Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #211 of 12,397

I disagree with this. Differences between DAC can be dramatic.(Especially if you compare your Realtek laptop dac vs a full fledged USB desktop dac)  If you have decent enough speakers/headphones(think HD650 class or Audio Engine 5+/Swan M200 class), you next goal should be looking at improving your DAC and amplification.

As for Gungnir vs Yggdrasil... I leave it to those who have both dacs to give their comments(they can be found in the Yggdrasil impression threads)

still difference between speakers is a lot bigger

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #212 of 12,397
  I can confidently attest that balanced is way better than unbalanced.

That's what I keep hearing and reading so I'm interested in trying how it works for me. I'll try balanced headphones from my Cavalli Liquid Carbon when it arrives and figure out what to do for a balanced DAC later - hopefully after hearing the details of the upcoming Bifrost/Gungnir updates.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #213 of 12,397

Whatever people say on this thread - the difference in DACs are relatively small, compared with -  say upgrades in speakers. So... YMMV.  

This is similar to my own experience when I upgraded from Modi/Magni to Bifrost/Valhalla. It was a lot easier for me to hear the difference between the amps than the DACs. (And yes, I realize it's solid-state vs. tubes.) I don't think that speaks badly of the Bifrost, rather I think it illustrates how good the Modi really is.

Considering that the money that I would spend on an Yggdrasil would buy me a Mr Speakers Ether + (almost) a ZMF Omnia (and the fact that I can easily hear the differences between different headphones) I'll hold off on the DAC purchase until I see the details of the rumored Bifrost/Gungnir updates later this year.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #214 of 12,397
Brief early impression of Yggy, left it on for ~10 days before any listening.   Amp is Matrix M-Stage with opa627 class-A biasing.   Headphone: HD580.

Before Yggy, I had Benchmark DAC1, Eastern Electric Minimax, Anedio D1, D2,  and Lynx Hilo.

First impression was not 'wow, it is so detailed, I need to go through all CDs I have...',  because Hilo is already hyper detailed.   Hilo is a very nice DAC: very smooth, non-fatigue highs yet hyper detailed.  And Hilo is very truthful, everything just flows like clean water.
After careful listening, I found Yggy is more 'focused', more 'precise' than Hilo, yet still non-fatigue.  This is amazing, being more focused, sharper, will easily result in fatigue, but Yggy doesn't have that at all.
I love every aspect of Hilo, except the bass domain.  I believe its frequency response is flat, bass is not lacking, but somehow to the ear some of the 'weight' and 'slam' is not ideal.  Yggy is a big improvement in this domain.
Matrix M-Stage is not a match compared to Hilo's internal head-amp.  Yggy's potential is not reached at all.

44.1 PCM vs DSD
(I have only played back DSD files through Hilo as a reference for comparison.)    44.1 through Yggy does not give you the sound like DSD.
44.1 though Yggy shares more similarity as 44.1 through Hilo.   Clean and clear sound signature.
While DSD through Hilo is very different.   It gives lot more 'phenomenal' 'environmental' sound.   Just personal opinion, it feels like 'warm milk', a bit slowness, too much mids and bass, keeps me wondering is DSD truthful?     I tend to believe PCM is more truthful.  Although DSD gives people the perceptual feeling of having more information.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #215 of 12,397
  This is similar to my own experience when I upgraded from Modi/Magni to Bifrost/Valhalla. It was a lot easier for me to hear the difference between the amps than the DACs. (And yes, I realize it's solid-state vs. tubes.) I don't think that speaks badly of the Bifrost, rather I think it illustrates how good the Modi really is.

Considering that the money that I would spend on an Yggdrasil would buy me a Mr Speakers Ether + (almost) a ZMF Omnia (and the fact that I can easily hear the differences between different headphones) I'll hold off on the DAC purchase until I see the details of the rumored Bifrost/Gungnir updates later this year.

