Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Dec 13, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #781 of 965
Fort Mill here, howdy neighbor!

alright ! Nice to meet you! You’re not far away at all.. near Indian Land. I’m in Indian Trail. Even sounds close..

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #782 of 965
So.. my love affair with the Freya+ has come to an end.. sighs.. I truly was enjoying it for about 8 months now.. I have some nice NOS Sylvania chrome tops which have nice bloom and texture. I love the passive and Jfet modes! What a great idea, maybe not so much how it’s implemented.. I’m not sure, but there is no doubt about what I’m hearing, or not hearing..
On my office system, I played a song I heard recently and it sounded different, yet from the same source, resolution, etc.. So I played it again and sure enough.. I was hearing more detail and instruments more clearly. This using a Magni 3 as a preamp into a Pass ACA Amp thru my speakers. So... back to the main system..
I put my 16+ year old Django TVC in place of the Freya And replayed the music. using the same cabling, everything.
To my dismay, everything was now there sonically.. Everything was clearer and more crisp/defined. The missing sounds were there.. What? So naturally I suspected the tubes, on to passive and Jfet. Nope.. same !! Schiit !! Somewhere along the path, the Freya is losing resolution or adding grunge.. I don’t know, but Im moving on with something else or the Django will become my Linestage..
When I got my amp, I was warned to match it properly.. I’m going to try something else here real soon.. we shall see..

Hi - I suggest you contact Schiit and let them know what you hear - and that the Magni 3 is sounding great in comparison. They have a long warranty which should cover any issue.

FWIW, I have a Freya+ that I've been using for a little over a year now (already?) and it's been great the entire time - listening right now.

ed

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #783 of 965
alright ! Nice to meet you! You’re not far away at all.. near Indian Land. I’m in Indian Trail. Even sounds close..
Indeed we are really close.

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #784 of 965
So.. my love affair with the Freya+ has come to an end.. sighs.. I truly was enjoying it for about 8 months now.. I have some nice NOS Sylvania chrome tops which have nice bloom and texture. I love the passive and Jfet modes! What a great idea, maybe not so much how it’s implemented.. I’m not sure, but there is no doubt about what I’m hearing, or not hearing..
On my office system, I played a song I heard recently and it sounded different, yet from the same source, resolution, etc.. So I played it again and sure enough.. I was hearing more detail and instruments more clearly. This using a Magni 3 as a preamp into a Pass ACA Amp thru my speakers. So... back to the main system..
I put my 16+ year old Django TVC in place of the Freya And replayed the music. using the same cabling, everything.
To my dismay, everything was now there sonically.. Everything was clearer and more crisp/defined. The missing sounds were there.. What? So naturally I suspected the tubes, on to passive and Jfet. Nope.. same !! Schiit !! Somewhere along the path, the Freya is losing resolution or adding grunge.. I don’t know, but Im moving on with something else or the Django will become my Linestage..
When I got my amp, I was warned to match it properly.. I’m going to try something else here real soon.. we shall see..
If your Django TVC had the Stevens & Billington TX102 core than it is truly special and worth holding on too.

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #785 of 965
2163865C-D0F9-475F-8D22-7D292B85C5B9.jpeg
If your Django TVC had the Stevens & Billington TX102 core than it is truly special and worth holding on too.

Yes it does.. and I will be holding on to it..

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #787 of 965
Indeed we are really close.

My welcome still stands.. I’m home most of the time.. either changing up my room or tweaking something.. would appreciate another set of
ears and feedback. pm me sometime if interested/have the time..
mike

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #788 of 965
Very nice, copper or silver windings? I've got an very old Bent preamp that uses the copper windings. It might be time to dig it out of the closet.

copper transformers, selector wire is silver and upgraded connectors.. Seiden controls.. glad I kept it..

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #789 of 965
copper transformers, selector wire is silver and upgraded connectors.. Seiden controls.. glad I kept it..
give it a try again.. it’s very good.. mine only has 20 steps, the MK1 version..

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #790 of 965
(cat listening to stereo image)
My current audiophile buddy having a listen ..
This is the rebuttal to people saying we don't need high-res music. Our pets need to be catered to as well!

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #791 of 965
Late Merry Christmas to me. Ordered another Schiit Aegir, a pair of Klipsch RP-600s and a Bluesound Vault 2I.

Anyone else have a Vault 2I? If so, I'm sure I will have questions. LOL

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #792 of 965
Hi - I suggest you contact Schiit and let them know what you hear - and that the Magni 3 is sounding great in comparison. They have a long warranty which should cover any issue.

FWIW, I have a Freya+ that I've been using for a little over a year now (already?) and it's been great the entire time - listening right now.

ed
I just but the bullet and ordered a Freya+ the other night. Looking forward to some tube goodness.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #793 of 965
Well, my first set of Electro Harmonix Gold Pin 6SN7 tubes for the Freya+ are starting to get hissy (sign of a tube aging out), so I ordered some replacements. In addition to another set of new EH Gold Pins, I also ordered some NOS 6SN7GTB "from various brands" from the supplier (Tube Depot). They were fulfilled with GE tubes from the 1960s :-/ . I listened to a few things with the GEs, and while they sounded OK, changing back to already-run EH Gold Pins were so much better. I'm keeping the new EH Gold Pins in reserve until the current set goes bad.

In looking at the Reference 6SN7 thread elsewhere on Head-Fi, the GEs are not very highly rated. This is also true on the big Schiit thread too.

Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back