Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Feb 18, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #901 of 972
If you didn't have the vidar you could get the aegir and see if one worked. Seems a bit much equipment for mini's ... but if it works for your set up go for it. I'd say just go two Vidar ...
Vidar in mono for mini Maggies is serious overkill. I like where your head's at but man! :-D

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #902 of 972
I'm thinking of buying a Schiit Aegir to go with Triton 7s and a Rythmik F12G sub. At least in my experience so far, using high level inputs on the sub has been the best way to get subs to integrate well. Has anyone used a sub with an Aegir wired up that way? Just want to make sure I wont run into any issues.

Feb 24, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #903 of 972
I'm thinking of buying a Schiit Aegir to go with Triton 7s and a Rythmik F12G sub. At least in my experience so far, using high level inputs on the sub has been the best way to get subs to integrate well. Has anyone used a sub with an Aegir wired up that way? Just want to make sure I wont run into any issues.
I have an Aegir driving Omega Super 7s and a REL T/5x using the high level inputs. The subwoofer integration is wonderful. I get the illusion of full range sound from my monitors. :)

The REL integration is much better with the high level inputs than when using the line level input.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #904 of 972
Freya S system for stereo and TV in a small space

I just downsized homes to a 950 sq ft condo with floor to ceiling glass walls, odd angles, concrete pillars and an HOA rule not to exceed 85 decibels. I asked advice from an audio engineer friend and his reply was "headphones" - Ha!

I did a ton of research and then listened to dozens of speakers at several HiFi shops. A salesman told me that he has many speakers at home but his favorite for the TV room is the Revel Concerta2 M16's. I compared them in shop to several front runners and immediately liked them so I took them home. They have an oval wave guide that spreads the sound out to a wider area as opposed to a sweet spot for a single listener. Absolute Sound review here.

Listening position is 8 1/2' from the speakers which are sitting on a media console 12" from the wall and 6' apart. I started off using them with a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC and a repurposed Peachtree integrated as a preamp and an XTZ Edge A2-300 class D power amp to give the Revel's a little kick in their aluminum woofers. The amp needs to reside inside the media cabinet so heat is an issue. The Edge gets great reviews online and in addition to running cool, it powers on when it detects a signal and powers off when no signal is present. Perfect for inside the cabinet.

I was generally happy with the sound but I could tell that I wasn't getting the last bit of sonic sparkle and detail that these speakers were capable of producing. I decided to replace the Peachtree with a straight preamp. I've been interested in the Schiit Freya preamps for a while so I ordered a Freya S. I was looking for absolute clarity from TV dialog and engaging musicality for streaming audio and CD's and thought the solid state would serve me better than tubes. Also, the tubes on Freya + stick up and would hit the bottom of the TV where it overlaps a bit. Wow! The difference in using a preamp instead of an integrated receiver was huge. I've never had a separate preamp before and feel like I've been missing out all these years. The sound is meaty and clear with a nice soundstage.

A0BDA9BE-4DF2-4A01-B6AA-4BF2EA8040E4.jpeg

Seeing how far I could take this relatively affordable system I decided to upgrade to all Wireworld cables based on conversations with thecableco.com about my gear. TV and streaming are handled by an Apple TV 4K via HDMI to the TV and Toslink optical from TV to the Bifrost 2. The first cable I added was the Wireworld Supernova 7 to replace a 25 year old Radio Shack plastic cable I had laying around. This was a pretty significant SQ boost as it should be when going from a $10 cable to a $200 one. It was worth every penny.

I already had a pair of Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA cables that I used from the Bifrost to the Freya but I moved them to the Freya output going to the amp and put in a pair of Oasis 8 XLR interconnects. I wasn't expecting much of a change but it really opened up the soundstage.

Next up was to replace my 10 year old Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables from RAM Electronics with Oasis 8 speaker cables. This was one of the biggest SQ jumps. I'd say about as big of a difference as the Peachtree to the Freya S. Highly recommend.

Through thecableco.com lending library, I also tried out the Wireworld Stratus 7 power cable - hoping it wouldn't do anything so I could send it back. Using it on the Edge amp it really refined the sound and gave a noticeable SQ boost. I would be bummed out about spending the extra cash on a power cord but it sounded so good in place I got over it. They recommend 2 meters to get the full power conditioning but I couldn't stand the extra cable spooled on the ground considering that I really only needed a foot to go from the amp to the wall receptacle directly behind it. I ended up going with the next cable up in a shorter length ( Aurora 7) and it performed just as well if not a smidge better.

I am super happy with this stereo set up and could live with it for a long time. But that's not how this works is it? If I had known I would be using the Freya when I bought the amp I would've chosen the Edge A2-400 with XLR inputs. That will be my next upgrade unless I go with the PS Audio S300 which also has XLR inputs. I also wouldn't mind upgrading the Bifrost to the Gungnir to match the case size of the Freya and the upcoming Urd CD transport for a lovely matching stack.

Bottom line is that if you are trying to set up a dual purpose TV/stereo system, the Schiit Freya S is something you should be considering. It sounds amazing even in a difficult room.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #905 of 972

I just downsized homes to a 950 sq ft condo with floor to ceiling glass walls, odd angles, concrete pillars and an HOA rule not to exceed 85 decibels. I asked advice from an audio engineer friend and his reply was "headphones" - Ha!

I did a ton of research and then listened to dozens of speakers at several HiFi shops. A salesman told me that he has many speakers at home but his favorite for the TV room is the Revel Concerta2 M16's. I compared them in shop to several front runners and immediately liked them so I took them home. They have an oval wave guide that spreads the sound out to a wider area as opposed to a sweet spot for a single listener. Absolute Sound review here.

