Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,058 of 12,235
I still find the order to be headphones then amp then DAC -- a Yggy is a great buy, but doesn't change that ordering for me. If you're into analog, then cartridge and phono stage jump above amp. 

Quality digital files, delivered with as little damage as possible to a very good dac, is the foundation of a system with a realistic musical presentation. Downstream components (amps and headphones) can change the "personality" of a system in exciting and fun ways, but can never "correct or repair" damage done to the music signal upstream. Not unlike spending $ for a phono cartridge (properly set up) in a vinyl rig.

IMOYMMV etc.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #2,059 of 12,235
Quality digital files, delivered with as little damage as possible to a very good dac, is the foundation of a system with a realistic musical presentation. Downstream components (amps and headphones) can change the "personality" of a system in exciting and fun ways, but can never "correct or repair" damage done to the music signal upstream. Not unlike spending $ for a phono cartridge (properly set up) in a vinyl rig.

IMOYMMV etc.

Hi  I have the same opinion but say it a little differently.  For me, its always the source first. Digital or analogue its the source first then down steam from there. Of course you don't finish off with el cheap headphone or speakers on the back end of something really nice, that's just common sense.  In fact i like to step even one step further back and start with the recording.  A great recording, to me,  will sound great on any system. I find this to be true for vinyl or digital.   For me the next two are the DAC and preamp. With digital changing so quickly I bought a Yaggi so i wouldn't have to chase the advances and perhaps be the fist to get an upgrade. I didn't disappoint myself. I find it so good it allowed me to rediscover 16 bit. I'm not sure a lesser dac would have done that.  With my current speaker set up I'm about to go onto my third amp (Naim)  because I find it makes more difference than changing the speakers. It also helps I really like my current speakers (Opera).
I find it's important to remember to work on synergies to get best value for you money.  I have found turntable and tone arm,  amp and speakers, amp and headphones, to be the obvious ones. The Dac is like the pillar to my digital system. I am lucky to be able to afford the Yaggi and every thing around it really benefits, in particular my speakers and headphones.  All of my upgrading going forward will be based around that. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,061 of 12,235
That is possible if you stay away from listening to TotalDac/Rockna/MSB DACs for >10 years :). The only assurance to not upgrading your gear is not to listen to gear at a much higher level than the one you own. :)

I'm in agreement with you for the most part.  If you have a budget of say 10k to build an audio system I don't think it makes sense to upgrade to one of those DAC's.  So I think that would be another assurance.

It's hard to know how my audio system will evolve in the next 10 years.  I'm fairly confident that I'll spend 10k in that time to upgrade from my current Speakers, headphones, amps and assorted gear.  Unless I plan to spend significantly more than that, there is no current DAC upgrade that makes fiscal and audible sense to me.  I suppose that could change anyday with the introduction of a new product. 

I would not be surprised if I'm still using the Ygg as my main DAC in 10 years.  I would assume in this scenario, that Schiit will have developed some internal upgrade boards that I would be using.  If I win the lottery in that time, then all bets are off.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,062 of 12,235
you think senns hd6xx k7 series and 400i is enough for this dac?

I haven't heard any of these phones personally.  From what I've read about them I believe you'll hear a significant improvement.  If you were not planning on upgrading from these HP's then a Yggy might not be worth the investment though.

I should clarify that I have very little experience with other gear aside from what I own.  It's a major reason why I don't post my opinion more.  I read everything I can about products to the point where I'm confident in making a purchase.  The best DAC's I have heard to compare it too are the internal Cirrus chip in my Azur 351r and my first generation fiio x5.  Needless to say upgrade was staggering in comparison.

The Yggdrasil delivered every benefit I had read about.  Even a large improvement through my budget Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers that cost me $150.  I have zero regrets about purchasing it with my modest setup.  That is all I can tell you.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with experience with these phones and the Yggy.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,063 of 12,235
you think senns hd6xx k7 series and 400i is enough for this dac?

I think you will find that the Senn HD6xx scales well with high end gear.
While I haven't owned or heard the Yggy, I have owned the HD650 while undergoing DAC upgrades throughout the audio journey.

The difference is noticeable. If I am able to notice differences going from D-S DAC to better implemented D-S DAC, you will no doubt hear a difference going from D-S to a very well made R2R DAC.

