Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 4, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,956 of 12,406
  So I bought and sold some gear and needed to rearrange my system. The Yggy was powdered down for less than an hour. Would it likely have cooled down completely and thus need 48hrs to reach thermal equilibrium again or not quite that long?

Should be far quicker than before - 24 hours or so is a fair estimate

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 4, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #2,957 of 12,406
Aug 4, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,958 of 12,406

Should be far quicker than before - 24 hours or so is a fair estimate

Oh hey! Just noticed the response was from you Mike. Just sold my Theta Gen V-A.. man.. that baby was sweet too. Didn't wanna be greedy and keep em both. It'll get used more and , thus , will bring someone else as much audio joy as it brought me. Cheers! Joe

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,959 of 12,406
Are there any sq-related disadvantages in using the RCA unbalanced outputs on the Yggy as opposed to the balanced outputs?  I have the yggy feeding my pre-pro via the XLR outputs in order to service my speakers, but I also have it feeding my Violectric 281 via the RCA unbalanced cables, and i am wondering whether I am shortchanging the Violectric/Headphone connection in any way, sq-wise...  I use the 4-pin balanced out connections on the V281 almost exclusively for headphone listening, so it would be somewhat less than ideal if the sound is at the input point was less than optimal.

The second question is whether there is a good way of splitting the signals from the Yggy's Balanced XLR outs so that they can alternatively be used with either the pre-pro for speakers, or the Violectric V281 for Headphones...

If this second option (of using an XLR splitting connector) is viable, could anyone suggest an appropriate splitter cable?  I have attempted using the type pictured below in a slightly different application, with different components, and it did not work out too well (of course, it is always possible that I may not have used it correctly)... 

Any helpful suggestions would be welcome :

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,960 of 12,406
  Are there any sq-related disadvantages in using the RCA unbalanced outputs on the Yggy as opposed to the balanced outputs?  I have the yggy feeding my pre-pro via the XLR outputs in order to service my speakers, but I also have it feeding my Violectric 281 via the RCA unbalanced cables, and i am wondering whether I am shortchanging the Violectric/Headphone connection in any way, sq-wise...  I use the 4-pin balanced out connections on the V281 almost exclusively for headphone listening, so it would be somewhat less than ideal if the sound is at the input point was less than optimal.

The second question is whether there is a good way of splitting the signals from the Yggy's Balanced XLR outs so that they can alternatively be used with either the pre-pro for speakers, or the Violectric V281 for Headphones...

If this second option (of using an XLR splitting connector) is viable, could anyone suggest an appropriate splitter cable?  I have attempted using the type pictured below in a slightly different application, with different components, and it did not work out too well (of course, it is always possible that I may not have used it correctly)... 

Any helpful suggestions would be welcome :

I suspect it depends more on the performance of the V281 when run balanced vs. single-ended than it does Yggdrasil's output.

I have a couple of amps hooked up to my Yggdrasil right now: Ragnarok and WA5-LE.  The Ragnarok very definitely sounds better driven when fed via its balanced inputs.  With the Woo, which to be clear only has convenience-balanced inputs - it's a single ended design - doesn't seem to sound any different regardless of which output from the DAC that I use.

So if there is a difference, it's very very small.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2,961 of 12,406

I suspect it depends more on the performance of the V281 when run balanced vs. single-ended than it does Yggdrasil's output.

I have a couple of amps hooked up to my Yggdrasil right now: Ragnarok and WA5-LE.  The Ragnarok very definitely sounds better driven when fed via its balanced inputs.  With the Woo, which to be clear only has convenience-balanced inputs - it's a single ended design - doesn't seem to sound any different regardless of which output from the DAC that I use.

So if there is a difference, it's very very small.

I see :  in that case the response of the Violectric to the balanced outputs of the YGGY is actually far better and stronger  than its response to the unbalanced RCA outputs.  I just switched from RCA outputs on the Yggy to the Balanced XLR outputs, and the difference in the results is the type which is dramatic and hits you right in the face and right away... On the RCA unbalanced connection, the Hd800 could get loud pretty fast, but it sounded relatively hollow and "thin."  The Balanced XRL connection has suddenly brought out a lot of meat and heft in the sound... the difference is pretty remarkable... The He-6 sounded better and fuller with the RCA connection, but to make it loud enough, I had dial to up the volume on the Violectric almost to the end of its cycle with gain switches left at the 0db point or unity gain.  With the balancd connection, the He-6 starts getting a little too loud at 12 O'clock (still at unity gain) so I hope that gives some idea as to the relative difference in signal energy as it carried by the two types of connection.

