Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,986 of 12,372
I see Raggy is also on back order.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,988 of 12,372
I didn't want to wait either so I took a B-stock Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. They shipped the next day. The defects in the metal are so minor I'd have to point it out for you to see it. As a bonus, I saved $350 on the pair.

You can always email them and ask if any B-stock are available. That's what I did.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,989 of 12,372
I've been ruminating on adding Raggy to my Schiit menagerie sooner rather than later, but no push on my part as yet as I'm up to my armpits in headphone auditioning and with the latest developments with Ele-opia I'm having a hard time seeing a light at the end of this tunnel. 

But then, nobody ever said being an audiophile was going to be easy.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #2,992 of 12,372
???
Taken from an email from Schiit

Laura
Schiit Audio
Customer Service

Yeah, but the point is that their customer service basically boils down to replying "it'll be ready when it's ready". That's basically the email response I got to a Yggy repair inquiry last winter. Don't expect hand-holding or storytelling to pass the time. And I'm fine with that, since their gear delivers top performance for the dollar; I don't need to be friends with them. Listen to Currawong; it'll all be fine in the end. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,993 of 12,372
I know this has been addressed before, however I still have a question with the pending arrival of my Yggy. With my current Gumby, if using both the Balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) outs of the unit, one of my amps shorts or shunts the input when not in use causing distortion. I have the XLRs going to my main rigs preamp while the RCA connections go into a bedroom receiver.

Anyway, to avoid this issue, can I just split the signal of the XLRs or what? I also tried simply just using both RCA outs of the Gumby but the shorting still occurred. Is there no way of avoiding this issue? My previous PArasound Zdac never had this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2,996 of 12,372
  Repaired Yggy on FedEx vehicle for delivery.
Blood pressure normalizing.

What went wrong with your yggy? I'm thinking of investing in at least one of them when they come back in stock.

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,997 of 12,372
I know this has been addressed before, however I still have a question with the pending arrival of my Yggy. With my current Gumby, if using both the Balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) outs of the unit, one of my amps shorts or shunts the input when not in use causing distortion. I have the XLRs going to my main rigs preamp while the RCA connections go into a bedroom receiver.

Anyway, to avoid this issue, can I just split the signal of the XLRs or what? I also tried simply just using both RCA outs of the Gumby but the shorting still occurred. Is there no way of avoiding this issue? My previous PArasound Zdac never had this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Since the shorting is happening at either your receiver or your main rig, that is the 'source' of the problem.
Any source device doesn't like to have its outputs shorted no matter if its balanced or unbalanced.

So really it's the shorting out of the line level signal as it enters the downstream device (pre-amp/receiver) and not the dac where the 'problem' exists.

That your other dac didn't have a problem with having it's outputs being shorted allowed you to avoid this problem but the Jggy's reaction to having it's outputs shorted is more the norm.

IOW shorting the output of the Jggy will cause this problem and using a splitter is not going to make any difference.

JJ

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,998 of 12,372

Thanks in advance!
You not in use as turned off. Some amps do that as a protection device.

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,999 of 12,372
Since the shorting is happening at either your receiver or your main rig, that is the 'source' of the problem.
Any source device doesn't like to have its outputs shorted no matter if its balanced or unbalanced.

So really it's the shorting out of the line level signal as it enters the downstream device (pre-amp/receiver) and not the dac where the 'problem' exists.

That your other dac didn't have a problem with having it's outputs being shorted allowed you to avoid this problem but the Jggy's reaction to having it's outputs shorted is more the norm.

IOW shorting the output of the Jggy will cause this problem and using a splitter is not going to make any difference.

JJ

That's makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. Apparently I was lucky the last time around with my other DAC:).

Luckily I was able to figure out some workarounds by leaving my other receivers on if I'm using them for various 2nd zone playback etc.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #3,000 of 12,372
  What went wrong with your yggy? I'm thinking of investing in at least one of them when they come back in stock.

I unplugged Yggy for an evening to protect against
storm related power outages.  Next day my usb
enabled streamer no longer recognized the dac.
I hooked up another computer via usb. Still no
dac recognition.  Coax  connection worked fine.
Schiit happens.  Dealing with Schiit warranty
department was EZ.  They were/are attentive
and professional.  Now FedEx, that's another
story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back