Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #196 of 12,398
  After reading the posts in this thread I get the impression that quite a few of you have upgraded from Gungnir to Yggdrasil, and I’d like to solicit your advice. I have ordered a Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp and I’m looking for a balanced DAC to feed it. I don’t have any experience with balanced headphone gear and I’m looking to try it out. Gungnir would seeem to fit the DAC bill nicely, but here’s the question: Should I just go straight to the Yggdrasil instead? (Or should I just forget about balanced gear – maybe the difference is too small to notice?) Of course, the Yggdrasil is almost 2.5x the price of the Gungnir, but if I’m going to end up buying the Yggdrasil anyway down the line then maybe I should just bite the bullet (or my wallet, in this case) and buy the Yggdrasil now.

I have read that the audio folk at Schiit Audio have a upgrade ready for the Gungnir, that will have yggy teck built into it. And they plan to use this yggy upgrade for the bifrost too. The gungnir upgrade board is done, and they are working on the bifrost upgrade. So I will wait and see what pans out.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/t-h-e-show-newport-2015-multi-bit-from-multi-schiit/

Everything in the above DAR post is correct.  I had a nice conversation with Jason at T.H.E. Show and he surprisingly spilled the beans to me about Schiit's entire upcoming product line up for the next year!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

But he swore me to secrecy about it, so I will only comment about things that have been revealed by other reputable sources.

So if you are lusting after the Yggy, but can't quite come up with the dough, you can either wait for the Gungnir 2 to come out or buy the current Gungnir and just upgrade it when the option becomes available.

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #197 of 12,398
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/t-h-e-show-newport-2015-multi-bit-from-multi-schiit/

Everything in the above DAR post is correct.  I had a nice conversation with Jason at T.H.E. Show and he surprisingly spilled the beans to me about Schiit's entire upcoming product line up for the next year!  :eek:  :D

But he swore me to secrecy about it, so I will only comment about things that have been revealed by other reputable sources.

So if you are lusting after the Yggy, but can't quite come up with the dough, you can either wait for the Gungnir 2 to come out or buy the current Gungnir and just upgrade it when the option becomes available.

I love my Yggdrasil and can't wait for the Gungnir 2 to be released.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #198 of 12,398
I am praying to my Yggdrasil every morning as I have converted .

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://pre12.deviantart.net/e74b/th/pre/i/2012/363/a/4/yggdrasil_by_carles-d5plsy6.jpg&imgrefurl=http://carles.deviantart.com/art/Yggdrasil-345338574&h=894&w=894&tbnid=xJB9hWVFVoKL0M:&zoom=1&docid=Yfis2YKpOG525M&hl=en&ei=w4hxVelNw6jIBJ3VoPAF&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CCwQMygHMAc

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #199 of 12,398
I had a major issue last night with my Yggy and sound system.  Playing music via USB sounded good on one song and skipped to the next and heavy distortion.  Ouch!  Go to another song and the same massive distortion.   Changed music players from Foobar2000 to JRiver and no change.  Tried a different amplifier with balanced connections instead of single ended and no change.   Powered the Yggy off for 15 seconds then back on and no change - heavy, crackling distortion.  It appears the USB receiver was happy as I could hear the mute relay click on track changes, sampling rate LEDs looked OK, and VCO/ VCXO LED didn't light up.   It was late so decided tackle debugging the next morning and flipped the Yggy power OFF (oh my!).  
Powered the system (and Yggy) back on this morning with the last setup and the Yggy plays normally!? 
confused_face_2.gif
  What the hell!   This is the first issue like this I have experienced so will monitor.   I have the Off Ramp 5 ready to feed S/PDIF into the Yggy as a source input change.

So what does a four week old Yggy sound like being powered up after going cold?  Not as bad as I would imagine thank goodness.   Actually after 30 minutes warm up sounds good!   Nothing like what I experience fresh out of the box.  So power failures are no big deal.    

