Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #886 of 972
The SVS subs have a high pass output that allows the Aegirs to only "see" anything above 80 hertz. The Aegirs loaf along driving the Harbeths , that never fall below 5.8 ohms.

Before the SVS subs I never knew what I was missing below 80 hertz. Now, I could never live without them.
Good to hear! I am very tempted to buy a pair of SVS SB 1000 Pro. The price is reasonable and they have an app to control them so I can dial them in from my listening chair.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #887 of 972
For 2ch, it's hard to beat dual subwoofers. One of mine has started to wheeze so I'll need to replace them soon.

So many choices in subwoofers gives me analysis paralysis.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #888 of 972
My system is similar:

Bluesound Vault->
Gungnir OG->
Freya OG->
SVS SB 2000 subs, pair->
Dual Aegirs->
Harbeth 40th Anniversary 30.2s

The SVS subs have a high pass output that allows the Aegirs to only "see" anything above 80 hertz. The Aegirs loaf along driving the Harbeths , that never fall below 5.8 ohms.

Before the SVS subs I never knew what I was missing below 80 hertz. Now, I could never live without them.
Wow if only there were a similar sub with a high pass filter that accepted XLR / balanced. I’m not sure I understand how you’re running dual Aegirs fed from the SE ins? (Looked at the manual and the SVS seem to only have SE outs)? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #889 of 972
Just wanted to report on finding steam system synergy. Had been running
Roon ->
Pi2AES ->
Yggdrasil LIM ->
Freya+ (with Sylvania 6SN7 “bad boys”) ->
Dual monoblock Aegirs ->
KEF LS50’s

Which I thought I loved (even though it occasionally sent the Aegirs into protection mode when played too loud), but just replaced the KEFs with the new KLH Model 5’s in walnut. Wow. What a wonderful pleasant synergy. Joyous bass - not too much but so darn controlled. Vocals just a hair more present, especially female vocals whether Ella in Berlin or Madeline Peyroux. They can rock - Built to Spill or Interpol - haven’t heard all the layers in ages. So nice. And to boot, the Aegirs are barely cracking a sweat. Not warm to the touch after hours. Good gosh, this is a match made in, well, somewhere nice.
Pretty sure LS50s dip down to 4ohm and below, even if they're rated higher. That's why you were going into protection mode when running them. Saw another thread with a similar post as yours with LS50s.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #890 of 972
Wow if only there were a similar sub with a high pass filter that accepted XLR / balanced. I’m not sure I understand how you’re running dual Aegirs fed from the SE ins? (Looked at the manual and the SVS seem to only have SE outs)? Thanks.
Pretty sure he'd be running the Aegirs from the XLR outs of the Freya and then the subs from the RCA outs on the Freya.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #891 of 972
Actually I 'm cheating. I'm running the RCA high pass outputs of the SVS into the RCA inputs of a Magnius, then from the XLR outputs of the Magnius to the Aegirs. Works a treat.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #892 of 972

For a slightly higher price, you can get a pair of Rythmik 12" subs outfitted in RCA/XLR or just XLR in/out configurations. Some people consider them among the most musical of subwoofers.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #893 of 972
For 2ch, it's hard to beat dual subwoofers. One of mine has started to wheeze so I'll need to replace them soon.

I would power down that one ASAP before the plate amp totally fails and takes out the woofer voice coil. then contact the mfr of the sub (if still in business) about a replacement plate amp (or find a local electronics tech to re-cap the wheezing plate amp)

Jan 14, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #894 of 972

IMG_1247.JPG
Since I've got my Cornwall IVs, I only turn the subs on when I'm watching a movie. For music, it's hard to beat the speed and cohesiveness of running true full range speakers.

Once I figured out the right placement in my room, the bass from these speakers is absolutely perfect. Fast, textured, detailed and impactful. Never bloated or boomy.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #895 of 972
I would power down that one ASAP before the plate amp totally fails and takes out the woofer voice coil. then contact the mfr of the sub (if still in business) about a replacement plate amp (or find a local electronics tech to re-cap the wheezing plate amp)
It's a passive sub so no plate amp worries. I think I've sent the darn thing in at least twice. I have disconnected it.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #896 of 972
For music, it's hard to beat the speed and cohesiveness of running true full range speakers.
Definitely true! In my room, my speakers go down to 20Hz, which is great. The subs add a bit of kick that I enjoy.

For example. drums sound good without the subs but the attack (or improved "impulse response") with properly phase aligned subs adds a delightful (to me) thrill. And bass guitar, oh my!

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #897 of 972
Feb 17, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #898 of 972

Users who are viewing this thread

Back