Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #349 of 12,283
I will let you know once I get my Yggy . I have a Gungnir and with a warm Anthem amp I like it quite a bit .

I..

I am going to predict you will only need 15seconds to have your answer,
then another 200hrs to be hooked..

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #354 of 12,283
Rough crowd... Lol .. Point taken.then again it depends who is making the sandwich, could taste like Schiit.,lol:rolleyes:

It also depends on the season, nobody I know would eat a sandwich in the spring.

I've got nothing to go on, but my point, that you accidentally(?) reiterated was that it depends on what CD player we're talking. Then it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. There's no objectively "sounds better", but it's possible that the average opinion may be that DAC X has a larger soundstage than DAC Y in ABC CD player. That's possible. But you're really stretching the sandwiches to DACs comparison and not giving anyone any info to help you out in the kitchen with. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #355 of 12,283
It also depends on the season, nobody I know would eat a sandwich in the spring.

I've got nothing to go on, but my point, that you accidentally(?) reiterated was that it depends on what CD player we're talking. Then it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. There's no objectively "sounds better", but it's possible that the average opinion may be that DAC X has a larger soundstage than DAC Y in ABC CD player. That's possible. But you're really stretching the sandwiches to DACs comparison and not giving anyone any info to help you out in the kitchen with. 

Now for my source I'm using a meridian 508.24 CD player and a classe omega Sacd player to a KGST headphone amp and or a Oppo HA-1 dac/amp - KGST with the Stax 009 and the OppoI use LCD 2.2 or Senhisser hd600 - and I was thinking about checking out the Yggy and was wondering if I would get overall better performance from a stand alone Dac from a my IMac/ players...I love the Schiit products. I also have a Lyr2 but never tried one of their Dac's

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #356 of 12,283
TBH, the original question about DAC vs source implied comparable cost which is a totally legit question and one that people asked for years. The cost benefit on separate DAC/Transport was questionable for a very long time. The Quizno's reference is a terrible analogy.

I'd think of your dilemma this way. A transport has quite a few mechanical parts, while the DAC is generally all electronics with little to no moving parts other than controls and will serve you needs regardless of input source (downloaded music, etc). The market for disc players has plummeted so you probably won't benefit from the same economies of scale that used to be tipped in the reverse order. Even if you ignore all that, you're paying for more pieces of the puzzle in a single box, whereas the DAC can have a more dedicated purpose.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #359 of 12,283
Dude, it said they ship at the end of July well before your last post. Alex also stated a few weeks back that because of this and that issue, the 2nd batch would be going out at the end of July.

Patience my friend. Be glad you (so far) have an accurate estimation. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back