Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #301 of 12,283
  http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649204365-msb-analog-dac-full-stack-with-volume-control-umt-ethernet-input-black-with-analog-dac-power-base/

http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=msb+analog&region=&country_iso=US&site_id=&sold=on

I wouldn't say MSB Analogs are NEVER resold....

In any case, I think it's safe to say one could purchase the Yggy and resell it for about 90% of its' value, especially with demand where it is. Those Analogs aren't relisted near their $8000 price (one went for $4000!)

MSB DACs have always been easy to find used. Just a current dearth at this moment in time. It happens. Best is to not buy the Analog new, or spend a little bit more at around $15k to get a loaded $35k MSB from someone who had buyer's regret. The argument is stupid anyways because there are so few units out there to being with. It's like saying the AMB Gamma 2 DAC is the most awesome thing on the planet because it's hard to find a used one for sale right now at this very moment.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #302 of 12,283
Yup. That is the thing...Schitt sells a large volume of DAC's and amps, so it makes sense some will come up for sale or be returned. They are usually immediately snapped up too, when they're available.

As you said, MSB probably sells 25 DAC's a year and they aren't TOO hard to find on the used market for nearly half the price.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #303 of 12,283
Surprised there were not more people who sold or returned their Yggys. Not everyone is going to like any single piece of gear - and that is a good thing - makes the world more interesting.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #304 of 12,283
But again, I think that goes back to price. $2300 isn't cheap, but it's far less likely to cause buyer's remorse to someone who enjoys it but went overbudget than an $8000 DAC (base price). Their intelligent pricing is one reason Schitt is so far ahead of the game and gaining market share.

An $8000 DAC better be the best damn DAC I've ever heard for me to keep it. A $2300 one doesn't need to be (but it's nice if it is).

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #305 of 12,283
Well red...

I do indeed hope you're able to hear & live w/ other more "TOTL amps & DACs" to compare…  

So you'll realize how much insane BS & hype is still being spewed here… it's truly amazing… especially w/ homemade single driver speakers...

The Yggy is great… it doesn't beat everything out there, by any stretch… ridiculous...

Ridiculous is having a hype troll give me crap. I have never stated the yggy was the best dac ever. I think its in bad form to go to a yggy thread, and tell others the yggy is not good and if you buy one, you have fallen to the evil hype.. Please have a good morning spewing forth you jaundiced agenda, I just wish you would do it on a different thread. Since you will not stop this hype train against the yggy, on a thread dedicated to the yggy, I will just ignore your rantings. And let other more articulate folk defend the yggy from the rants of a hype troll, pushing forth his troll like agenda. Please have a good morning.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #306 of 12,283
Surprised there were not more people who sold or returned their Yggys. Not everyone is going to like any single piece of gear - and that is a good thing - makes the world more interesting.

+1 Well said.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #307 of 12,283
  snip

Keep the chain simple. Limit the number of gain and buffer stages in each device. You are probably running two stages in your preamp and three stages in your speaker amp. Get rid of crap that doesn't need to be there like your preamp. The Yggy's outputs should be hot enough to drive an passive pre or autoformer. Minimize reactive components (caps + coils) in passive speaker x-overs.

Also, consider that you are running a setup that tends to be very different from most people here on HF. One of the secret advantages to headphones is that the signal chains are extremely simple (typically two stage amps, no pre, and no x-over). I don't think a lot of HF'ers realize how resolving their setups are compared to most speaker systems, even expensive ones. Finally, as we say, YMMV. Your personal truth may very well be different from my truth, which may be different from others' truths.
snip

I heartily agree with the simple - direct approach vs. the more complex, 'sophisticated', path.

2 power cables
Low power (≈110 watts total) consumption.

Low power (≤10mW) delivered to produce 90dB+ SPL.

3 total active gain stages, 1 in the DAC and 2 in the amp.
An amp with power bandwidth of 2Hz to 300KHz and an output impedance of ≤ 0.03Ω

No crossover, single transducer with a bandwidth of 5Hz to 55KHz

No need for room compensation of any kind.

Simple, direct, yet incorporating the latest techniques in design and implementation.

JJ

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #308 of 12,283

I've seen that some of the dacs you reviewed scaled a lot with a good usb interface because you bumbed them by quite a few ranks in your list.

Wino tested analog with the new quad usb input, which improves the sound by quite a lot especialy in the resolution department, soundstage, dynamics , etc.

Not saying anything about how the two compare, as i haven't heard yggy yet. Just saying that wino heard something else.

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #310 of 12,283
  LOL… 

You & your Hypemeisters must be getting free Yggys-    

This is just silly. The contributions that Purrin and others have made are much appreciated, compared to a lot of other reviews on this site (and other sites). This is a person who has a reputation for not hyping crap, and calling things as he hears them. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #311 of 12,283

Ridiculous is having a hype troll give me crap. I have never stated the yggy was the best dac ever. I think its in bad form to go to a yggy thread, and tell others the yggy is not good and if you buy one, you have fallen to the evil hype.. Please have a good morning spewing forth you jaundiced agenda, I just wish you would do it on a different thread. Since you will not stop this hype train against the yggy, on a thread dedicated to the yggy, I will just ignore your rantings. And let other more articulate folk defend the yggy from the rants of a hype troll, pushing forth his troll like agenda. Please have a good morning.

Have you seen the hype train for Chord Dave? It's much much more out there especially when it's not even released and people are already singing all kinds of praises and etc.

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #312 of 12,283
I get my Yggy the 1st of July and I'll make my own conclusions .
Based on comments in this thread it does seem a great tube amp or warmer sounding solid state amp( without losing resolution) are the best fits with the Yggy .
Has anyone tried a Yggy with a Ayre AX-7e ? Would that be a nice pairing ?

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #313 of 12,283
Based on comments in this thread it does seem a great tube amp or warmer sounding solid state amp( without losing resolution) are the best fits with the Yggy .

Your downstream electronics are really dependent upon your personal taste, having a very clean and neutral source like the Yggy affords you a wide range of choices downstream. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #314 of 12,283
I did enjoy how my yggy sounded with my lyr2, especially with my NOS telefunken E88CC platinum tubes.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #315 of 12,283
  the MSB quad dsd input is almost in the price of the Yggdrasil.  Not sure about sound quality, but Yggdrasil is definately more VFM than MSB Analog. $ for $.

Don't remember where I said anything anything about price / performance ratio. Just pointing out that purrin hasn't heard analog dac as wino did.

And yes, the quad usb is super expensive, but look at other usb interfaces out there. Actually, yggy seems to be an exception on this market when it comes to price / performance ratio, hopefully an example to be followed by others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back