Schiit Valhalla vs Fiio E17 will improve Senn HD600 by how much?
May 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Hey Joseph

What's your budget mate?

BTW - invitation still open for you to pop down the road at any time and come listen to my set-up.  I have the NFB-12, and  a Little Dot MKIV (tubes).  Bring your HD600 down, or you can listen to mine.  if you do come down - bring your E17 - I'd love to hear it + you can listen to my iPod 4+ Arrow combo.

I'll stress again to you - there is no substitute for listening to gear before you buy - the opportunity is there if you want it.  Just pick a weekend.

For those wondering - Joseph lives about 2 hours away from me.

Yo! Yeah 2.5 x 2 hours unfortunately is something I haven't got coz of family kids work etc ... the wife will kill me as I'm 99% immersed in ridiculous sparkling cans around the house when home ...

But it's interesting you got the SS and the tube - frankly, do you notice ANY difference? If someone blindfolded you could you tell 1) they are different amps 2) which one is better

Will definitely let you know if we're at our in laws in invervegas

May 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Yes there is an additional accessory as mentioned already, but just to give you a background on its necessity, it's because it was meant to dock (charge, send analog/receive digital signal, etc) onto the E9 amplifier, and therefore its linout conductors are built in that dock connector, and its 3.5mm meant to provide an input for portable players and output for headphones. As far as good interconnects are concerned, yes they're needed but if the amp you're buying comes with the right cables I say save the cash for now.
As for the E17 being rated up to 300ohm, well, there are a lot of people who've tried different amps rated at whatever their headphone's impedance is, and that isn't the only prerequisite. The Valhalla is of course much more specialized, but whether that is a strength or a weakness is dependent on the cans you intend to use it with, and in this case it's mostly a good match, but be aware that when it presents too much of a contrast to the E17 you might end up asking for amplification that gets you somewhere in the middle. Don't worry too much though, a lot have gone through that and it's the best way to get the feel for what sound each of us really likes.

very wise words ...

the funniest thing is that the e17 + hd600 combo makes my lossless feel like a there's group of people inside my head playing their instruments perfectly but having no "connection" with each other - the detail is incredible, but no soul

but play any mp3 and you feel like you're in a concert with them - the bass is boomy in a nice way, the treble distorted in a nice way, the vocals is projected through an imperfect analogue microphone (every detail coded in defective compression is brought out in a nice summative way - but of course the candidly nice effect won't last i don't think)

weird :)

May 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #18 of 29
I would advise against the HD600-valhalla combo. I had it for several months and there simply was not great synergy with such a warm amp, and I felt like a lot of detail was being lost relative to my other amps (even portables). The Lyr on the other hand drove the 600's very well, and I would definitely recommend it over the Valhalla.

May 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
I would advise against the HD600-valhalla combo. I had it for several months and there simply was not great synergy with such a warm amp, and I felt like a lot of detail was being lost relative to my other amps (even portables). The Lyr on the other hand drove the 600's very well, and I would definitely recommend it over the Valhalla.

Interesting - I really like my HD600 with a warmish tint to the signature (LD MKIV).

What you may have missed is Joseph's comment about the E17 + HD600 ....... "At the moment I am astounded by the detail of the Senn + Fiio but finding it a bit too analytical" ......... sounds more to me that he's actually looking for something warmer and more involving.

Just my take on it.

May 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:
Yo! Yeah 2.5 x 2 hours unfortunately is something I haven't got coz of family kids work etc ... the wife will kill me as I'm 99% immersed in ridiculous sparkling cans around the house when home ...

But it's interesting you got the SS and the tube - frankly, do you notice ANY difference? If someone blindfolded you could you tell 1) they are different amps 2) which one is better

Will definitely let you know if we're at our in laws in invervegas

Hey Joseph

No problem - just letting you know the offer was still there - better than risking the cash.  I know what it's like to be in NZ and relying on descriptions.  I did that with the Shure 940's.  Experience was good - but had to sell them in the end.

