Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Mar 16, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #811 of 972
Thanks. A follow-up question; if I need a separate amp for the DWMs to spare the Vidars, is it a requirement that I use an amp that has the same power envelope as the Vidars, ie something at 400W@8ohm?
Well, the power should probably complement the Vidars, but the more important spec to match is the Gain of the amp. If the amp is of a different gain than the Vidars, then the sound volume won't match (e.g., the increase in perceived loudness for the main panels will not match the DWMs when you turn the volume knob up.)

Gain is the voltage multiplier provided by the amp, usually expressed as dB. In other words, if you input 1V, gain will tell you how many volts will be generated at the speaker terminals.

The Vidar's gain is 27dB (or 22x), so you'd need to find another amp which provides that. If you find an amp with higher gain, then you'll need a way to reduce the signal slightly at the amp input (e.g. a SYS or similar just prior.) This is in addition to any volume control provided by a preamp or DAC.

Quad Vidars, maybe? :wink:

Alternately, if you're not wedded to the DWMs and are willing to look at powered subwoofers, most (all?) powered subwoofers have a gain control built in - but I'd understand the reluctance to go with something other than DWMs in this case.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #812 of 972
Well, the power should probably complement the Vidars, but the more important spec to match is the Gain of the amp. If the amp is of a different gain than the Vidars, then the sound volume won't match (e.g., the increase in perceived loudness for the main panels will not match the DWMs when you turn the volume knob up.)

Gain is the voltage multiplier provided by the amp, usually expressed as dB. In other words, if you input 1V, gain will tell you how many volts will be generated at the speaker terminals.

The Vidar's gain is 27dB (or 22x), so you'd need to find another amp which provides that. If you find an amp with higher gain, then you'll need a way to reduce the signal slightly at the amp input (e.g. a SYS or similar just prior.) This is in addition to any volume control provided by a preamp or DAC.

Quad Vidars, maybe? :wink:

Alternately, if you're not wedded to the DWMs and are willing to look at powered subwoofers, most (all?) powered subwoofers have a gain control built in - but I'd understand the reluctance to go with something other than DWMs in this case.
You might well jest about a second pair of Vidars, however when I look at options from a vendor like Emotiva I see the following:

BasX-A300 rated at 150/300W, 29db Gain, $399
XPA-2 Gen3 rated at 300/490W. 29db Gain, $999
XPA HC-1 (mono) rated at 300/600W, 29db Gain, $1400 ($699 x 2)

Which places a second pair of Vidars well within (theoretical!) range:

Schiit Vidar (mono) rated at 400/??, 27db Gain, $1400 ($699 x 2)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #813 of 972
Has anyone used a Saga+ effectively as a tube buffer since it doesn't have balanced outs?

I have a bimby - - Saga+ (with a tung sol tube I like) - - 1 aegir - - Buchardt S400s. Much of my listening is near field so I've been getting by with a single aegir even though the pot is past 12 o'clock for even fairly quiet listening. I'm finally looking to get a second aegir to run mono for these speakers - they really need it. (BTW, at low volumes this amp makes these speakers sound so beautifully, getting really close to what I've been looking for)

I do have a Jot (v1) but I greatly prefer the Saga with this tube vs. the Jot (even on low gain) as a pre.

Am I crazy to consider running bimby - - Saga+ (full volume so it's line rate, as Saga doesn't apply any gain) - - Jot (single ended in, balanced out) -- dual aegirs. Has anyone tried pulling such shenanigans? (hoping to keep that Saga/tube fullness)

(some might just be saying "dude, just get a Freya+ and be done" but I'm avoiding throwing more money at a pre🙂).

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #814 of 972
You might well jest about a second pair of Vidars, however when I look at options from a vendor like Emotiva I see the following:

BasX-A300 rated at 150/300W, 29db Gain, $399
XPA-2 Gen3 rated at 300/490W. 29db Gain, $999
XPA HC-1 (mono) rated at 300/600W, 29db Gain, $1400 ($699 x 2)

Which places a second pair of Vidars well within (theoretical!) range:

Schiit Vidar (mono) rated at 400/??, 27db Gain, $1400 ($699 x 2)
Well...this might be complicated by the fact that you would need a second set of XLR outs to drive two additional Vidars...while there are many preamps that have both XLR and RCA outputs, I'm not that familiar with many that have two sets of XLR outs...

