Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 26, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #331 of 12,283
http://www.electromod.co.uk/schiit-audio.asp are taking orders and may even have a demo Yggdrasil

That's how I got my demo Yggy for over a week.

Note that the distributer does not have the traditional high end margins, so to cover their costs they charge £20 for the two-way shipping for the demo unit.

The UK price is £2,000.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #338 of 12,283
Hi ygg owners.

A lot of e-ink was spent about that special burrito DSP filter and I was wondering, maybe there was a way to truly test it. According to schiit that is "a digital filter/sample rate converter designed to convert all audio to 352.8 or 396KHz sample rates".
An almost perfect test would be to take a 16/44 track, upsample to 24/352 on a PC (e.g. foobar+sox) and that would (completely?) bypass iggy's DSP filter. A comparison between that playback chain and the same 16/44 track fed directly to the iggy would be a very good way to asses just how much a difference that buritto DSP makes.

Unfortunately iggy only takes 24/192 input. But even so, maybe someone can do the following comparison:
16/44 foobar-upsampled to 24/176 and into iggy
vs.
16/44 directly from foobar into iggy

It should be quite easy to a/b, you just need to enable/disable sox upsampling in foobar. Bonus points if you add some objective blindness to the test (e.g. have a friend enable/disable sox for you and see if that's audible). I'd say that would still be a reasonably good test to tell whether the iggy DSP is indeed mega-burrito, or just good burrito.

P.S.
I guess that someone from Schiit or with good EE skills can still perform the 'true' test with 24/352. Whaddayasay mr baldr, would that be a relevant and interesting test for a headfi meet? And is schiit *that* open and confident about burittos? :)

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #341 of 12,283
Out of curiosity is there anyone out there who likes the Yggdrasil but disliked the Gungnir? Pretty much the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I didn't like the Gungnir and wasn't sure if that was their "house sound". The best analogy I can give is that I thought the Gungnir was the equivalent of old CRT TVs when you turned the sharpness up all the way. You could see everything but there was "too much" detail and it felt unnatural.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #342 of 12,283
Out of curiosity is there anyone out there who likes the Yggdrasil but disliked the Gungnir? Pretty much the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I didn't like the Gungnir and wasn't sure if that was their "house sound". The best analogy I can give is that I thought the Gungnir was the equivalent of old CRT TVs when you turned the sharpness up all the way. You could see everything but there was "too much" detail and it felt unnatural.

I will let you know once I get my Yggy . I have a Gungnir and with a warm Anthem amp I like it quite a bit .

I always felt the Gungnir lacked some resolution ,far from the "too much detail " you are describing .

The Gungnir certainly sounds more natural to me than Benchmark , Audiolab, Parasound and others Dacs I have listened to .

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #343 of 12,283
I will let you know once I get my Yggy . I have a Gungnir and with a warm Anthem amp I like it quite a bit .

I always felt the Gungnir lacked some resolution ,far from the "too much detail " you are describing .

The Gungnir certainly sounds more natural to me than Benchmark , Audiolab, Parasound and others Dacs I have listened to .

I felt the same way about my Gungnir. The Yggy with my warm sound Jolida tube amp has detail in spades compared to the Gungnir. The Yggy is very truthful in its sounds. If the recording is not musical, the Yggy will not sound musical. Whatever comes in, goes out, period.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #344 of 12,283

Out of curiosity is there anyone out there who likes the Yggdrasil but disliked the Gungnir?

I will let you know once I get my Yggy.
I always felt the Gungnir lacked some resolution ,far from the "too much detail " you are describing.

Much appreciated, please report back.

I almost wonder if there is some strange measurable bias in either my gear or my listening preferences that just happened to work against me for that combo. Different strokes for different folks, but I remember a lot of people saying the Mjolnir was the piece that might be a matter of taste, whereas the Gungnir had a generally favorable opinion. Only after I received it did I find a small minority posting similar criticisms that I did. I distinctly remember one person that described the Gungnir as "having too many icepicks". Odd to find so many posts about great M/G synergy only to find the combo harsh to my ears with headphones that are universally considered dark (LCD-3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back