OK HD600 - using:
* iPod + Arrow (quite clean flat combo)
* NFB-12 (4x filter) mix of warmth and detail
* NFB-12 + Little Dot (introducing Tubes)

Playing 2 tracks - Alison Krauss & Union Station "Dust Bowl Children) - tends to be bright and crisp // and KT Tunstall "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" - quite an involving song with lots going on and beautiful midrange.

• iPod + Arrow
    Tends to be on the brighter side - with both tracks.  Less involving with the AK&US, but still intimate with KT-T.

• NFB-12
    Vibrant and more "there" with the NFB-12.  More dynamics and texture.  Maybe a slight roll-off on the treble, but still no shortage of detail.  I do believe I could A/B the Arrow and the NFB-12.  There is a noticeable difference.

• NFB-12 & Little Dot MK IV
    Smoother and more intimate.  Still a lot of detail.  Easy to spot difference between Arrow and LD, slightly harder to spot the differences between the NFB-12 and the LD.  The LD does have a 'euphoric' tome to the mids though - it's really hard to explain - all I know is that I like it a lot with the Senns.

Overall it's hard to know what to tell you because I have no idea how the E17 sounds.  Also the differences I'm hearing are enough to know that the cost to satisfaction ratio is worth it to me - but I couldn't say the same for you.  You really have to hear it and decide for yourself.

May 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Hey Joseph

No problem - just letting you know the offer was still there - better than risking the cash.  I know what it's like to be in NZ and relying on descriptions.  I did that with the Shure 940's.  Experience was good - but had to sell them in the end.

OK HD600 - using:
* iPod + Arrow (quite clean flat combo)
* NFB-12 (4x filter) mix of warmth and detail
* NFB-12 + Little Dot (introducing Tubes)

Playing 2 tracks - Alison Krauss & Union Station "Dust Bowl Children) - tends to be bright and crisp // and KT Tunstall "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" - quite an involving song with lots going on and beautiful midrange.

• iPod + Arrow
    Tends to be on the brighter side - with both tracks.  Less involving with the AK&US, but still intimate with KT-T.

• NFB-12
    Vibrant and more "there" with the NFB-12.  More dynamics and texture.  Maybe a slight roll-off on the treble, but still no shortage of detail.  I do believe I could A/B the Arrow and the NFB-12.  There is a noticeable difference.

• NFB-12 & Little Dot MK IV
    Smoother and more intimate.  Still a lot of detail.  Easy to spot difference between Arrow and LD, slightly harder to spot the differences between the NFB-12 and the LD.  The LD does have a 'euphoric' tome to the mids though - it's really hard to explain - all I know is that I like it a lot with the Senns.

Overall it's hard to know what to tell you because I have no idea how the E17 sounds.  Also the differences I'm hearing are enough to know that the cost to satisfaction ratio is worth it to me - but I couldn't say the same for you.  You really have to hear it and decide for yourself.

thanks for that ... very kind of you ... i'm a buy the optimum thing kind a guy - the benefits must justify the costs/hassles. at the moment the e17 is highly portable, and i don't know how much/which amp would be the best for my endorphins - probably will hold off for now (will live on the premise that i don't know what i'm missing out on so i'm not missing anything) ... will get in touch one day and hand over my e17 for you to have a listen ....

i tell you what though, the e17 drives lossless rock like a concert (must be the full spectrum of heavy midrange), and i am enjoying every genre that i used to glance over because of the detail and involvement ... just struggling KT tunstall (and other clean female vocal tracks) which seems to be magnificently presented (at expense of perfect detail) with my MEE A151 buds (close to private function band soundstage) ;p

in the head i'm thinking nfb-12 (all in one! cheap! but will it just give cleaner sound or will it improve the soundstage and timbre fullness) vs valhalla (sounds like something that you either embrace or hate, but it needs DAC, interconnects = $$$ ... might as well get both the HD700 and HD800 instead huh)  ...

i'll stick with my current setup for now i think ... thank you all :)