Also, I have decided not to split the balanced signal on the Yggy... I shall just use the Violectric's XLR Balanced line out as a switcher when I want the pre pro to process the signal from the Yggy.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2,962 of 12,406
  I see :  in that case the response of the Violectric to the balanced outputs of the YGGY is actually far better and stronger  than its response to the unbalanced RCA outputs.  I just switched from RCA outputs on the Yggy to the Balanced XLR outputs, and the difference in the results is the type which is dramatic and hits you right in the face and right away... On the RCA unbalanced connection, the Hd800 could get loud pretty fast, but it sounded relatively hollow and "thin."  The Balanced XRL connection has suddenly brought out a lot of meat and heft in the sound... the difference is pretty remarkable... The He-6 sounded better and fuller with the RCA connection, but to make it loud enough, I had dial to up the volume on the Violectric almost to the end of its cycle with gain switches left at the 0db point or unity gain.  With the balancd connection, the He-6 starts getting a little too loud at 12 O'clock (still at unity gain) so I hope that gives some idea as to the relative difference in signal energy as it carried by the two types of connection.

Also, I have decided not to split the balanced signal on the Yggy... I shall just use the Violectric's XLR Balanced line out as a switcher when I want the pre pro to process the signal from the Yggy.

Bear in mind that the XLR outputs will have about twice the output level of the RCA connections, so you'll want to make sure you level-match before making any final conclusions!

With Ragnarok, the whole topology is balanced and it is a compromise to run it single-ended ... so even level-matched there's a definite difference.  No idea about the native topology about the V218, but it's worth checking with matched levels just to be sure!

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,963 of 12,406

Bear in mind that the XLR outputs will have about twice the output level of the RCA connections, so you'll want to make sure you level-match before making any final conclusions!

With Ragnarok, the whole topology is balanced and it is a compromise to run it single-ended ... so even level-matched there's a definite difference.  No idea about the native topology about the V218, but it's worth checking with matched levels just to be sure!

Got it... I indeed, I just read this in the V281 manual: "output level at the balanced output is generally +6 dB higher than at the unbalanced output," which is more or less what you have just said..  Ergo :  Things are a lot less simpler than i initially thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,964 of 12,406
If you want to use the XLR outputs from the Yggy into an unbalanced preamp/headphone amp, you could also use one of these transformer/isolaters: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/pc-2xr/.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,965 of 12,406
Hi, Yggdrasil owners.

I was hoping you'd be able to help me out with something relating to which of two systems at around the same price would be higher fidelity.

option 1: SR-009 + SRM-353X
option 2: SR-L700 + SRM-353X + Yggdrasil

Obviously, the Yggdrasil would sound a lot better than a cheap DAC. So the L700 combo has that going for it, and general consensus is that the STAX amp wouldn't hold back most of its potential. (Whereas nearly all experienced 009 users agree it needs a much more expensive amp to reach its potential.) I'm just not entirely sure whether the 009 paired with the same amp and a cheap DAC would still manage to result in higher fidelity audio.

If anyone has insights on this, it would be great if you could click here and vote/comment.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,966 of 12,406
  Hi, Yggdrasil owners.

I was hoping you'd be able to help me out with something relating to which of two systems at around the same price would be higher fidelity.

option 1: SR-009 + SRM-353X
option 2: SR-L700 + SRM-353X + Yggdrasil

Obviously, the Yggdrasil would sound a lot better than a cheap DAC. So the L700 combo has that going for it, and general consensus is that the STAX amp wouldn't hold back most of its potential. (Whereas nearly all experienced 009 users agree it needs a much more expensive amp to reach its potential.) I'm just not entirely sure whether the 009 paired with the same amp and a cheap DAC would still manage to result in higher fidelity audio.

If anyone has insights on this, it would be great if you could click here and vote/comment.

It's Music Alchemist, long time no stax thread. (edit: This is the yggy thread forgot, remember you from the stax thread awhile back, whoops)

SRM-727A apply feedback mod + Gungnir multibit + 007A/l700

That would be my advice, given your inferred budget. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,967 of 12,406
009. KGSSHV. Your choice of budget DAC. Then climb.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,970 of 12,406
Just snagged my first used Yggy tonight! Will be upgrading from a Schiit MB Gungnir. Very excited to hear it! I'll definitely let it warm up for a few days before critical listening.

Wish me luck!

I walked the same path. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back