in, I start to lose the detail and image.  The Yggy feeds a Raggy, which feeds speakers.  I've wondered if the Raggy is somehow getting "tired" (pushing 88db 4 ohm speakers), or more likely, *I'm* getting tired - listener fatigue.  But it's something I want to observe as things evolve.

I've not owned at outboard DAC before - just what CD players give me - so I can't compare.  But I do look forward to listening to CDs now, because they sound so good through this system.  I could never say that before.

(I do have Chromecast Audio feeding the Yggy via mini-Toslink as well, but that doesn't sound so good.  It's the source - I listen to my Google Music subscription, and we're talking MP3 quality there.  I can't tolerate it for long).

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #4,597 of 12,283

I received my Yggy 8 days ago - has been on since, and I've been listening to it most every night, via CD transport over coax.  I'm an analog (vinyl) guy, but I must say that it sounds wonderful.

The past two nights I noticed that after about an hour in, I start to lose the detail and image.  The Yggy feeds a Raggy, which feeds speakers.  I've wondered if the Raggy is somehow getting "tired" (pushing 88db 4 ohm speakers), or more likely, *I'm* getting tired - listener fatigue.  But it's something I want to observe as things evolve.

I've not owned at outboard DAC before - just what CD players give me - so I can't compare.  But I do look forward to listening to CDs now, because they sound so good through this system.  I could never say that before.

(I do have Chromecast Audio feeding the Yggy via mini-Toslink as well, but that doesn't sound so good.  It's the source - I listen to my Google Music subscription, and we're talking MP3 quality there.  I can't tolerate it for long).

if you have iOS devices, please use camera adapter kit (and a powered USB hub) to connect it directly to USB input on Yggy, that can change your perspective on MP3s. I am sure you can access Google music in iOS.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #4,598 of 12,283
@tlainheart

I've not noticed such an effect when using my Yggy / Raggy combo (...I start to lose the detail and image.). If something like that were to happen I might suspect a power supply issue or some component overheating and drifting out of spec. Had it happen once many years ago, turned out to a be a resistor that changed value as it heated up, or that's what I was told at the time by the technician that fixed the problem. I remember reading somewhere at sometime how a power supply issue can also cause strange sound problems. Better that it should just fail altogether rather than vary from spec so much it affects the sound. 

I know from my own experience that when I add a new toy to my rig I have a tendency to want to listen a little louder than usual to experience all the new revelations I'm expecting to hear based on all the conclusions I came to before I made the purchase. Listening at higher than usual levels has given me listening fatigue pretty quickly.

I listened to my Yggy with both Rag and Jot yesterday for 5 hours with no problems. I'm headphones only and CD's only. Sold my vinyl back in the late 90's when the number of digital tech pros and cons were approaching parity with the number of analogue pro and cons. It simplified my life.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,599 of 12,283

What speakers and cd player do you use?

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,600 of 12,283
Can someone tell me when their Yggdrasil starts to reach optimal temperature & doesn't improve sound after that period?

With my Gumby it too 48 hours & it transformed the DAC completely. After having it on just a few hours & the bass was weak, music sounded digital, thin & harsh, but all that went away after having it powered on for 2 days straight.

For the Yggdrasil, I heard anywhere from the same 48 hours, to a week, to 12 days, to a full 2 weeks of having it on constantly to get it to optimal temperature.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #4,601 of 12,283
Can someone tell me when their Yggdrasil starts to reach optimal temperature & doesn't improve sound after that period?

With my Gumby it too 48 hours & it transformed the DAC completely. After having it on just a few hours & the bass was weak, music sounded digital, thin & harsh, but all that went away after having it powered on for 2 days straight.

For the Yggdrasil, I heard anywhere from the same 48 hours, to a week, to 12 days, to a full 2 weeks of having it on constantly to get it to optimal temperature.

I don't remember exactly. I think I got my Yggy, connected it and powered it up, went away for a few days of travel. I listened a bit when I got back but not closely, it sounded pretty good. Then not much for a whole work week, it was just the following weekend that I really paid attention, and was pretty magical then, as it is now as I listen to an excellent new Kevin Eubanks release on Mack Avenue that seems recorded just for my Yggy-based living room system, the band is right here with me. Sometimes I go away on long trips and switch off all of my audio electronics. When I get back, there's a bit of harshness in the first day back, so I don't listen much, I typically am really busy anyway.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,602 of 12,283

I'm assuming you have the Yggy so try it and find out where you think it blossoms and settles out. Maybe 48hrs, maybe a week, ... Does it matter? As long as it's before 30 days if you might want to return it. Obviously it's subjective and most (likely all) of us don't have a scientific way of saying the exact hour/day. i imagine most leave it on and listen when they can so it's even more subjective (pretty sure it sounds better than yesterday .... pretty sure this is as good as it's been ... etc. until you are just enjoying and have a rough estimate of when it peaked)

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #4,603 of 12,283

My Yggdrasil hasn't been off since I got it....well, other than to plug in a Topaz isolation transformer but that was only for about 15 seconds.

But I have read several times that 48 hours is a good amount of time for a burned in Yggdrasil to get back to thermal stability. However, I am not going to test that theory unless I have to....

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #4,604 of 12,283

The notion that the SQ peak and stability is due strictly to thermal conditions is a bit to simplistic.
At least that is what I have observed.

To reach thermal equilibrium should take well under 1 day of operation.
And that it takes ≈ 2-3 days (after full 'break in') or 1 week + (some have claimed several months for it to reach it's full peak SQ) during it's initial break in period, tells me it isn't a matter of reaching optimal thermal conditions.

And granted the Jggy is perhaps an example of an 'extreme' break in, but there is other gear where they claim it takes months or a year (or more?) to full break in (I know of some very expensive speakers like that).
And granted the Jggy isn't a speaker system, still it does take far longer to fully 'settle in' than merely reaching thermal equilibrium.

I have postulated what I believe is going on but I wonder if anyone truly knows.

JJ

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #4,605 of 12,283
What is your postulation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back