May 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
thanks for that ... very kind of you ... i'm a buy the optimum thing kind a guy - the benefits must justify the costs/hassles. at the moment the e17 is highly portable, and i don't know how much/which amp would be the best for my endorphins - probably will hold off for now (will live on the premise that i don't know what i'm missing out on so i'm not missing anything) ... will get in touch one day and hand over my e17 for you to have a listen .... i tell you what though, the e17 drives lossless rock like a concert (must be the full spectrum of heavy midrange)

in the head i'm thinking nfb-12 (all in one! but will it just give cleaner sound or will it improve the soundstage and timbre fullness) vs valhalla (sounds like something that you either embrace or hate, but it needs DAC, interconnects = $$$)

for now the vocalists sound magnificent on the MEE A151 + e17 combo (close to private function band soundstage) ... so that's what the e17 can really do

It's really hard to say - as I haven't heard the E17, and you haven't heard the NFB-12.  Compared to the other Fiio combo I had (E7 & E9), I much prefer the NFB-12.  But a lot of people are saying great things about the E17, and if it is a lot warmer than the other Fiio offerings, then you may not see the NFB-12 as a great improvement.  If I ever get to hear one (still trying to get to a US meet one of these days), I'll definitely let you know.

I looked at the Valhalla for a long time before I eventually bought the LD.  The one thing that I was leery with was the comment that it was a very clean amp, and not overly 'tubey'.  As I already have the NFB-12 which is a warmish solid state, I wanted something that was a little more euphonic, and something I was able to tube-roll with.  I have some tubes in transit - so looking forward to playing with that when they eventually arrive.

If I'm going to be up Dunedin way at any stage, I'll give you a yell.

May 12, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 29
i see ... being so analytical i think i'm slowly arriving at the conclusion that the e17 is driving the cans to potential at the volumes i listen at ... and i now believe in burning in coz everything is coming right (yeah probably just in my head who knows ...)

and yeah something tubey might give a different track intepretation but that's for another day :)

....................................................................................................................................................................................................
PS i take everything i said about MEE A151 (was listening to them while falling asleep ... it cannot be compared to HD600)

May 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
very wise words ...

the funniest thing is that the e17 + hd600 combo makes my lossless feel like a there's group of people inside my head playing their instruments perfectly but having no "connection" with each other - the detail is incredible, but no soul

but play any mp3 and you feel like you're in a concert with them - the bass is boomy in a nice way, the treble distorted in a nice way, the vocals is projected through an imperfect analogue microphone (every detail coded in defective compression is brought out in a nice summative way - but of course the candidly nice effect won't last i don't think)

weird :)

Now, when you say the bass is boomy and the treble is distorted like in a live performance, you're probably getting too much EQ effects somewhere. Do you have the E17's sound processing on? Granted, my experience with Alpine's MediaXpander typically makes 256kbps files sound like that, but the boomy bass and distorted treble are only a reality in live music if you're standing too close to the stage or any of the speakers. If you were, say, 30th row dead center, the sound crew was competent enough to mind sound quality as well as pure db's or at least the venue wasn't bad enough acoustically to force too many compromises, it shouldn't sound like that. Even if you make concessions for the fact that modern music isn't necessarily performed in places where Mozart or Wagner prefer to perform, what you're basically recreating in that set-up are the imperfections of modern music performances, as opposed to hearing them as neatly as in a studio. Imagine acoustic live sessions, or even with amps, but you have the drummer and then he's get the amps from teh other instruments and vocals placed in the right spots in front of him - that's basically the general sense of what studio albums (or live session albums) have to sound like.

Now, as for lossless being too detailed but not necessarily great for listening, has a lot to do with :

1) Frequency response - too much treble detail with too little/too flat lower midrange, commonly known as "warmth," that makes voices and instruments have enough "body" and reverb to sound natural.