I'm going to give my Bifrost Uber to my dad since I prefer my 90s Theta over it. But when the multi-bit upgrade comes he might think of me as an indian giver if I decide that I suddenly want it back 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #216 of 12,397
Wanted to ask HeadFiers about Yggdrasil and Classical (symphonies played by large phalanxes). How does it compare to DACs like Meitner MA1 or Metrum Hex as some examples ? Also Hugo or TT which define new standards ??

Is Schiit entering into higher level competition market with their last producst like Ragnarok and Yggy ??

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #217 of 12,397
Jun 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #218 of 12,397
  Where is the link plase ? Very interesting.

this was the post where @preproman first talked about comparing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6510#post_11563469

I couldn't find the actual comparison though. perhaps preproman can share his thoughts here or you can PM him. he ended up keeping the totaldac I believe

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #220 of 12,397
Clearly the TotalDAC is a winner since Preproman sold the yggdrasil. Also not the same price.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #222 of 12,397
Since Preproman kept the TotalDac I feel he thinks it is worth 3X the cost of the Yggdrasil.  Reality though is this, a lot of the individuals here on head-fi don't have that kind of a budget to spend on gear. Here is his post with pictures of the two dacs. For me, I'm a satisfied Yggdrasil owner and have no plans to audition any other dac to try and replace it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/5340#post_11598766

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #224 of 12,397
  I had a major issue last night with my Yggy and sound system.  Playing music via USB sounded good on one song and skipped to the next and heavy distortion.  Ouch!  Go to another song and the same massive distortion.   Changed music players from Foobar2000 to JRiver and no change.  Tried a different amplifier with balanced connections instead of single ended and no change.   Powered the Yggy off for 15 seconds then back on and no change - heavy, crackling distortion.  It appears the USB receiver was happy as I could hear the mute relay click on track changes, sampling rate LEDs looked OK, and VCO/ VCXO LED didn't light up.   It was late so decided tackle debugging the next morning and flipped the Yggy power OFF (oh my!).  
Powered the system (and Yggy) back on this morning with the last setup and the Yggy plays normally!? 
confused_face_2.gif
  What the hell!   This is the first issue like this I have experienced so will monitor.   I have the Off Ramp 5 ready to feed S/PDIF into the Yggy as a source input change.

So what does a four week old Yggy sound like being powered up after going cold?  Not as bad as I would imagine thank goodness.   Actually after 30 minutes warm up sounds good!   Nothing like what I experience fresh out of the box.  So power failures are no big deal.    

Dang… that's not cool !!!  

I'd send it back for a check-up… could reoccur or worse yet, blow up other gear maybe...

My Yggy took a few days to 'settle' after powering it off for only 1 hr… ymmv, haha..

When are you coming by btw ??   Gotta hear the set-up while it's here… since she's UP FOR SALE...

David

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #225 of 12,397
  Dang… that's not cool !!!  

I'd send it back for a check-up… could reoccur or worse yet, blow up other gear maybe...

My Yggy took a few days to 'settle' after powering it off for only 1 hr… ymmv, haha..

When are you coming by btw ??   Gotta hear the set-up while it's here… since she's UP FOR SALE...

David

The distorted audio using Yggy USB has not returned.  I think the USB interface (PC -> Yggy) just got in a weird state tracking songs with different sampling rates.  Should have tried to re-connect the USB cable to establish a new session with the PC.  Know better for next time and not too worried about it right now. 

24 hrs after restoring power we are back to normal on SQ.  I did not get the strident, glassy upper range like the first 3-days out of the box.  It appears not only is there a few days warm-up phase but also a long burn-in cycle associated with the Yggy.   At 5 weeks my Yggy is still changing slightly for the better.  Not my imagination as I had the solid state AGD M10 amp connected this morning via XLR and sounded impressive.  It was thin, edgy, and little bass for the first couple of weeks especially with the SS amp.   With SS or tubes the over abundant detail seems in better control as the Yggy matures.          

Good luck on the Yggy sale and hope you find sonic nirvana.  Enjoyed the review.  It may be a while before I can come to Tiburon.  But buy a MSB Platinum and I will be over tomorrow with wine bottle in hand! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back