I'm one of those that also believe in differences most easily heard in the following order (for headphones):

1) headphones
2) amp
3) dac

But I find it very admirable that Schiit is able to have enough people drooling over their products (namely the Yggy) to re-define the opinion of what affects the sound the most. Bravo!

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,064 of 12,235

Hi  I have the same opinion but say it a little differently.  For me, its always the source first. Digital or analogue its the source first then down steam from there. Of course you don't finish off with el cheap headphone or speakers on the back end of something really nice, that's just common sense.  In fact i like to step even one step further back and start with the recording.  A great recording, to me,  will sound great on any system. I find this to be true for vinyl or digital.   For me the next two are the DAC and preamp. With digital changing so quickly I bought a Yaggi so i wouldn't have to chase the advances and perhaps be the fist to get an upgrade. I didn't disappoint myself. I find it so good it allowed me to rediscover 16 bit. I'm not sure a lesser dac would have done that.  With my current speaker set up I'm about to go onto my third amp (Naim)  because I find it makes more difference than changing the speakers. It also helps I really like my current speakers (Opera).
I find it's important to remember to work on synergies to get best value for you money.  I have found turntable and tone arm,  amp and speakers, amp and headphones, to be the obvious ones. The Dac is like the pillar to my digital system. I am lucky to be able to afford the Yaggi and every thing around it really benefits, in particular my speakers and headphones.  All of my upgrading going forward will be based around that. 

Personally, I agree with this concept.  You still need HP's that are resolving and will scale, but the source music and DAC are the foundation on which to build a system.  Then, move forward to the cans.  The cables would be the last upgrade to consider, if ever.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,065 of 12,235
  Personally, I agree with this concept.  You still need HP's that are resolving and will scale, but the source music and DAC are the foundation on which to build a system.  Then, move forward to the cans.  The cables would be the last upgrade to consider, if ever.

I can definitely agree that cables come far, far after headphones/amps/dacs. My problem with the "source first" mantra is that information loss can occur at ANY point in the chain. Losing X amount of information at the source is no different than losing X amount of info at the headphones -- and when you look at the typical distortion levels of the various components (which is likely to correlate well with information loss), it's going to be headphones then amp then dac. Now if you get into analog, the cartridge and dac are going to have way higher typical distortion levels vs. dacs.

Yes, the "flavor" differences are huge between various headphones, which makes it harder to sort out the "pure" quality differences -- but I'd argue that the quality differences are larger there too.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #2,066 of 12,235

I bought my cables first because they were the cheapest thing I could buy first in January when I had very little excess funds. I bought my Ether Cs next in February because I knew they needed almost 2 weeks of continuous music to break in and sound fabulous. I next ordered my Yggy on 2/11/16 because I figured it would ship and be charged to my plastic after my February Visa bill arrived and mostly, You can stack a Lyr on top of a Yggy, But you can not stack a Rag on top of a poor little old Bifrost.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,067 of 12,235
Now here is solid, practical reasoning! I like it :wink:

and mostly, You can stack a Lyr on top of a Yggy, But you can not stack a Rag on top of a poor little old Bifrost.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,069 of 12,235

I can definitely agree that cables come far, far after headphones/amps/dacs. My problem with the "source first" mantra is that information loss can occur at ANY point in the chain. Losing X amount of information at the source is no different than losing X amount of info at the headphones -- and when you look at the typical distortion levels of the various components (which is likely to correlate well with information loss), it's going to be headphones then amp then dac. Now if you get into analog, the cartridge and dac are going to have way higher typical distortion levels vs. dacs.

Yes, the "flavor" differences are huge between various headphones, which makes it harder to sort out the "pure" quality differences -- but I'd argue that the quality differences are larger there too.

It’s true that the transducer normally affect the overall sound the most in an audio setup. But if you are looking for a non-digital sound from a digital player then a change to a good DAC is the only real solution IMO. No matter how good the headphone, speakers or amp are, if the DAC sound artificial and digital that’s how the music going to sound even with the best speakers.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,070 of 12,235
Do y'all think that the digital stream from a room correction/EQ device can still undergo the Yggy magic?

I am in the process of acquiring a room correction device that has a digital output for the corrected signal.  I'm curious as to whether that would interfere with the Yggdrasil tech and/or sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back