2) PRAT - Pace, rhythm, attack and timing. This has a lot to do with beats, and basically when you listen to a song (barring those that are too melody-centric, like arias), that basically make you tap your feet or snap your fingers to the music. You can look this up in Hi-Fi glossaries for a more detailed look into the whole thing and the individual attributes, but jsut to give you an idea, try listening to Feist's "One Evening" (lossless) on different gear. On one set-up I had before the beat was just there, while in another the notes overlapped and were trying to compete with the vocals, in my preferred systems the beats initially sound a little loud but very separate from the rest, but immediately begins to fade quickly and is nearly gone by the time the next note comes in. Now, as with any sound characteristics, any system is to be taken as a whole, but apart from the speakers/headphones, the power of the amp relative to the requirements of the speaker/headphones and its slew rate, as well as the slew rate and frequency response of the source (I'm assuming here the amp is and should be transparent enough), determine all of this.

Perhaps the overall sound of your system is due to the more analytical DAC of the E17 workign with an amp that, for the HD650 at least, is inadequate. Just because it has enough power to get loud enough does not mean it has the current and slew rate to match; for one thing, it runs basically off a battery and/or 5v USB, no monster toroidal transformer surrounded by capacitors (as in the overbuilt PSUs on the amps on AMBLabs' site, or most Meier amps), etc. It's not necessarily a bad amp, it was just designed differently - for one, it can fit in your pocket, vs how much desk space a Concerto or Beta22 will need. If you had an IE8 instead of an HD650, chances are you might not be craving for a tube amp, or any upgrade for that matter. Still, did you try listening to classical music on the E17 and HD650? In a good recording this kind of reproduction can be an asset since you might probably be able to pick out where each section of the orchestra is.

In any case what we can draw from your description and assessment is that the Valhalla may be the best choice for you to try out. If you live in the North America, Schiit has a 30-day guarantee, so it's really worth trying it out.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #25 of 29
Is the combo dell xps 15 (model of 2014) with a sennheiser HD 600/650 and a valhalla 2 good enough or do I need a bitfrost 2 extra to complete the set? I listen mainly to classic and jazz.

Or would you reccomend the combo modi 2 uber & magni 2 uber

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #27 of 29
So when my setups would be a dell xps 15 laptop, a HD 600 and a valhalla amp.. Then there is No need for a extra dac? I was wondering what a dac should do in this setup. Is it worth a extra 350 to buy also a bitfrost for example?

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #28 of 29
So when my setups would be a dell xps 15 laptop, a HD 600 and a valhalla amp.. Then there is No need for a extra dac? I was wondering what a dac should do in this setup. Is it worth a extra 350 to buy also a bitfrost for example?

A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter - it converts 11001010101010001101100000101010010101100111 into an analog electrical signal that can go through an amplifier stage and then into transducers that ultimately make the sound. Everything that can play digital music has a DAC in it, including smartphones and tablets.

In practice, the thing is, the real problem with those isn't in the DAC chips themselves, but in how the analog signal after the DAC is dealt with. A lot of devices have a built-in DAC and headphone driver in one chip, while others have a single output for both headphones and amplifiers (like most PC outputs, where technically hooking them up to PC speakers is still hooking them up to an amp, it's just that the amp is built into the speakers). So basically, a DAC is only really necessary if you're also using an amplifier (hence, in terms of convenience, there are also DAC-HPamps units).

As for whether it's worth spending $350 for, what you really need to consider is whether you need that many inputs, and whether you need USB. The Bifrost only has SPDIF, USB input stage is $99 extra, so technically you're looking at $450 if that's what you need for the input. If you really, really need USB, I personally would be happy enough with the Modi; if you need just one optical SPDIF input, go with the Modi's optical version; if you need both types of SPDIF and maybe one USB input as well, by all means get the Bifrost. At that point even if you can't hear the difference or not enough, at the very least you were able to hook up all of your sources. If you're OCD though and want to see your amp and DAC using the same same chassis and neatly stacked on each other, then that's good enough reason to get the Bifrost. Although of course you could go with the Modi and Vali.

BTW...I see this too often...it's not Bitfrost, just Bifrost. As in the magical rainbow bridge that connects Asgard to the other realms, including Midgard, guarded by Heimdall, the whitest of the Gods. In the Marvel flicks, it looks like ice and vapor instead of a rainbow (it does change color at some point), and Heimdall is...errr...no longer the whitest of the Gods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back