Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #916 of 972
I'm flip flopping between a significant DAC upgrade from the Modius to Yggy in my 2 channel set up and whether this should be an OG or a LIM. I have a pair of Magnepan LRS to pair it with. Not sure which way to go given the relative strengths of each, and as I live in the UK there's no stock or easy returns for an opportunity to audition.

Opinions welcome.

My stumbling thoughts so far... Would the reportedly less extended highs of the LIM work better with the Maggie's? Does the OG have more bass slam that will assist the bass capabilities of the Maggie's? Or does the LIM have better control/grip of the bass that will shine through with the LRS?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #917 of 972
I'm flip flopping between a significant DAC upgrade from the Modius to Yggy in my 2 channel set up and whether this should be an OG or a LIM. I have a pair of Magnepan LRS to pair it with. Not sure which way to go given the relative strengths of each, and as I live in the UK there's no stock or easy returns for an opportunity to audition.

Opinions welcome.

My stumbling thoughts so far... Would the reportedly less extended highs of the LIM work better with the Maggie's? Does the OG have more bass slam that will assist the bass capabilities of the Maggie's? Or does the LIM have better control/grip of the bass that will shine through with the LRS?
Don’t have the LIM, but I have an OG (Yggy GS) using with Tyrs on some 1.7s and I love the setup.

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #918 of 972

Opinions welcome.

My 72 year old ears are unable to hear differences between DACs. However, I'll happily share what works for me.

I have the Magnepan .7s and augment the low end with a pair of SVS SB-1000 subs.
The coaxial output of a Bluesound node feeds the input of my Gungnir Multibit ( OG ). Balanced outputs from the Gungnir feed a Freya S. RCA outputs from the Freya feed the inputs of the subs which have an 80 hertz high pass filter. Outputs of the subs feed 80 hertz and above to a single Vidar, and then on to the .7s.

I'm very satisfied with the performance if this setup.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #920 of 972
Please explain clearly how this is possible.

If your system is revealing enough, the difference between a middle of the run modius and yggdrasil is VERY noticeable volume matched and even blind IMHO

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #921 of 972

Opinions welcome.

I've tried both on my bedroom system - yggy og (GS); and bifrost multi-bit. This was on a system that started with a Sonos connect to Saga+ to Vidar to Magnepan LRS. To my ears, not a huge difference between the dacs. The yggy moved to my headphone system where its impact was more significant. On the LRS system, huge impact when I swapped out the Saga+ / Vidar for a Prima Luna Evo 100 integrated. That was huge. I will say, any multi-bit DAC is much better than what Sonos provided thru it's own internal DAC. Finallly, for me, exchanging the Sonos for the Bluesound Node also improved the quality as well - in both dacs and on both systems.

So tl;dr -- Source matters. Schiit Multibit matters. (Tube) Amplifier matters a lot! I didn't think the LRS would work well with the Prima Luna (a relatively low power tube amp); but for reasonable listening levels, it's just fine, and to my ears a whole lot more satisfying.

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #923 of 972
SS change to a Tube preamp matters a lot more than the DAC change IMHO.
Agree. Started my adventure with SS headphone system (Jotunheim OG) and it sounded excellent. Upgraded headphones, dac, and source and each piece made a nice improvement. Then found my way to tubes. That has been nothing short of amazing. Breathtaking improvement.

Shaking my head because because SS is typically more accurate, less noisy, lower distortion, etc.

The Jotunheam and Vidar are excellent amplifiers, and my sons are going appreciate them.

For me, the tubes add some sort of magic to the mix. I remember the hum and noise from the 60's-era tube consoles and receivers. None of that is present now. To my ears, modern tube amps like the DNA and Prima Luna are far more satisfying in every way.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #924 of 972
Here's a something I'm noodling...

Getting a set of active speakers (I'm eyeing some Janszen compacts: https://janszenaudio.com/products/carmelita-active) and, instead of using the onboard DAC use a Modi MB (don't like DS DACs). Would that work well despite the onboard A/D-xover-D/A?

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #925 of 972

Getting a set of active speakers (I'm eyeing some Janszen compacts: https://janszenaudio.com/products/carmelita-active) and, instead of using the onboard DAC use a Modi MB (don't like DS DACs). Would that work well despite the onboard A/D-xover-D/A?
Given the price of those speakers, I would hope that the onboard A/D etc is of a very high standard, in which case it should reflect the qualities of any source connected to the analogue inputs. Hopefully they have a good return policy, so you can try before you buy.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #926 of 972

What exactly did you have in mind? Open up the speakers and somehow modify their internal electronics? The onboard DAC is probably integrated on a circuit board along with other electronics and it won't be like simply reconnecting a few cables.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #928 of 972
Given the price of those speakers, I would hope that the onboard A/D etc is of a very high standard, in which case it should reflect the qualities of any source connected to the analogue inputs. Hopefully they have a good return policy, so you can try before you buy.
True.
What exactly did you have in mind?
I can see clarity was a bit lacking in my post :wink: I'm simply thinking of connecting the Modi MB to the analog input (RCA) rather than use the onboard DAC via one of the digital inputs.
What makes you think there's an onboard DAC? They probably convert the PCM stream to PWM in the final stage. No analog.

JC
Is that to me or @rkw?

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #930 of 972
What makes you think there's an onboard DAC? They probably convert the PCM stream to PWM in the final stage. No analog.
I was going under the assumption that they would use a DSP+DAC chip feeding an off-the-shelf class D amp module. You said they "probably" do PCM to PWM, so is that type of amp common now in consumer audio products?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back