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #200 of 12,398
  I had a major issue last night with my Yggy and sound system.  Playing music via USB sounded good on one song and skipped to the next and heavy distortion.  Ouch!  Go to another song and the same massive distortion.   Changed music players from Foobar2000 to JRiver and no change.  Tried a different amplifier with balanced connections instead of single ended and no change.   Powered the Yggy off for 15 seconds then back on and no change - heavy, crackling distortion.  It appears the USB receiver was happy as I could hear the mute relay click on track changes, sampling rate LEDs looked OK, and VCO/ VCXO LED didn't light up.   It was late so decided tackle debugging the next morning and flipped the Yggy power OFF (oh my!).  
Powered the system (and Yggy) back on this morning with the last setup and the Yggy plays normally!? 
confused_face_2.gif
  What the hell!   This is the first issue like this I have experienced so will monitor.   I have the Off Ramp 5 ready to feed S/PDIF into the Yggy as a source input change.

So what does a four week old Yggy sound like being powered up after going cold?  Not as bad as I would imagine thank goodness.   Actually after 30 minutes warm up sounds good!   Nothing like what I experience fresh out of the box.  So power failures are no big deal.    

You have angered the Norse Gods!

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #201 of 12,398
confused_face_2.gif

Have you contacted Schiit yet, or are you just waiting to see if things'll fix themselves?

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #202 of 12,398
Powered the system (and Yggy) back on this morning with the last setup and the Yggy plays normally!?  :confused_face_2:   What the hell!   This is the first issue like this I have experienced so will monitor.   I have the Off Ramp 5 ready to feed S/PDIF into the Yggy as a source input change.

I had a similar experience with my Auralic Vega once, it seems that something inside has hung up, I guess that if it's happening once it isn't a big deal (it didn't happened again for me since the ).

Maybe this keeps you a bit more relaxed :wink:.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #203 of 12,398
Quote:

You have angered the Norse Gods!

LOL,  seems I PO'ed someone or something....

Have you contacted Schiit yet, or are you just waiting to see if things'll fix themselves?

No, I haven't as I am waiting for the problem to reoccur.  I work in electronics and you can't fix something that isn't broken.  So monitoring the situation to see if it is really the Yggy or something else.  The more information the better.  Still have 4 yrs 11 mo. remaining on warranty so not worried.   Playing great after powering back on and sounds good with 1 hr warm up.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #204 of 12,398
I have read that the audio folk at Schiit Audio have a upgrade ready for the Gungnir, that will have yggy teck built into it. And they plan to use this yggy upgrade for the bifrost too. The gungnir upgrade board is done, and they are working on the bifrost upgrade. So I will wait and see what pans out.

Most interesting! And kudos to the good folks at Schiit for making this trickle-down technology available to existing owners.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #206 of 12,398
I have had the USB connection bug out when I switch back and forth between various sound applications using the DAC.

I think it's the OS sound or USB stack (OSX 10) getting FUBAR because a reboot fixes it. Thankfully it's not a regular thing and it has never happened while only using a single app.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #207 of 12,398
How would you compare the Yggy to the Auralic Vega?

That's the sad story ... I've been among the first 40 in the order line, maybe among the very first getting the 230V version, and the first in China with a Yggi, but it's still not here as it sticks in customs. Drives me crazy, but it's not in my reach to expedite it.

I'll keep you posted with comparisons as soon as my unit arrived and I'll be able to make comparisons. If everything goes well it'll arrive next week as I've been quested to do the custom clearance this week.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #208 of 12,398
. Quote:
  I have had the USB connection bug out when I switch back and forth between various sound applications using the DAC.

I think it's the OS sound or USB stack (OSX 10) getting FUBAR because a reboot fixes it. Thankfully it's not a regular thing and it has never happened while only using a single app.

Interesting....  If it happens again I am going to reconnect the USB cable and also try S/PDIF for comparison.  Thanks... 

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #209 of 12,398
That's a very good idea.  I should have tried pulling the cable first.

Pulling the USB cable will force a full reset of the PHY and USB driver which might sort things out.  (bonus; it only takes a second or two)

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #210 of 12,398
(Due to planned power outages) I've done the Yggdrasil warm up thing twice now with listening notes...  Yes, it really takes ~3-4 days (for my Yggdrasil) to get to a mostly optimal state running signal through it 24/7. 

No, I don't have a good explanation or root cause beyond some hand waving at thermals and clocks and such.  You're right to be dubious but it seems to be a universal thing with this product reported by the large majority of owners and agreed with by the guys/company that designed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back