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #815 of 972
Well...this might be complicated by the fact that you would need a second set of XLR outs to drive two additional Vidars...while there are many preamps that have both XLR and RCA outputs, I'm not that familiar with many that have two sets of XLR outs...
yep, I'm using a freya+, so would have to use an XLR Y cable to split the balanced out in the 2 + 2 Vidar scenario...

sigh!

:wink:

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #816 of 972
yep, I'm using a freya+, so would have to use an XLR Y cable to split the balanced out in the 2 + 2 Vidar scenario...

sigh!

:wink:
There’s enough chatter in the system to suggest that Schiit is working on extending their Vidar/Aegir line of amps, so my preference would be to at least wait and see whether what they come up with helps with this issue. In the meantime would something like the Emotiva BasX A300 above tide me over or would it be too poor a match? If the latter, I’ll probably just go with a Crown Class-D amp such as the XLS1502

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #818 of 972
No help - sorry!
Even before I have to deal with the issue of a separate amp to the Vidars,
:)
I do believe I have some choices to explore and measure (using REW/UMIK and my ears!):
  1. Dual Vidar Mono, DWMs wired in parallel with pass-through to mains (as per Magnepan)
  2. Dual Vidar Mono, DWMs and Mains fed independently (no pass-through)
  3. Single Vidar Stereo to mains and 2nd vidar stereo to DWMs
  4. Single Vidar Stereo, DWMs wired in parallel with pass-through to mains (as per Magnepan)
  5. Single Vidar Stereo, DWMs and mains fed independently
that and working out proper placement of DWMs should keep me busy enough!

(edit) ...and buy some time to see what the soon-to-be-released Schiit Tyr looks like!!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #819 of 972
SInce there's no Freya S is anyone using a Magnius balanced in their 2-channel setup?

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #820 of 972
I'm using a Freya+ with stock tubes to connect to my Adam Audio T5V powered monitors. I don't listen at loud volumes so they work just fine for me.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #821 of 972
I'm going from either my computer or Sony bluray player (for CD) via Gumby (A1), or Technics turnable with Mani, into a Freya+ with stock tubes to connect to my Adam Audio T5V powered monitors. My room isn't big and I don't listen at loud volumes so they work just fine for me. Maybe I'll try some Kef LS50 Meta and Vidar monoblocks when I get bored of my setup and decide to upgrade. The Schiit CD transport and Loki Max are definitely on my radar though.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #822 of 972
SInce there's no Freya S is anyone using a Magnius balanced in their 2-channel setup?
I'm running a BF2 balanced into a Jot1, balanced into dual Vidars. Also, I run SE from the BF2 to a Loki, to the Jot1. So I have the pure balanced path, then I have the SE option for sources that need tone control.

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #823 of 972
I'm running a BF2 balanced into a Jot1, balanced into dual Vidars. Also, I run SE from the BF2 to a Loki, to the Jot1. So I have the pure balanced path, then I have the SE option for sources that need tone control.

I also have an EQ (non Schiit) for my SE side for my turntable and (don't laugh) cassette tape deck. My digital chain (TV, bluray/CD player, computer) for headphones (Mjolnir 2 and Sennheiser HD800S) and powered monitors go through my Gungnir 2 (A1) and are pure balanced.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #824 of 972
I ended up trying a passive (Little Bear) and now a high end analog preamp (used Ayre).

The passive was brighter than the Ayre is. The Ayre seems to add a fair amount of warmth (some reviews say tubelike but I've not heard tubes since the 60s :wink:.

What the Ayre really does, in contrast to the passive, is to give a more 3D feel to the music. I use Reiner's Pathetique to test. The violins on the left sound a foot closer, the horns sound like they are much farther back in the hall. The instruments also seem to have a more definite shape.

This latter aspect shows on my other test track, Concerto for Two Violins. I now seem to be able to sense where the two violins are. I've progressed from not being able to tell there were two violins to being able to hear two to now being able to place them on the stage!

I know I wouldn't be hearing all this if it weren't for my Gumby.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #825 of 972
I plan on doing that exact thing in a new system that I'll be setting up once the Magnius back order situation is resolved. I have a Freya S too, so it will be interesting to compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back