Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #166 of 12,304
Reading all these impressions is why I like that Schiit opted for a no-frills utilitarian look to the Yggy to match the Rag. That is the best way to keep the costs down and it doesn't have to look stylish and be made out of cheap plastic when they could make it look boring and out of aluminum casing that is structurally sound. I think this is all known to us by now. (also considering the Yggy looks like a giant honey-i-blew-up the Bifrost kind of thing)

What is important is the inside of the Yggy. There isn't that much casework in other $5000-10k DACs I have seen. Everything looks brilliant inside from the power supply to the separate boards and tidy work inside. Really this is a $5K DAC that isn't going for high fashion awards and audiophools that like shiny things and not sound

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #168 of 12,304
Jun 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #169 of 12,304
Reading all these impressions is why I like that Schiit opted for a no-frills utilitarian look to the Yggy to match the Rag. That is the best way to keep the costs down and it doesn't have to look stylish and be made out of cheap plastic when they could make it look boring and out of aluminum casing that is structurally sound. I think this is all known to us by now. (also considering the Yggy looks like a giant honey-i-blew-up the Bifrost kind of thing)

What is important is the inside of the Yggy. There isn't that much casework in other $5000-10k DACs I have seen. Everything looks brilliant inside from the power supply to the separate boards and tidy work inside. Really this is a $5K DAC that isn't going for high fashion awards and audiophools that like shiny things and not sound

+1 Well said sir.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #170 of 12,304
Everything looks brilliant inside from the power supply to the separate boards and tidy work inside. Really this is a $5K DAC that isn't going for high fashion awards and audiophools that like shiny things and not sound

As I'm the only person that I can recall every making a less than enthusiastic comment about the Yggy aesthetics, I hope that doesn't automatically turn me into an audiophool.

But more importantly, just how many of the 1,800 (approximately) screws does one have to undo to open up the Yggy?
I'd like to have a look inside when my own one arrives. Would I have to undo every screw, or just the ones around the edges?
I ask because I have a natural ability to cause screwdriver scratches at any opportunity, so want to minimise that risk. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #171 of 12,304
  As I'm the only person that I can recall every making a less than enthusiastic comment about the Yggy aesthetics, I hope that doesn't automatically turn me into an audiophool.

But more importantly, just how many of the 1,800 (approximately) screws does one have to undo to open up the Yggy?
I'd like to have a look inside when my own one arrives. Would I have to undo every screw, or just the ones around the edges?
I ask because I have a natural ability to cause screwdriver scratches at any opportunity, so want to minimise that risk. 

And this has nothing to do with changing the fuse right. :) :)

But I commend the questions. I'm also interested if anyone opened one of these yet.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #173 of 12,304
New owners: Now that you've read all the hype and sh** and decided to buy one, any new owner can be a thread champion by opening this up as soon as they get it. And post some instructions. Ok, you can make sure it actually works before you do that.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #174 of 12,304
This is for ygg owners: May I ask if the Yggdrasil will improve with power conditioner? Because power conditioner can improve the background and/or cause a dip in dynamics.

Also is there a difference in sound between the various inputs? coax vs toslink vs aes vs bnc vs USB.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #177 of 12,304

Hahaha once I get my yggy I do plan on swapping out the fuses for Synergistic Research Red Quantum fuses.

Please let us know what the fuse rating is…

I figure it's in the 1 amp range ±.

JJ

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #178 of 12,304
  New owners: Now that you've read all the hype and sh** and decided to buy one, any new owner can be a thread champion by opening this up as soon as they get it. And post some instructions. Ok, you can make sure it actually works before you do that.

This would require turning it off.  
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #179 of 12,304
Jun 3, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #180 of 12,304
  And for recordings, recently I've been listening to Victoria's Magnificat of 1605, on Linn records.
The Linn recording is not of us. But we sang this in the Cathedral many a time and it is transcendent. I challenge you to listen to the opening phrases and not be moved. Lassus and Byrd were also featured with great frequency.

Here it is on Youtube (for completion's sake) but NOT as well sung nor recorded as the Linn version - which is sumptuous, recorded in London in Hampstead, I think. We sang from the back of this picture, in the Apse. Like a giant horn. A once-in-a-lifetime experience, I now realise. The Linn recording, however, comes close to how we experienced the sound - in the body as well as the ears. The material on Decca (and Hyperion, IIRC) was 'voiced' a little differently.

Thanks so much for the further replies and the wonderful recommendation jusbe!  Work has had me scrambling for the last couple of days, but I listened to the opening tracks in my office during a break in the action today, and I am really looking forward to picking up the Linn flacs and hearing the whole album on my main rig as time permits.  Also, thank you for clarifying my confusion about the two Westminsters.  (I know you mentioned DECCA - any chance you were part of the choir when this gem was recorded: http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem-Watkinson-Johnson-Hogwood/dp/B000004CX8 ?) The cathedral looks simply spectacular from the pictures.  I did a little searching after reading your post and stumbled on a live 2014 BBC recording of choral vespers at the cathedral on youtube (with some additional photos), and I totally see what you mean about the Apse.  What an amazing place to get to perfect and experience the majesty of a piece like the Victoria, among so many others.  In reference to your analogy of a horn, it makes perfect sense to sing in a semi-circle from the Apse, rather than, as is common, in lines parallel to the walls of the "Choir."  I will certainly make a point to visit and hear the choir when I am next overseas.  Also loved your comment about recording at night to avoid noise and maximize the long decays.  This has the memories flooding back of what it was like to sing at Chartres, Canterbury and St. Stephens Basilica, among others great churches, which are basically unparalleled state side.  Even for the non-singers, simply attending a concert or service in one of these places, or others like St. Martin-in-the-Fields, if you happen to find yourself in Trafalgar Square, is something every music lover, religious or not, really owes it to him or herself to do.  A great choir, with perfect intonation, singing in this sort of space, will immerse you in overtones you really can feel as jusbe noted.  It is just an incredible privilege to behold.  

In any event, apologies for the OT discussion, and please do let us know what you think if you end up picking up or auditioning a yggy!  I have high hopes that you will hear in it what many of us seem to, and if you root around in the other thread, I believe the designer, Mike Moffat indicated the AES/EBU input was his arguable favorite.  So in the absence of I2S, that should work very well for you.       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back