Listening position is 8 1/2' from the speakers which are sitting on a media console 12" from the wall and 6' apart. I started off using them with a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC and a repurposed Peachtree integrated as a preamp and an XTZ Edge A2-300 class D power amp to give the Revel's a little kick in their aluminum woofers. The amp needs to reside inside the media cabinet so heat is an issue. The Edge gets great reviews online and in addition to running cool, it powers on when it detects a signal and powers off when no signal is present. Perfect for inside the cabinet.

I was generally happy with the sound but I could tell that I wasn't getting the last bit of sonic sparkle and detail that these speakers were capable of producing. I decided to replace the Peachtree with a straight preamp. I've been interested in the Schiit Freya preamps for a while so I ordered a Freya S. I was looking for absolute clarity from TV dialog and engaging musicality for streaming audio and CD's and thought the solid state would serve me better than tubes. Also, the tubes on Freya + stick up and would hit the bottom of the TV where it overlaps a bit. Wow! The difference in using a preamp instead of an integrated receiver was huge. I've never had a separate preamp before and feel like I've been missing out all these years. The sound is meaty and clear with a nice soundstage.

Seeing how far I could take this relatively affordable system I decided to upgrade to all Wireworld cables based on conversations with thecableco.com about my gear. TV and streaming are handled by an Apple TV 4K via HDMI to the TV and Toslink optical from TV to the Bifrost 2. The first cable I added was the Wireworld Supernova 7 to replace a 25 year old Radio Shack plastic cable I had laying around. This was a pretty significant SQ boost as it should be when going from a $10 cable to a $200 one. It was worth every penny.

I already had a pair of Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA cables that I used from the Bifrost to the Freya but I moved them to the Freya output going to the amp and put in a pair of Oasis 8 XLR interconnects. I wasn't expecting much of a change but it really opened up the soundstage.

Next up was to replace my 10 year old Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables from RAM Electronics with Oasis 8 speaker cables. This was one of the biggest SQ jumps. I'd say about as big of a difference as the Peachtree to the Freya S. Highly recommend.

Through thecableco.com lending library, I also tried out the Wireworld Stratus 7 power cable - hoping it wouldn't do anything so I could send it back. Using it on the Edge amp it really refined the sound and gave a noticeable SQ boost. I would be bummed out about spending the extra cash on a power cord but it sounded so good in place I got over it. They recommend 2 meters to get the full power conditioning but I couldn't stand the extra cable spooled on the ground considering that I really only needed a foot to go from the amp to the wall receptacle directly behind it. I ended up going with the next cable up in a shorter length ( Aurora 7) and it performed just as well if not a smidge better.

I am super happy with this stereo set up and could live with it for a long time. But that's not how this works is it? If I had known I would be using the Freya when I bought the amp I would've chosen the Edge A2-400 with XLR inputs. That will be my next upgrade unless I go with the PS Audio S300 which also has XLR inputs. I also wouldn't mind upgrading the Bifrost to the Gungnir to match the case size of the Freya and the upcoming Urd CD transport for a lovely matching stack.

Bottom line is that if you are trying to set up a dual purpose TV/stereo system, the Schiit Freya S is something you should be considering. It sounds amazing even in a difficult room.

Careful friend, cables are a perilous topic here. Some will say that you have succumbed to expectation bias. Others will tell you that Wireworld cables sound better. Count me in the latter category, and congrats on the upgrade.

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #906 of 972
I'll be moving to a condo w/HOA soon. Dunno what I'll be doing for HT and 2ch :tired_face:

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #907 of 972

You're lucky, 85 decibels is pretty loud.

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #908 of 972
You're lucky, 85 decibels is pretty loud.
Agreed. I don't usually listen any louder than that. It's actually good that it's spelled out in a measurable way in case someone complains. Otherwise it's just a noise complaint that you are being too loud which is up for interpretation.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #909 of 972

See recent Sound & Vision magazine article about a condo home theater install for some ideas.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/media-room-insider-apartment-theater

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #910 of 972
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #911 of 972
My order is in.

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #912 of 972
The Vidar powers my Mini Maggies beautifully. Now, placing of the Mini Maggies is quite a challenge.

At the moment, they are about 4' from the wall, on "stands" about 3-4' high and many feet from the side walls. The DWM is on the floor between them.

I'll have to measure that "stand" so as to order a reasonably price actual speaker stand. Any suggestions? Mye Sound stands are WAY out of my price range.

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #913 of 972
The Vidar powers my Mini Maggies beautifully. Now, placing of the Mini Maggies is quite a challenge.

At the moment, they are about 4' from the wall, on "stands" about 3-4' high and many feet from the side walls. The DWM is on the floor between them.

I'll have to measure that "stand" so as to order a reasonably price actual speaker stand. Any suggestions? Mye Sound stands are WAY out of my price range.
I'm no master woodworker by any means, but when I had MMGs I made some solid oak "T" stands out of 2x2 and painted them black to match. They probably raised them up by about 10 inches. Gave a taller image but you may lose a little bass.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #914 of 972

I'm trying to picture this. Do you have a desk out in the middle of the room? Or are you not setting them up for desktop nearfield?

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #915 of 972
I'm trying to picture this. Do you have a desk out in the middle of the room? Or are you not setting them up for desktop nearfield?
I am not using them for desktop nearfield at the moment. Primarily because I'm in the middle of a move and I don't have a desk!

I have them set up in a mostly empty, carpeted room, maybe 15x20. When I need a break, I sit in the sweet spot. Enjoying it while I can, as the setup will totally be impossible when the furniture arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back